Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / Physics and dynamic object loading in a game ...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have some questions regarding physics and the loading of game objects that will interact with each other using physics.

I use Newton Physics for the most part and have read a little about ODE and know absolutely nothing about Dark Physics.

Here is some background so maybe my question will be a little better understood when I ask it. The loading of games levels seem to come in three flavors.

1 - The entire level is loaded all at once and player makes his way through the level until it is ended and a new level is loaded.

2 - Parts of the level are loaded at pinch points, like say a elevator ride or a short empty hallway. This has some dynamics to it because the entire level is not loaded from the start, just part of it.

3 - The level is loaded constantly becuase the player can go anywhere, kind of like a MMO or a Open World like GTA to Hulk Ultimate Destruction.

All of the example code that I have seen with physics engines have you setup all of the objects that will interact with the system first, then start the simulation.

So does that mean that the only type of level loading possible with physics is "load the whole level all at once" scenario? I have played with Newton some, but it doesn't seem to like having objects thrown into the simulation that did not begin at the start. Has anyone done this successfully with any physics system available for DBPro? ODE? Netwon? Does Dark Physics allow this?

Thanks for too all who respond.

Cassius
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2008 01:28
Quote: "I have played with Newton some, but it doesn't seem to like having objects thrown into the simulation that did not begin at the start."

Can you explain? Because several of the demos show objects falling from the sky when you hit certain keys... that is within the simulation and not at the beginning.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-11 04:08:45
Your offset time is: 2024-05-11 04:08:45