Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / phy start, phy end, phy clear and phy something wrong?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2008 15:17
Hello

Can you tell me what's wrong with the two following programs please? Both of them don't reach main loop and quit without any message!

Thanks
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2008 18:56
Splurk there nothing wrong with what you are doing, but as the physX engine stands at the moment your code will not work, something to do with phy clear and phy delete not working as they should.

You could try posting this demo to Mike Johnson and asking him to see if the engine is at fault or the code.

mean while don't give up just work around what you are doing as you've yet to find out about the vehicle error.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
Splurk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2008 20:29
Thanks for the suggestion.
In fact this is true, vehicles have a lot of trouble that rigid bodies don't have.
But before going to Mike Johnson let's see how others are dealing with this problem...

For me this looks like a snake biting its tail...
The idea was to create and keep the vehicles in memory as long as the program is running, but:
I cannot apply any rotation on vehicles, as this is just crashing, so:
I went to the idea to place then to build the vehicle, but nothing like "delete object" or "phy delete rigid body" works with vehicles very well, then:
I tried to stop all physic instance with phy clear or phy end but it's crashing with vehicles, that's why:
I'm going back to idea of having vehicles kept in memory as long as it's running... etc etc...

But last time I reported a bug it looks like it sank into oblivion. I'm trying to find a way to work around but I'm missing new ideas!
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2008 23:08
Vehicle rotation has to be done just after you've made the object then you make it into a vehicle, even then your wheels will not spin the correct way. for some reason the x axis on a cad system is different to DBPro.

if you find away do tell as I spent some time on it but could not find one apart form getting very confused.

Splurk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2008 09:43
Yeah but the problem with rotation before making the vehicle is that because I cannot delete or reinitialise the vehicle once built, I cannot do a "restart game" without exiting the program.
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2008 18:58
perhaps they do work because I know they where being used in the compo demos, as it was the a way to change from soft to gpu, so if you have the demo code give it a look you might see away to do what you want.

Kendor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2008 20:53
The crash seems to happens when you add the wheels for the second time. If you remove that part of code, the vehicle is created again with the wheels already attached to it. Probably something to do with how the vehicle hierarchy is handled. As HowDo said, send everything to Mike, explaining the problem happens when you try to add wheels.

Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why.
Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why.
Splurk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2008 21:32
Ok let's see with Mike then!
General Reed
Years of Service
User Offline
Yup DarkPhysics is in need of a serious bug route out. Who agrees?

CPU: AMD X2 6000+ 3.0ghz GFX: NVIDIA BFG Geforce 8800GTS 640MB OC-550mhz core RAM: 2048mb

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2008 20:53
I think its coming soon, (how ever long that is). see Lee's video from convention 08.

Darkowen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2008 00:07 Edited at: 24th Oct 2008 00:09
As i just posted i had the exact same problem with Phy clear and end..they would just crash my PC, so what i did to clear everything was simply.

instead of letting phy clear clear everything i had to do it manually and this way seemed to work for me
Splurk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2008 01:19
It's not working here... but Mike reported to me that it was more a vehicle specific bug than something else

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 08:29:44
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 08:29:44