Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / Block-Fort Re-make (Mariokart N64)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I just threw this idea together and was wondering how you guys think this mutiplayer map could be improved. I'll release it when I'm done of course.
Players: 4 (max)
Score to win: 25 Frags
Starting Wep: Pistol
Weapons on map:
*2x Uzi
*2x Mp40
*2x Mas36
*2x Tavor
*1x Mossberg
Here's the pics, and here's the download if you want to check it out.
Please don't spam with useless nonsense like "This sucks sh**!"
Yes, I understand it's non great, please understand that it's not finished, I'm putting it up so I can get help from the community and see what you people enjoy in multiplayer gameplay.
Thank you to all of the helpful people.
~MasterXMP
Pictures:

Thank you for the input.

"Some people complain about insanity, but I enjoy every minute of it."
Game Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Welcome to the forums, MasterXMP. Your game looks like garbage... Sorry but a game full of stock media and no custom media isn't what I would really play... You can find alot of free models in the TGC store and the models & media section of the forums.

I wish you luck with your future projects.

Don't click the image, it links to an image hosting site!
MasterXMP
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, as hash as the comment was, thank you for the help, I'll be buying some custom media shortly and will definitely add it to future games and old games that I may or may not edit.
Have any specific suggestions as to what I should buy?

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
I see nothing wrong with using stock media, its not the media rhat makes an MP game its about gameplay.
Try to create more tunnels and areas for a player to hide in, create shadowey areas too, the only thing really wrong with your map is its a little too open making it a turkey shoot more than a seek and destroy the enemy, which for me is what makes MP fun.
Frankie Pawnage5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2008 02:28
Quote: "Welcome to the forums, MasterXMP. Your game looks like garbage."

HAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! that was one of the greatest lines of all time, thats going in my sig, LOL.

anyway, i agree though.

dude if you really want a turkey sandwich, then make one, and make ham.sdaF?
MasterXMP
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you, See people, that's the responses that I'm looking for!
O, nooby question rolfy, what's the easiest way to make completely black shadowed areas?
Thanks, I'll change my map up shortly.

Game Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2008 02:52 Edited at: 29th Oct 2008 02:58
I just thought the game would look something like Mariokart64, because the name is "Block-Fort Re-make (Mariokart N64)" but instead all it's all WW2 stock media, i'm not saying stock media sucks but WW2 items in a Mario game re-make, lol. And for a Mario re-make it looks like garbage.

Quote: "O, nooby question rolfy, what's the easiest way to make completely black shadowed areas?"

Try lightmapping...

MasterXMP
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, it wasn't supposed to be a completely exact re-make. It was just supposed to have the same structure. Since I don't know how to make segments I can't make it look too much like the real Mariokart.
Also, try lightmapping isn't too descriptive but I'm sure I can figure it out...

Game Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Also, try lightmapping isn't too descriptive but I'm sure I can figure it out..."

File> Preferences

Quote: "Since I don't know how to make segments I can't make it look too much like the real Mariokart"

Use: MagicFPS or Firma

Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2008 06:50
Guys stop being so harsh, Hey MasterXMP its a good attempt for your first mp game. What i recommend is the following

1) Add lights (not too many)

2) Download some media from the forums much is free and great.

3) Download the Community guide.

4) For custom entity's download Entity workshop and for segments try Firma or Magic fps.

5)Mess with the preferences and the .ini. file for good results.

6) (Most Important!) Have fun!

Now thats how you need to reply to a newcomers thread. You too should be more palit in my opinion i mean as honest as you where its a bit uncalled for. And Frankie i know your a freind and my partner and all but look at your join date your not that gracious plus iv seen alot of your maps and they look alot like those of his quality. Plus you gave up on the engine within two months.

Game Maker you could be more helpful as well.

Just some C&C for you two something that will make you more enjoyable not your games quality or the media you give, But your attitude and your helpfulness to the community.
Just a thought

BTW, Good Job Man hope to see more improvments.

RAMPAGE STOLE MY CHEEZ-ITS!
Game Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2008 07:22 Edited at: 31st Oct 2008 07:28
Quote: "Guys stop being so harsh"

People were harsh on us when we were noobs (well, I was a noob for a really, really long time), I was just giving him some tips on how to improve with his future projects. Also, can you tell me what Frankie did that you think would be mean enough for you to say:
Quote: "Frankie i know your a freind and my partner and all but look at your join date your not that gracious plus iv seen alot of your maps and they look alot like those of his quality. Plus you gave up on the engine within two months."
All Frankie said was:
Quote: "HAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! that was one of the greatest lines of all time, thats going in my sig, LOL."

Quote: "Game Maker you could be more helpful as well."

Can you link me to some threads where I wasn't being "more helpful"?

Anyways, i'd like to give you some congrats on the much better grammar.

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "People were harsh on us when we were noobs (well, I was a noob for a really, really long time), I was just giving him some tips on how to improve with his future projects. Also, can you tell me what Frankie did that you think would be mean enough for you to say: "

Jesus Christ.. People don't know what the definition of harsh is on these forums no more. Well I'm going to define it again..
Harsh Crit is not "Dude, your model is bad, like blah blah" the "like blah blah" is the constructive part. But it seems when one negative comment comes aboard its time for a evacuation, Game Maker I must agree your comment was harsh, as you gave little help, but it wouldn't be classed as harsh crit, as you did try to help. I must know this as I was always accused for Harsh Crit ages ago, hell if it wasn't for me Moon Rising wouldn't be there.lol

"Your greatest teacher is your harshest critic"-Butterfingers
Samuellx3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2008 22:16
your new, and fair enough your imagination is alot better than mine was when i started so keep on trying
good luck!

-Noobyshot
MasterXMP
Years of Service
User Offline
I would just like to start off saying, Punk13 you are my idol.
I've been working hard to get at least 1 good multiplayer map together and I've completed the structure of it. (Not entities, only essentials)
Now thanks to the advice it's decent and looks like it's going to turn out nicely. I hope to post it soon and get a review from you people.
A few easy questions:
1) Should maps have a theme or can they be jumbled (Similar entities and prelabs, ect...)
2) How do you lightmap so that spots are almost pitch black, because I can only get them so dark.
Thank most of you for being so helpful,
~MasterXMP

Pbcrazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2008 23:50
1.) i generally go for a theme, check out my MP game in my sig for some ideas on how to do this

even something as simple as just having a wharehouse, or a courtyard, will add to the...feel of the level.

2.)turn the ambience quite a ways down (the "<" & ">" keys while in testing mode. then add some light markers (with changed colors, white is not a good color to use generally) around the map with thier range set to somewhere between 250-50 (500 is rather ridiculous).

i suggest adding some light fixture entities around the map where they might be in real life, them placing the light marker next to them. this is something that is often looked at by members of this forum, and it just makes your game look better.

hope this helps.

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2008 03:22
Also, if you are making a night version, and you want to simulate a moon light effect, place a single light marker (with a grey color. Never use the standard white) at least 5 layers above the highest floor and set the intensity to 1000. It will also help to edit the lightmapquality=X value in your setup.ini. I have mine set at about 150. It'll take longer to build, but the lights will look beautiful. (Hopefully...)

The map does resemble the N64 map, so that's a start, but if you want it to look really similar, try your hand at making textures that you would find in the game. These would generally look cartoony and unrealistic, but then again, what about Mario Kart is realistic...

Once you make/find your textures, use Firma to import them into FPSC. You can then make your map using custom textures and make it look very similar to MK64.

Overall, the layout is sound, but like others before me have mentioned, the WWII segments do not match up with the cartoony feel of MK. Change that, and add in those lights and you've got yourself a great game. Can't wait to see more from you.

Gunn3r Games
Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2008 04:25
Lol, no problem man and listen to Gunn3rs tips he is amazing at this type of stuff.

RAMPAGE STOLE MY CHEEZ-ITS!
rakker126
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, were can you find the setup.ini?

IV
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2008 18:47

Gunn3r Games
rakker126
Years of Service
User Offline
ty

IV
Frankie Pawnage5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2008 00:20
Quote: "hell if it wasn't for me Moon Rising wouldn't be there.lol"

Lol true that....

Quote: "All Frankie said was:
Quote: "HAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! that was one of the greatest lines of all time, thats going in my sig, LOL.""

Thanks game maker.
@Jake- calm down, even game makers comment was just crit, your too soft. if someone had a block and a colt 45 in a 3 segment map, you'd be like "OMG YOU DID AN AWESOME JOB OMG" just tell people what oyu think, thats what he asked for.

Quote: "Jesus Christ.. People don't know what the definition of harsh is on these forums no more. Well I'm going to define it again..
Harsh Crit is not "Dude, your model is bad, like blah blah" the "like blah blah" is the constructive part. But it seems when one negative comment comes aboard its time for a evacuation, Game Maker I must agree your comment was harsh, as you gave little help, but it wouldn't be classed as harsh crit, as you did try to help. "

There you go, properly worded, accurate description, haha.

Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2008 07:15
Erm....No, At least i tell them how to improve things not to be rude Frankie but i can pull out dozens of times when you where way to harsh on people and didn't help. Plus in my opinion i wouldn't care so much for anyone's opinion if i created it and i worked hard and enjoyed doing it i wouldn't care who likes it or not.

Xtinction Coming Soon.
Frankie Pawnage5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2008 20:42
Quote: "Plus in my opinion i wouldn't care so much for anyone's opinion if i created it and i worked hard and enjoyed doing it i wouldn't care who likes it or not."

Then dont bother people when they give their opinion....

Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2008 20:46
....You didnt get my point he dosent have to care about anyone's opinion so in a way your just wasting time..Plus i dont think this was CRIT Or a (polite opinion)

Quote: "Welcome to the forums, MasterXMP. Your game looks like garbage..."

Quote: "
Quote: "Welcome to the forums, MasterXMP. Your game looks like garbage."
HAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! that was one of the greatest lines of all time, thats going in my sig, LOL.

anyway, i agree though."

Maybe you need to tone it down and be nicer

Xtinction Coming Soon.
Frankie Pawnage5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2008 20:55
well i'll do what i want. you worry about yourself.

darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2008 21:44
You guys are going to get slapped so quit arguing please.

Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2008 22:21
Quote: "well i'll do what i want. you worry about yourself."

K, just saying you dont have a right to make someone feel crappy about their work. Get slapped for all i care dude. You really push the lines on the AUP. But whatever when your nice and helpful people will respect you more. Bu acting the way you do no wonder why everyone gives you the worst attitude. Just saying Carma will come back to you. All im saying is you have been around for not even six months and you act like your SO talented and own the place. Which you dont so all im saying for your own sake lighten up and be nicer. If someone acted like how you act to newcomers im sure you wouldnt be here now but since you where greeted with respect you stayed so you should return the favor.

But whatever i feel like im talking to brick wall anyway....

Any new updates on the mp map?

Xtinction Coming Soon.
Frankie Pawnage5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2008 01:35 Edited at: 5th Nov 2008 01:54
EDIT - nvm....

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2008 09:27 Edited at: 6th Nov 2008 09:29
@Frankie:

Your post caused the most annoyanc for me because, in reality, you had nothing to say at all. It wasn't even YOUR opinion. You simply said "I agree".... and that doesn't really mean much, nor does it constitute a need for a post. He asked for crit, not a show of hands.

Quote: "EDIT - nvm"

Smart choice.

@game maker & Deathead:

Harsh is harsh, whether constructive or not.

Saying "garbage" is much harsher than saying "it needs work". They both get the point across and one is less degrading than the other. If you choose to go the harsher route, I'll remember it and go the harsher route when criting your work because I believe in the golden rule stating that others want to be treated the way they treat everyone else.

@game maker:

Cry me a river and get over it. It's thoughts like yours that keep the world from moving forward. To think that you need to treat EVERYONE like crap just because you were treated like crap doesn't make progress to a better place. Vengeance on people who did you no injustice is pretty despicable, if you ask me.

@MasterXMP:

Showing initiative to make a game is a good start. Posting up your progress and asking for ways to improve is an even better start.

Listen to people here (even the mean people) who show constructive criticism and you're sure to get going on the right track. Adding lights to your level will definitally add to the atmosphere of your game, but be careful with an open roof since having a dark level when there should be ambient light doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

IMHO, custom media is optional. You can do many great things with stock media, I've seen it done before so I know.

Good start, but keep at it!

The one and only,

Those who live in the past, are destined to insanity. Those who live only for the future, will be slaves to their ambitions.
Those who live in the moment... only they, are truly happy.
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2008 11:23
Sock it to 'em, Ply.

Anyway, IMO the way the segments are placed is a little iffy. And practically every FPSC game needs lights.

Keep it up.

Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2008 16:33 Edited at: 6th Nov 2008 16:47
...well spoken, Plystire.

...rude, inflammatory, and just plain way out of line, Game Maker.

...there is absolutely nothing wrong with using stock media. It's how it's utilized that will be the defining factor.

Personally, I think this level looks quite bland (mostly because the stock media has been done to death), but overall it has real potential.

I also must agree with comments regarding the lack of lighting. A few well placed lights can really help to create mood, atmosphere, and aid in keeping the player's interest in your game.

I'd definitely take full advantage of the vast assortment of custom free media that's available for DL. Incorporate it into this level, make it your own, and I think you'll be well on your way to having a very playable and interesting level...

Game Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Seth Black:

Quote: "name is "Block-Fort Re-make (Mariokart N64)" but instead all it's all WW2 stock media, i'm not saying stock media sucks but WW2 items in a Mario game re-make, lol."
puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
one word LIGHTS. They will make your game look exponentially better.

Also, there has been an explosion of free weapons around, you can use those instead of the stock. This has potential, just keep it up.
Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2008 23:04
This is so weird. Just a few months ago I made a remake of Block Fort... then lost it with the hard drive. Well, kudos.

Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2008 14:00
@Game Maker,

Quote: "name is "Block-Fort Re-make (Mariokart N64)" but instead all it's all WW2 stock media, i'm not saying stock media sucks but WW2 items in a Mario game re-make, lol."

...okay. Your quote...I get it. I saw it when you originally posted it.

Yet your original insulting statement remains. Why is that? What purpose does it serve?

Thistle Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2008 20:33 Edited at: 9th Nov 2008 20:36
I agree with Seth Black, I mean, its very hurtful to say:

I would have said:

Welcome to the forums, MasterXMP. I'd have to say it looks a lot like the Block Fort level from Mario Kart (a fan meself) although there is a program which you can use to make the custom textures from Block Fort, its called Signs IV.

Less insulting, more detailed, more helpful.

EDIT: There is also a program called Weapon Creator, if you are skilled at modelling, you could actually resemble the weapons from Mario Kart. For example a Shell Launcher, or an Ink Blaster. Maybe have Stars as "Adrenaline" from Plystires Mod.

MasterXMP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2008 20:49 Edited at: 9th Nov 2008 20:54
Wow this post is still going... This post was made before I even bought the full version of FPSC, I've progressed a lot since then so this is not a problem anymore. I just can't believe how long this went on for, I have to go back now and read all of this... urg...
Thanks for whoever gave advice instead of rude comments. I'll read through all this now i guess...

Edit:
Alright I read over everything. Thanks for all the advice, I'm actually bored atm so I'm going to re-do this map and then I'll post it up and you guys can see what improvement I've made over the short time I've had FPSC.
I don't take criticism offensively as long as it has a point to it. Mindless text on why I suck doesn't help me at all.

Thistle Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2008 21:03
Some posts carry on for ages! Plys Mod is competing with efxMod at the moment, efxMod has over 1,000 posts, Plys is catching up with around 970 was it?

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2008 21:07
Quote: "Plys Mod is competing with efxMod at the moment,"

Not really.....

MasterXMP
Years of Service
User Offline
@Coffegrunt
Are you in a bad mood today (no offence) cause all of your posts I've seen today have been pretty negetive.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2008 21:20
Quote: "Are you in a bad mood today (no offence) cause all of your posts I've seen today have been pretty negetive."

?

MasterXMP
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, After 1 hour and 1/2 I finished the basic structure of the level lol. I used mostly custom segments and I also already put in my custom sign entities. I still have to do lighting, entities, weapons (I don't count that as entities), and final proofing. Should take awhile so I'll post my progress if you guys care.
Like I said, I got a lot better but I'm still not great.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2008 02:43
For this level, I'd say use an ambient white light around 75 with a sun light angling shadows off the segments. That'd provide the right feel for the way it was.

The one and only,

Those who live in the past, are destined to insanity. Those who live only for the future, will be slaves to their ambitions.
Those who live in the moment... only they, are truly happy.
MasterXMP
Years of Service
User Offline
@Plystire
That's good advice but It's now an indoor map completely, I'll do lighting but it will not include the sun and other natural lights.

rosemary
Years of Service
User Offline
MasterXMP

lol i wouldnt worry if i were you.
all the custom media and knoledge dont make
a good game. for instance take a look at some of the critics
games lol,
i like your map and it does have some work to do but at least you have something to work on.
instead of making hundreds of games in the show case and becoming vapour ware, keep up the good work, look at the tutorials
and you will see lots of ideas on modeling custom media.
even find the programs to use to get started in moddeling custom goodies, but most important have fun doing it, like i said its 1 thing to make custom media but to use it is another thing .

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 05:44:20
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 05:44:20