Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Rock Shock 3D

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2008 02:25 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2008 15:42
Rock Shock 3D

Before reading this thread you may already be considering, or may like to consider why I used 3D in the title. This is done because there was originally a Rock Shock, made by Soharix, but as it was not made in a TGC program, no one has heard of it. (If you'd like to play it before this version, it is available on the downloads page of Soharix)

Rock Shock 3D is a cooperative top down shooter with a very basic story line consisting of:
The blips made some rocks turn into demons. 2 rocks remained to fight through the demons and kill the blips.
Rock Shock 3D also features a completely unrealistic theme, where rocks are mobile and can project cannon balls (somehow).

The 2 players, Gold rock and Silver/Grey rock must, as already stated, fight their way through the hords of demon rocks and blips to reach the end.

Some ingame screenshots follow:

Soharix will be moving onto a newer greater project now Rock Shock 3D is finished.

Rock Shock 3D was only made due to the fact that for many years people have always told me how fun the original Rock Shock was and I always wanted to make a 3D version.

Version 1.1 is available here:

Controls:
Gold rock (right hand screen):
Arrowkeys to move, right control to shoot.
Silver rock (left hand screen):
WASD to move, left control to shoot.

Press space to restart a level. (Usually used when both players are dead.)

Extra info:
Those funny looking green and grey boxes give you 50 ammo and the little black piles of cannon balls give you 10.
The green and blue spinning circles are teleporters and the purple and blue spinning circles are the ends to levels.
There are secret walls all over the levels, this is demonstrated in the very first room you start in.
Everything else in the game, will kill you if you touch it or let it shoot you.

Enjoy
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2008 15:44
Version 1.1 has been released.

It includes 2 major bug fixes.
1. No where did it say on the help screen how to restart levels. (It now does.)
2. The game now runs at a sync rate of 60 so there isn't such a noticable difference when there are lots of enemies and projectiles being processed at once.

This version is available from the same place:
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2008 23:32
looks great, I'm downloading it now =P
one thing, It's late and i'm jet lagged (Been on holiday) but those screenshots sure look 2d to me probs just the camera, if so (if you can't already) it might be an idea to add some way of moving the camera around a bit, just to make use of the 3d aspect.
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2008 00:35
@ blobby 101
Yeh, originally the game was going to be an FPS.
But splitscreen FPSs suck with just a keyboard, so I decided to put the camera exactly where it was in the original game, because everyone liked that game.

So basically, its a complete modern 3D remake of the original, with nothing actually changed about it. (If I changed it too much, the original audience of Rock Shock wouldn't apreciate the update.)

DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 00:43
Woot! I havn't been on the forums for a while but whenever I check in I look to see if you have made any WIP or Program Announcements threads, it looks like you have made both. Anyway I downloaded it and played it with my brother. I didn't really like how you couldn't tell where the switches were for the doors, and it seemed pretty easy but other then that it's a pretty sweet game.

DBPro, limited by the programmer.
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 13:58
@ DB PROgrammer
Yeh I'll admit straight off that the original Rock Shock is better and more fun.

And the switches are usually the wall opposite a door. (Just so ya know, xD)

But I'm GLaD you liked it and I was quite pleased to hear you check for WIPs and PAs from me when you come on.
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2008 02:03
Ehh... are you sure this isn't 2D? It reaaaally looks 2D to me

3.11 We do not tolerate posts made for the purpose of putting down another forum member, group of members, religion, our company, our staff or any of our moderators, past or present.
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2008 14:17
@ Xenocythe
Lol, for the last time, yes, it is 3D but it looks 2D because of the perspective.

The point is that it's a version of the original Rock Shock done in DBP, not specifically that it's a 3D game.
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Thats awesome due i like the art style

The admiral
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2008 15:16
@ The admiral
Lol, thanks.

Quote: "i like the art style"

I don't. xD - I think the game looks ugly, but oh well.
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2009 02:26 Edited at: 10th Jan 2009 02:28
Pretty cool, but it feels a bit unfinished. The engine works pretty well. Gauntlet is a lot of fun, and you've got the basics to make that. Here's some constructive criticism:

The levels are a bit bland. If you had more than one wall or floor tile, it'd look a whole lot nicer. Also you could do with more enemies, or at least introducing them sooner. (The same criticisms can be made of most of my games ) Things got more fun when the cats or whatever started firing fireballs.

I stopped before i saw any tanks or giant guys like in your screenshots, because i got bored traipsing around looking for the exit, or the key/switch or whatever. Having the levels so samey also makes it easier to get lost. Remember the player doesn't know your game as well as you do. I make this mistake a lot! Maybe the levels with tanks and stuff are fun but i never saw them.

You can't see the door switches at the moment. Wall skimming to find switches is not fun. Bit like repeatedly pressing action whilst skimming the walls in resident evil, or constantly searching bodies in Bioshock.

You can't leave your guy facing diagonally, unless you miraculously let go of up/down and sideways at exactly the same time. It's be nice to face diagonally without moving sometimes to fire at enemies without running into them.

The movement seems a little slow. Perhaps the speed is OK but the levels are too empty.

Anyway this is pretty solid, but would benefit from more work/content. I also heard you were making some kind of top down game with mouse aiming and WASD movement. That sounds sweet. Kind of want to make something like that myself someday. I should play "vision" too but need to sign up to filefront. Anyway good luck with developing this, that or the other.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2009 15:36 Edited at: 11th Jan 2009 15:37
@ Mr Tank
Haha, the "cats" that fire fireballs. Lol, the game is called "Rock" Shock, because it's about Rocks, not cats. xD

Yeh, the game is not made how I would make a game nowadays, it is a poorly done 3D remake of an old (and probably poorly made) 2D game.

The movement is slow, and would have been faster if I made the game better.

Playing Vision would be an experience, if you do both the training centre and as far as the gameplay went, but I stopped Vision a long time ago, and would only ever return to it in the unlikely event that I felt I wanted to start all over again and totally remake it.

This other game I might have mentioned once was called Base of Fire and was never WIPd. If you'd like to play it, you may download it free of charge and all the stuff from the attachment on this post, because I don't really intend to go back to it, as it didn't really work very well.

But this is not Soharix's current project. We aren't making a WIP for our current project because we don't want it advertised too early, but if you'd like to have a look, you can always E-Mail me (c0wbox&hotmail*co*uk (replace & with @ and * with .) and I'll be only too happy to show you it's mini-site on the Soharix website.

EDIT:
Uploaded Base of Fire to:
http://www.soharix.homestead.com/Base_of_Fire.zip
because attaching it isn't working.
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2009 02:43
OK dude i'll send you an email. Attatchment doens't work BTW. It downloads a 0 byte file "1667589".

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2009 15:22 Edited at: 11th Jan 2009 15:28
@ Mr Tank
Yeh I had to edit it to put the attachment on, and I don't trust the post editor, so I'll repost the attachment from scratch with this post.

(And just incase you get confused with how to play:
Right click moves the player to the cursor and left click fires his flamethrower to the cursor.)

EDIT:
Gah, stupid forums, I'll just upload it to Soharix and give you the link:
http://www.soharix.homestead.com/Base_of_Fire.zip
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2009 20:28
Nice one dude. It's very cool. I made a nicer flamethrower effect than that i think a while ago. If you ever want to pick this up again i can dig it out. Nice engine. Runs pretty quick. Reminds me of Alien Breed. If you were continuing it i'd suggest two things -

1) keep it on the one level at a time - either completely one level, or hiding higher levels and fading them in as you go upstairs etc.

2) put movement to the keyboard- wasd or arrow keys. At the moment it's a bit fiddly. You could put secondary fire to the right mouse button.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 05:17:23
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 05:17:23