Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / Doomsday RPG Episode 1

Author
User Banned
Posted: 1st Dec 2008 19:16
Yes its true,im making a RPG game in FPSC.The game is about normal real life.Each episode is 1 day,it will include up to 10 levels packed with stuff to do,you can go to quick food restaurants or hot dog stands to gain health,you need to go from one part of town to the other one,many enterable buildings,loads of realistic stuff lying around,people walking around,packed with sound and fx effects,cars driving around ect ect.Its a long project,all the media is/will be scratch made by me.Theres no player history or name,lets just say its you and you just moved into town,here we go,the story.Why only 2 screens yet? Beacause i have school obligations and it aint easy making all the custom media.Have fun and enjoy till next screens,and very big please comment.

Current FPSC Projects:
When Zombies Attack-10%

Attachments

Login to view attachments
djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 1st Dec 2008 19:19
Oh and i forgot to mention a freakish cool feature,once you hurt any people the nearest cops will start attacking you,if they get close to you,they arrest you and you have to start over again.

Current FPSC Projects:
When Zombies Attack-10%

Attachments

darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2008 21:47
Quote: "Oh and i forgot to mention a freakish cool feature,once you hurt any people the nearest cops will start attacking you,if they get close to you,they arrest you and you have to start over again.
"
Do you already have this scripted?

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2008 23:04
With variables it would be pretty simple You could also use the settargetname command, and activatetarget command, to achieve the same effect, although all police officers would need to have the same name (and even then, I don't know if it applies to all or just the first it finds with the name).

Bendak11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2008 23:07
You could just walk off the edge of the world

Is it meant to be like this, or will you be editing it so I can't see the skybox?

Akten
Years of Service
User Offline
You should call it "Real Life:The Game"
djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 13:56
thanks all,no i havent scripted it yet but i have an idea which is very easy achievable,simple all peds will have name ped,the cops will have a script once the ped character has less than 99 health they attack you,till then they simply follow waypoints

and this is only a small piece of the town so dont think thats it,theres loads still comming,also when the series is over i will be releasing most of the models for free,isnt it just great?

right now im making the basic layout for the town,i will make some graffitis ect. and most importantly more building variations,there will be burger restaurants,alleys with druggers and hobos that attack you when you get close ect.in one word= "awesome"

Current FPSC Projects:
When Zombies Attack-20% (ON HOLD)
Doomsday RPG-5%
Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 16:57
Arrogant at all?
Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 17:25
Quote: "Oh and i forgot to mention a freakish cool feature,once you hurt any people the nearest cops will start attacking you,if they get close to you,they arrest you and you have to start over again."

...hmmmn. I'm not so sure if this is going to make for great gameplay, with FPSC.

Quote: "...i have an idea which is very easy achievable,simple all peds will have name ped,the cops will have a script once the ped character has less than 99 health they attack you,till then they simply follow waypoints..."

...the police will attack and arrest the player immediately on sight, whether a pedestrian was just attacked in front of them, or 30 minutes ago, in a dark alley. That's not going to be very much fun, or very realistic.

Based on your scripting plan, if one pedestrian receives any kind of damage, of any kind, the player will spend all of his time running from the police...over the course of the entire level's gameplay. I'd definitely give this some attention, and plan a different strategy.

Are you attempting to emulate the feeliing and gameplay of Postal 2? If not, I suggest you research the gameplay, and see if you can capture some of the elements, as they could best serve your game title.

Just a suggestion: try to create the consequence for harming pedestrians, for the player, but also give the player some sort of enticement for why they should be willing to face the risk for doing so.

With some overhaul, I think that you may well be onto a very good concept here. I look forward to see how you evolve it further...

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 23:42
how about this: use the plrdistwithin=x condition along with the other way and start a timer. then when the timer gets past a certain point and the plrdistfurther=x then the cop can activate itself to its default state=0 line and it goes back to whatever it did before the pursuit.

I know not with what weapons WWIII will be fought but WWIV will be fought with sticks and stones-Albert Einstein
Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 00:02
Also, your damage script is flawed in other ways. What happens if an NPC is damaged by a fall or an object or a bug? It also means that no matter how secluded a place you will ALWAYS get chased. Your idea gives players no freedom if they choose to play the RPG in that way. I think it'll get boring and frustrating very quickly.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 01:35 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2008 01:36
If your going to attempt an RPG in FPSC which would be a fantastic achievement. Save yourself a bunch of time creating custom content after school, purchase model pack 19, download Ply's mod and go from there.

If you get the opportunity try and play Fallout 3 to see how a RPG/FPS hybrid should be done for inspiration.

Real life simulators don't tend to be all that much fun because you need to have a theme and a storyline even in open ended games to stop them becoming unrewarding.

Focus on plot, storylines, mission variety, character development and the world will automatically start feeling more real.

Genuinely enlightening moments in RPG's can sometimes be the ones where nothing in particular is going on at all but you feel completely immersed in the game world. I love those moments man.
Braden 713
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 02:03
Its a really good idea man, hope you can achieve this and you seem to have the right direction in mind. Cant wait to see more of this, but i just had one question actually...

If its just based on simple, real world; real life ideas, why is the name of the game "doomsday"?
djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 12th Dec 2008 14:05 Edited at: 12th Dec 2008 14:08
theres no story right now,first i just need to make a functional city,i wont use any already made models,this game is a challenge for me making it fully scratch,originaly it was supposed to be a game taking place in the worst winter storm till now but the stuff has changed,what im trying to do with this game is join all posibilities into a fpsc rpg game and push it to the limits with little lag.it aint a real rpg game beacause you still have to follow a storyline,oh when im at storyline lets see it:

You are a normal man who moved here into town.You live in a small apartment with your wife,she acts all strangely till she dissapears.Now some people are looking for you.You have to get through days normally but you will encounter some problems:them trying to kill you.You soon find out your wife wasnt as clean as you tought.

oh and bout that hurting peds and trouble and stuff,you cant hurt peds actually when normally walking around,you can only hurt cops and enemies later on when they think you killed your wife,...now i told too much

Current FPSC Projects:
Doomsday RPG-5%
djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 17th Dec 2008 19:44
ever wanted to eat a digital kebab? now you can! at burger hit you can buy kebabs,hamburgers,cheeseburgers,frenchfries or soda! you gain 10 health points! eat at burger hit today!

Current FPSC Projects:
Doomsday RPG-5%

Attachments

Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2008 21:08
It looks pretty bland. It needs some lightmaps. You also need to add more entities, such as cars, an ACTUAL menu, perhaps some barriers for the drive-through, litter etc etc.
djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 18th Dec 2008 16:24 Edited at: 18th Dec 2008 16:28
1.lightmaps,why do i need them when im building a large city and i want test games quicker? nope
2.you probably didnt notice and you actually dont know that behind me there were no entities,the screen is just for tehnical showoff
3.menu? im not at build game yet and there wont be any menu till the demo.i will add more stuff but the screen was just for the fancy roof and signs showoff

why cant people look from the other side? THE GAME IS MADE FROM FULLY CUSTOM MODELS so it aint easy to make all the trash and stuff and stuff and stuff beacause it takes time

Current FPSC Projects:
Doomsday RPG-5%
doomswars
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Arrogant at all?"

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2008 19:27
@djmaster,
Lightmaps will take a little bit of time, but will accentuate the surrounding custom models. Every single AAA FPS right now has lightmaps. Show me one that doesn't and I'll eat my hat.

Gunn3r Games
Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2008 21:16
Quote: "1.lightmaps,why do i need them when im building a large city and i want test games quicker? nope"

That isn't a good strategy. If you build a huge level and then start adding lights, there's a good chance FPSC will start bugging out and you could lose alot of your level due to the infamous Debug error. Also, anything you post up here will get critisized. How are we supposed to know that these are just test shots? I'm afraid I can't read your mind, sorry to disappoint.

Quote: "2.you probably didnt notice and you actually dont know that behind me there were no entities,the screen is just for tehnical showoff"

Why should I be concerned about what's behind you in the screen? You post a screen, I'll rate what's show in the screen! Simple as that.

Quote: "3.menu? im not at build game yet and there wont be any menu till the demo.i will add more stuff but the screen was just for the fancy roof and signs showoff"

Menu as in a menu model... Like this?
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3024/2714776001_59c3115e79.jpg

Quote: "why cant people look from the other side? THE GAME IS MADE FROM FULLY CUSTOM MODELS so it aint easy to make all the trash and stuff and stuff and stuff beacause it takes time"

Congratulations! You've made lots of models! Really, it's nothing to go crazy about. Alot of members on the forum make most of their own media. I suggest you build a full scene before you show us screens because at the moment your making all of your models look bad due to the blandness of the environment.
djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 19th Dec 2008 15:50
i mixed up menu(ingame menu) with the food menu,if you look closely theres a small table on the wall,thats the food menu

Current FPSC Projects:
Doomsday RPG-5%
Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2008 19:36
Quote: "if you look closely theres a small table on the wall,thats the food menu
"

No it isn't! It's an old shopping receipt someone stuck there with a piece of chewing gum. I know it's supposed to be a menu which is why I said "ACTUAL menu" as in "That bit of paper looks terribly out of place, try making a proper one".
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2008 22:40
Seriously, it isn't a tech demo, because you haven't made the tech. It's not an environmental demo, because it has no lightmaps and looks unrealiticly awful...

It's just a glorified mish-mash od random stuff, it has no atmosphere, and is desperately bland...

djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 20th Dec 2008 09:56
and i said lightmaps are comming

Current FPSC Projects:
Doomsday RPG-5%
Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2008 12:21
While they will improve your game (if you place them correctly) but they won't solve the blandness...
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2008 14:08
Quote: "@djmaster,
Lightmaps will take a little bit of time, but will accentuate the surrounding custom models. Every single AAA FPS right now has lightmaps. Show me one that doesn't and I'll eat my hat."

I'm not quite sure, but don't modern FPS-games like crysis or far cry 2 make use of realtime-lighting only? Lightmaps might be bad for such big games due to their required (V)RAM. However, still I'm not sure..
And for FPSC-games realtimelight is probably not an option to seriously think about, so here lightmapping indeed seems to be the best solution.

djmaster: While the concept sounds interesting and potentially fun, the screenshot did not really convince me (obviously they did not really convince anyone here). While I do not want to demotivate you, you might think about reacting to the criticism by improving your game instead of explaining that everything anybody tells you is wrong. Anyways, good luck with it.

Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2008 23:02
I thought Gunner meant every big FPS game in this forum?
djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Dec 2008 17:35
i will do it,first i got to finish my longly awaited demo of when zombies attack,so after new year you will be able to see more

Current FPSC Projects:
Doomsday RPG-5%
Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2008 21:51
Quote: "(from city model pack thread)...my doomsday game which is officialy in the trashcan... "

...it's a shame that you're throwing in the towel on this game title.

Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2008 00:31
Wow... Was this because of what was said in this thread?
djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 27th Dec 2008 09:23
no,i dont have any ideas for it,i still have the level saved. i got better ideas for games.

Current FPSC Projects:
Doomsday RPG-5%
Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2009 12:45
Quote: "1.lightmaps,why do i need them when im building a large city and i want test games quicker? nope"

That is very, very ignorant. Absolutely no lighting at all is VERY unrealistic.

Also, using static lights has absolutely no drawbacks, except maybe about 10 or so seconds while they load.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 02:48:11
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 02:48:11