Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Furious Pickaxe

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2008 23:30 Edited at: 7th Dec 2008 23:54
This is a logic game modeled after games such as Mr. Matt and dig dugg. It is the first project created by the DarkNOOBS team (more info if you are interested at the bottom). The idea is that you have to collect every gem and don't get squished by the rocks.

When you walk on the ground, the ground is cleared. If a rock is above ground that gets cleared, it will fall down and pile on top of other rocks at the bottom. The trick is to not get into a position where you are under a rock and 1)have nowhere to go but down (you will die) or 2)the rocks will not pile on you and kill you.

The controls are simple: use the arrows to move and space to restart the level.

Here are some screen shots:

The game was developed by our group of about 3-5 people (depending on when you counted). The actual programmers were new programmers on the DBC forums that joined the team. Their names are Irojo, and Ashingda 27. The team creator is OBese87. Graphics were made by Ashingda 27 and sinisterstuf. The music was made by sinisterstuf. I managed the development of the project from conception to completion.

Here is the link:
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/7/27/1301559/furious_pickaxe.zip

Just unzip it and run the executable. There is a map editor built in that you can use to make your own maps or edit the ones in the game already. If you do create your own maps, just put them in the MAPS folder and make sure they have a .map extension.

If you are interested in the DarkNOOBS team, we always need some new people, and are getting ready to begin our second project. The idea: to get new programmers to learn while doing, with more experienced programmers helping them and guide them through the process of creating games and, in time, even managing a creation of their own as they become more experienced. Here is a link to the thread:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=131352&b=10

Ever notice how in Microsoft word, the word "microsoft" is auto corrected to be "Microsoft" but "macintosh" just gets the dumb red underline?
Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 00:05
Hey, could you post the souce code, too?

~QJ
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 00:36
nice game. not thrilled with the need to load subsequent maps 'manually', but that's a small gripe (btw, use up/down key to pick maps there. mouse functionality and manual name entry didn't work for me).

vista users, you'll need d3drm.dll if you don't have it already (see attached. downloaded from dlldump.com).

i placed the dll directly into the game folder, which worked, but this microsoft msdn page says you can put it elsewhere.

32 Vista > C:\Windows\System32
64 Vista > C:\Windows\SysWOW64

Virtual Nomad . California, USA
AMD Phenom™ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 00:44 Edited at: 8th Dec 2008 00:47
hmm. some issues already. i dropped the column of boulders (map 2) to the left of player (see pic) and ran outta the way and still died...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 00:47
I got that sometimes as well on multiple maps.

~QJ
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 00:55 Edited at: 8th Dec 2008 00:57
i've played a little more now and i think the top boulder (or 2) in the column 'fell' to the right and killed me, but didn't show it before 'game over'. ah well. :/

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "i've played a little more now and i think the top boulder (or 2) in the column 'fell' to the right and killed me, but didn't show it before 'game over'. ah well. :/"

Thats right. It is supposed to show it, but sometimes it doesn't. Just watch out for it. It is a slight bug. Will look into it.

Thanks for the tip with the d3drm.dll I completely forgot about that.

Ever notice how in Microsoft word, the word "microsoft" is auto corrected to be "Microsoft" but "macintosh" just gets the dumb red underline?
Ed222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2008 21:09
You should change your screenshots to png,jpg,gif instead of bmp.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 09:34:09
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 09:34:09