Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Code Snippets / [DBP] Twisty blobby thing

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2008 15:45
I was mucking around, trying to put together an example of the vertexdata commands. I thought that this was interesting:

No plug-ins required

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2008 16:50
That's neat. Would make a nice screensaver.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2008 23:01
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2008 10:53
That's brilliant, should get Lee to add it to the help files or demo section code.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2008 10:44
I like it too
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2008 16:22
Very nice. Just shows how good simple can be.

Pillarofire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2008 09:37
Very Nah-ice.

I needed a way to edit an object's internal data.

So CHANGE MESH sets an object's limb data to that of the mesh? so you could create a new mesh and then use CHANGE MESH to make a new limb? What if the limb doesn't yet exist?

Or even write an ExplodeObject() routine to make an object explode into many little pieces, just by editing the vertex data.

Or a Slice() routine to chop off a limb with any plane to simulate a sword swing.

The possibilities...

Wow, I need to study these commands, I'm getting behind ...
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2008 12:35
Thanks guys - the morphing effect itself was entirely accidental initially, so I can't take too much credit.

@Pillarofire,
All doable. The slice is a bit harder in basic DBPro, but with the addition of my plug-ins, you can change the number of polygons rendered for each limb, simulating the disappearance (cutting off) of polygons from your main limb.

The command you are looking for is ADD LIMB to add a new limb/mesh, not CHANGE MESH

Pillarofire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2008 13:26
Okay thanks, got that part. Could you tell me what the exact difference between a MESH and OBJECT is? Also what properties you can adjust?

Haven't played with your other plug-ins, but I do use your matrix1 libraries. Cheers for that one.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2008 15:55
A mesh (as in MAKE MESH FROM OBJECT) is just vertex data. It has no position, no rotation, no limbs, no textures, no nothing. Just vertices.

An object is a collection of 1 or more limbs, each of which may have a single block of vertexdata attached.
A limb has properties that can be adjusted, such as rotation & position within the object, and it can have mesh data, but doesn't have to.
The mesh data attached to the limb has the vertex and index data and a few values attached that control rendering too - how many primitives should be rendered, how many vertices should be transformed, whether ghosting or transparency is active, what textures have been applied etc.

Pillarofire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2008 22:56
Okay, thank you very much. I appreciate the time.
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2008 03:26 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2008 04:22
OK this is very cool.

I'm intruiged by the "convert object fvf". Should be able to get me some extra speed, plus possibilities with multitexturing and stuff. Cheers.

Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2008 00:36
This is Sweet work IanM, I wonder what else could be achieved with something like this

A dream is a fantasy, if you achieve that fantasy it was never a dream to begin with.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 17:31:04
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 17:31:04