Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Can gravity be disabled for a character controller?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Greetings everyone! I am currently working with DBPro & Dark Physics, and am using a .DBO as a level file (exactly like in the Room Tutorial with Dark Physics).

The problem I am having is that I can't seem to disable gravity (or its effects) for the character controller. I know that it is possible to disable gravity for the entire level as well as for dynamic physics objects, but I can't seem to do this for the main character controller.

Basically what I am trying to do is allow the character controller free-flight, zero-gravity capability within the level while maintaining proper collision with other objects in the level & the level boundaries themselves.

I've tried adjusting global gravity, but it doesn't affect the character controller. I've tried creating a dynamic rigid body box & using its ID to create the character controller, but that won't work either. If I don't use a character controller at all, then I do have zero-g, but no collision handled by Dark Physics (which kinda defeats my whole purpose of using Dark Physics).

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions - thanks!

When this baby hits 88mph, you're gonna see some serious sh..!
Quentin Collins
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, after a bit of searching, I did find the command to set the character controller displacement during movement to allow for free flight (phy set character controller displacement 3, 0.0,0.0, 0.0).

Still, this only really helps if I'm moving forward or backwards, but sliding left & right without rotating the character controller is my next task, and I've a feeling that it's going to require some interesting angle/vector calculations to achieve.

In the meantime, I'm also considering using Sparky's collision (which I have just now begun to use & enjoy - Thanks, Sparky!) for the main character movement/collision, and yet still employing Dark Physics for dynamic objects, etc. Should be an interesting mixture.

In case anyone is wondering, I'm looking at re-creating (or at least attempting to!) a remake of Interplay's Descent...
As always, any comments or suggestions are well appreciated. If I get a reasonably workable demo up & going, I'll be happy to post it up here for all to enjoy.

Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2008 04:21
Quote: "a remake of Interplay's Descent... "

sry for OT, but Sweet! Please make a WIP thread. I've always wanted to remake Descent 2. It was my all time favorite multiplayer game. I still enjoy listening to the Descent 2's CD Music(ie: not the midi music).

Inspirational Music: Descent ][ Redbook Audio CD Soundtrack
Quentin Collins
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, Redbook was cool... and D2 style is exactly what I had in mind! There's a lot of work to do, but I hope to eventually re-capture the feel of D2.

I just hope my coding skills are good enough. As soon as I have a reasonably well-working single-player demo with a level or two, I'll put up a WIP thread and get some feedback for improvements. I just hope my coding skills are good enough

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 05:44:54
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 05:44:54