Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2008 01:46
Is it possible to use Dark AI entities to track in all 3 dimensions?

I noticed that for AI entities you can only set waypoints in the X and Z dimension.

I was thinking about using Dark AI for control of space craft but seemingly it only works on two axis. Is this correct?

Wannabe Game Designer. Wannabe Programmer. Expert Dreamer.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2008 14:48 Edited at: 30th Dec 2008 14:51
Quote: "Containers can be used to represent different floors each with their own set of obstacles and entities, such that an entity can occupy the same X and Z positions as an entity from another container but they will not interfere with each other. Entities can be moved between containers manually by detecting when an entity has moved into another container and setting it to the new container."

Perhaps you can divide the 3D space into separate `partitions` (floors) along the Y axis. I believe Dark A.I. can be used but it will require some creativity.

This is of interest to me. We could brainstorm on how to use it or NOT. Can you provide more details on player | object movement in 3D Space?

MatriX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 02:26 Edited at: 31st Dec 2008 02:28
The original thought was that a ship on autopilot could easily track an object and avoid objects that are in the way..

Honestly I was thinking of using the Dark AI as a means of object avoidance / pathfinding. For example, if I set a rout for a ship I was going to let Dark AI create a path to follow so that the ship doesn't fly through objects like planets or space stations etc.

If I kept objects in partitions like you're saying then I would still have to worry about avoiding collion in the y axis which if I'm going to do that then I might as well avoid on all axii..

It's too bad that it didn't support all 3 axis as an option but I could see how it would cause confusion on a non-space based game.

Wannabe Game Designer. Wannabe Programmer. Expert Dreamer.
Long Island Amateur Game Development Group
http://www.meetup.com/The-Long-Island-Game-Development-Meetup-Group/
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 05:45
When I wrote my own A* routine a few years back, the performance in pathfinding on XYZ was expotentially slower than pathfinding on XZ.

I believe you can achieve the avoidance on the Y-Axis with DarkAI, but, it will require a lil trickery. Perhaps something like using 2 - 3 Waypoints for XYZ.

AI Add Waypoint Container Number, Position X#, Position Z#
AI Add Waypoint Container Number, Position X#, Position Y#
AI Add Waypoint Container Number, Position Z#, Position Y#

You may also be able to get away with a simple `Homing Missile` Algo for general 3D point-to-point navigation switching to 2D collision avoidance needed.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2009 12:41 Edited at: 14th Jan 2009 12:43
Its a good question. Anyone else using DarkAI in Space? Ideas are welcomed.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 13:57:24
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 13:57:24