Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Create low-poly terrain for huge terrains

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,
I'm creating a free roaming game using a BIG terrain (about 10 square km).
Now I made the terrain and I'm working to dynamically load it as "sectors". Since I don't want physics engine work directly on the terrain object (it is complex, and player can find undesirable bad/funny character reactions) I wanted to create a low-poly version of the same terrain (invisible, but it will overlap the real terrain). In this way I will use this invisible terrain to check collisions, physics events, etc..

Now the problem is I have a heightmap, and I don't know how to reduce complexity (and polygons!) starting from it.
Can you give me some suggestions?
Any good programs to do that?
I could even convert heightmap terrain in a dbo (or other 3d) file, but how? (in that way there are some programs that perform poygon reduction).

But in this last case I don't know how to use this polygon terrain in Dark Physics.

Please help me!

Thank you!

--Alessandro
revenant chaos
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2009 08:12
To reduce the number of polygons, you could try reducing the size of the height map used. Using AT, this would also mean adjusting the scaling factor on the X and Z axis.
ale870
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

thank you for your suggestion, but I already tried it, and the problem was sometimes the terrain (textured) does not match exactly with physics terrain, so the player avatar (I'm working with a trivial sphere, just for testing) seems "drown" in the terrain (because physics terrain is lower - as height - than the real terrain).

So I decided to try to extend so much a normal terrain (scale x,z), then load another terrain (smaller) - physics terrain, covering only a part of the real terrain. Physics terrain will be loaded/unloaded when the player round around the scenario.

Thank you.

--Alessandro

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-23 10:54:42
Your offset time is: 2024-05-23 10:54:42