Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Bug Reports / [DBPro 1.071] Turn/Pitch/Roll Object with Rotate Object

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2009 17:34
When using the the Turn/Pitch/Roll Object commands with the Rotate Object Command, the last Turn/Pitch/Roll Object command is ignored.

[b]

Open MMORPG: It's your game!
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2009 17:47
The helpfiles state you cannot mix these commands

Quote: "Be aware that you cannot use EULER ANGLES in combination with
this command. Euler angles are accessed with the ROTATE OBJECT command, whereas Freeflight commands are accessed with the TURN, PITCH and
ROLL commands."
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2009 18:34 Edited at: 18th Jan 2009 18:35
Ya, DBP uses Euler angles which can be a huge pain. Get EZRotate, it's really cheap and it'll fix any problems you have with rotation.

RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2009 19:08 Edited at: 18th Jan 2009 19:10
Quote: "The helpfiles state you cannot mix these commands"

I am pretty sure this is not mixing them in the way the help files mean. Freeflight angles and Euler angles don't mix well; you cannot expect YRotate Object and Turn Object Right to produce the same results and/or return the same angles. But this bug prevents the following Freeflight command from being performed at all.

This is an example I whipped up to demo the bug. It is intended to establish a base rotation using Rotate Object and the using the Freeflight Rotation to manage further rotation.

Example:
Rotate Object ObjID,0,0,0
Do
Turn Object Right ObjID,1
Sync
Loop

This example is a legitimate and simple snippet. It will even seem to work, and therefore was not applicable for posting in the bug forums here since it did not appropriately and clearly showcase the bug. Instead, I needed to demonstrate that the last call of any Euler rotation commands did not work when used after a Rotate Object command.

Quote: "Get EZRotate, it's really cheap and it'll fix any problems you have with rotation."

Thanks. But that in no way helps to fix this bug.

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2009 19:18 Edited at: 18th Jan 2009 19:27
Quote: "Thanks. But that in no way helps to fix this bug."

It doesn't fix the functionality in DBP, however it offers an alternative to to DBPs freeflight functions: local rotations. These can be used in conjunction with global/world rotations flawlessly.

Quote: "I am pretty sure this is not mixing them in the way the help files mean. Freeflight angles and Euler angles don't mix well; you cannot expect YRotate Object and Turn Object Right to produce the same results and/or return the same angles."

No, the help files mean that you can not use them together at all. The freeflight commands manipulate the angles of an object in a different way than the rotation commands, therefore they cannot work in conjunction and should never be used together on the same object/camera.

RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2009 19:52
Quote: "It doesn't fix the functionality in DBP, however it offers an alternative to to DBPs freeflight functions: local rotations. These can be used in conjunction with global/world rotations flawlessly."

So does DBPro's 3D Maths, which I will likely be using until this gets fixed.

Quote: "No, the help files mean that you can not use them together at all."

Nowhere in the help files does it say that Rotate Object and Freeflight commands cannot be used together. It says that Euler Angles can only be used with Rotate Object and that Eular angles cannot be used in combination with Freeflight commands:

Quote: "you cannot use EULER ANGLES in combination with this command. Euler angles are accessed with the ROTATE OBJECT command"

This means that returning an angle from an object only works with Rotate Object, and not with Freeflight commands. This is because the angles are transformed using 3D maths and will flip an object over and around per the translation that occurs when using 3D Maths. Additionally, the Object Angle command still works, it just returns an untranslated result. The Eular Angles returned from freeflight rotation range from approximately -90 to 90. Once an angle exceeds this range, the object is flipped.

The only reason I am calling the Euler Angles is for demo purposes. Take them out, and be assured that the results will be the same.

James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2009 21:36
I see it now, you can get by for now perhaps by calling the last pitch/roll/turn command twice, that seems to work, if it suits your purpose. Would save on having to use 3d maths at least
RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2009 17:44
The current fix is to call a second free-flight command with a 0 angle.

Example:
Turn Object Right ObjID,0

This way, when the bug gets fixed, the extra command is not really a factor if it doesn't get removed.

Any word on Confirming or Rejecting this bug?

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2009 12:34
As pointed out by James H, you are actually mixing Euler rotation commands and free-flight commands on a single object - that's a no-no, as the help file states.

I will confirm this for now, but simply so that Lee gets a chance to make the final decision on whether this is a bug or not - IMO, it isn't, but I don't feel comfortable in simply rejecting it.

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2010 13:56
Fixed in 7.5.

It is now safe to switch between eular and free-flight commands.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 16:42:31
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 16:42:31