Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / New functions for DarkAI ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2009 19:54 Edited at: 29th Jan 2009 10:00
hi, can darkAI offer 2D, top-down collisions soon, for example I think it's useful to get sliding collisions with each obstacle within a container (sliding collisions for the player). along with that, it would be useful to cast a "line of sight" for any entity and get the x,y coordinates of the impact point. Also, users would like that an entity can't fire at target if there is another between, according to the entity avoid distance or a new 'set' function like "set entity size" (this should be circular shape, handling collisions), note that this feature should be optional because users can use other techniques to decide if an entity can fire or not through others.
the collisions should be 2D, (and faster than 3D I think, hopefully), plus taking advantage of multi-threading, and would be optional so that users can choose other solutions (classic 3D collisions for example)

edit:
-plus; many users would like a function to suspend/resume DarkAI in order to achieve special things & effects like bullet time, time stop (freeze every movement)

pascontent.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2009 21:14 Edited at: 28th Jan 2009 21:15
It doesn't need collisions, it already has obstacle avoidance. An AI entity will never walk through an obstacle so sliding collision is pointless. Obstacles can be convex shapes or complex levels. Since you'll want to have 3D collisions in your game anyway adding that for the player isn't necessary.

Dark AI already allows you to have as much control as you want over the entities.

Come see the WIP!
Serge Adjo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2009 21:33 Edited at: 29th Jan 2009 10:00
@Cash Curtis II said
Quote: "An AI entity will never walk through an obstacle"

yeah, but I mean sliding collision for the player entity, plus, it would also be useful to achieve other things...

-Edit: on top of that, I'm sure 2D can be a faster solution than 3D collisions, for many reasons
edit: see the image attached, showing that entities fire through each others, users must use some other collision techniques to prevent this...
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_pic.php?i=1679744 -(screenshot from "Sound Demo.exe") - here below is the source of this darkAI demo:

please note that except for that, I'm ok with the plugin & still use it.

@Cash Curtis what do you think about that?:
Quote: "many users would like a function to suspend/resume DarkAI in order to achieve special things & effects like bullet time, time stop (freeze every movement)"
?

pascontent.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2009 22:16
I think you can slow time down using
Quote: "AI Update Time Step#"

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
Serge Adjo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2009 22:25 Edited at: 29th Jan 2009 10:04
Quote: "I think you can slow time down using
"AI Update Time Step#""
yeah, this is a trick to try and see if it can give the impression that entities freeze during a given time and then go back to normal.
edit:
Quote: "AI SET ENTITY SPEED"
&
Quote: "AI SET ENTITY TURN SPEED"
also to try (when set to 0.0) *I think that should do the trick*

pascontent.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 14:18:32
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 14:18:32