Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Kuuhaku Kyuushuu: Action Space Arcade Mini Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2009 02:10 Edited at: 6th Feb 2009 16:22
Here's the final version of what started out as a one day project, and ended up being a week adventure. Very basic gameplay, fly through space, kill bad guys, and take revenge on the final boss. Points are rewarded for all aspects of play. Here's a list of the point distributions and amount:
enemy's destroyed: +10
boss hit: +10
player's hit by boss: -20
player's hit: -5
shot percentage: *500
percentage enemy's destroyed: *500
percentage player's hit: <10(+1500) <20(+250) <40(+125)

Controls:
WASD - MOVE SHIP
SPACE - SHOOT

GAMEPAD:
LEFT JOYSTICK - MOVE SHIP
XButton(ps layout) - SHOOT

Screenshot A:

Screenshot B:

Screenshot C:

Download at the bottom. Pretty sure it's bug free, but you never know. This is the final version I'm doing; burnt to disc and archived.

Have fun!

(..don't let the old-school graphics scare you off )

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Not bad for a 1 level game.

Gameplay:
The game is actually quite repetitive until the boss comes around, but it still manages to be fun. You could have done a lot more with the first half! As for the boss, it's really challenging and takes up most of the playtime to beat.

Sound:
Standard sound effects for this kind of game. It would have been cool if you added a second track for when the boss showed up.

Graphics:
I actually really like the simple sprite style. Everything matches well. Only problem was the explosion. The effect looked pretty bad, and when the boss shot similar colored bullets, I couldn't tell the two apart.

Overall:
Good work! I recommend this game! We need more completed projects in the PA boards.

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2009 19:17
Nice work dude. Not sure i understand the scoring system. First part is a bit of a chore that you have to get through to get to the boss. A restart from just before the boss would be cool. Think i beat it. 5490 points.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2009 19:11 Edited at: 9th Feb 2009 19:27
Jimpo:
Thanks for the in depth review. I think I'm going to make a second one, with more to it then a single level and one boss. I agree the explosions are weak. What do you suggest? Maybe just have a single explosion then ship parts? Sadly the sound and music are from the darkbasic media folder. Ah, and what did you mean by the boss shooting similar colored bullets? I purposely made them all different colors..bleh, must be a fluke on my part.

My badly written code:

Mr.Tank:
Once the boss dies you restart the game. Nice score BTW, I think my highest was 4k. As for the scoring, it does look confusing, but if you looked at the code, you'd probably get it.

Alright, making Space Revenge 2

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I agree the explosions are weak. What do you suggest? Maybe just have a single explosion then ship parts?"

Yeah, you can do a single explosion with flying wreckage. Maybe shake the screen. You know, explosiony stuff.

Quote: "what did you mean by the boss shooting similar colored bullets?"

I meant that some of the boss bullets were colored similar to the explosion. It's hard to tell the difference between the yellow bullet and the orange explosion when both are flying at you from either side, and you only have a split second to dodge.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 02:10:33
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 02:10:33