Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Grand Theft Retro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 02:22 Edited at: 7th Feb 2009 02:27

So this is what I'm thinking of doing with the Faction Conflict engine...
It's a GTA style free roaming urban game. With a very limited colour pallette. flat textures . black outlines.

So far I've got the characters working (same as FC), except they've got a nifty outline effect on them. Chunkified the weapons to make them more cartoony. Blood and muzzle flashes are outlined.
I need to chunkify the shell casings too.

I've finished 3 of the cars ; the "loafer" (saloon), the "Rodeo" (pickup) and the "pimp" (cadillac). I already have working vehicle classes and code from an older project, so I'll be integrating this weekend!

Should be cool to drive around. I want to implement having your allies ride in the car and shoot out the windows.. yay.

I've done a quick video - but the youtube quality doesn't really do it justice - check it out here.

All very WIP right now ( alot of textures still to be downgraded!), just wanted to know what people thought of the style?

Please post some comments or crit. I really want to find a cool visual style, but if people think this is a crappy idea then I'd like to know before I waste my time!

I want robotic legs.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 02:23
screenshot (shown above)

I want robotic legs.

Attachments

Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 02:44
Woah! I really like this! Its awesome

DarkBASIC Professional....Mmmmm the possibilities.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 05:58 Edited at: 7th Feb 2009 05:59
looks great. i do like the style chosen here. very "retro" vibe but with some more-current effects like shooting over the (short) walls and around corners, and the animation is cleaner than games used to be while maintaining the older, retro feel. there's a noticable display of thought and quality appplied to what would be considered "way out of date" techniques going on. so, obviously, i'm all for it.

with that, and i don't know if this is already decided upon or not but, i would appreciate some (very) simple cartoon-style faces on the actors. it would provide some "character" to the characters.

nice work, as always

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA
AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 06:43
Ooh! I like the style! Definitely will check out the video tomorrow...too tired right now, and I need sleep.

Good luck on your project!

Wait....what?
Siddy
Years of Service
User Offline
Thats really good, makes me think of Grand Theft Lego

Well done with the cover system. That vid would look 10x better if there was a sky btw.

Is it made in FPS creator or DBPro?
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 10:23
looks brilliant Butters!
I really like the style, reminds me of a project it tried to do at xmas with snowmen. All the grahpics were cel shaded and entirely Black or White
But anyway, as Siddy said, a sky would make it look so much better.

NaGaCreMo:
Defy
FPSC BOTB Developer
VBOTB Developer '09
Years of Service
User Offline
Latest vid, music addition and action was a good watch. I checked a few of your clips and this has a great style to it.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 13:36
Wow, thanks for the response guys!...
Quote: "
i don't know if this is already decided upon or not but, i would appreciate some (very) simple cartoon-style faces on the actors. it would provide some "character" to the characters."

Totally agree, I'm using the texture object limb command to generate random outfits on the characters from a preset list of textures, which should give me simple way of creating many different pedestrians once I get to them, I'm going to do a variety of expressions too (angry , drunk , stoned, scared etc) that can be applied to the face depending on the situation. Cool idea, and definately on I'll take on board.

Yodaman, cheers!

Siddy&Blobs, it's made in DBpro. I have no idea how FPSC could possibly handle this!! Sky, of course! Duh! I totally forgot about it I was so busy making things! I'll add sky and clouds in a similar style to the clouds in airheads (see Prog announcements)

Deca, cheers dude. I think I've found my visual style now. The other videos are still relevant because they show the various AI features, but the graphics in the latest one are closer to the final look.

anyway, gotta go... I'm off to make some cars...

I want robotic legs.
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 14:18
Well I must say Butter fingers, you've beaten me in the quest to make cartoony games.

I never could get cell shading working properly, so most of mine just ended up as brightly textured games, but this, this is pretty good. Especially as I'm actually playing through GTA:San Andreas, right now, the gameplay is very indicative of GTA. I can't wait to see more.

Also you should note, I check every WIP on the forums, but don't post until something sticks out to me, and this WIP really caught my eye. Good work.
Dragon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2009 15:00
Man reading that title reminded me off one of the games i wanted to make ages ago. A GTA remake but with my old town, eventually expanding to include villages and towns around my area. Thus creating something people from around my area could even find their own homes in it heh would have been great to make but probably too big a job for me ^-^ so I'll wait til i get a bigger team.

Nice game though love these retro remakes ^-^.

prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
it looks like the simpsons game with guns
chidem
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks really, really cool! I love the stylised look of this!!
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2009 03:04 Edited at: 8th Feb 2009 03:07
So, I haven't quite got cars yet. I got them working in the editor, so you can load/place/set them up, but I haven't setup anything to actually use them in the game. It's going to be a fair amount of work, making enemies recognise cars as targets, doing vehicle deaths, etc.

Anyway, I got fedup of looking at editor code, and went about balancing the current weapons, and placing with the effects. Like blood. I've made it splatter more, and made it bolder. Also optimised and made the actual shooting code more reliable. Before there was about a 30% chance a shot would just go right through a target... oops.

Oh, and down to popular request, the sky is now blue (clouds still to come..)

Heres some more screens of death and mayhem

Faces are still to come...

I want robotic legs.

Attachments

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 8th Feb 2009 05:01
I'm not one for blood, but it looks really good! Keep it up man!

Wait....what?
hookkshot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2009 10:17
the blood looks really cool. im impressed wish i could do something as good as this

Silent Shade Download the latest Beta
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2009 12:54
Well, thats different.

Impressive. Loved the animations - very well done/

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2009 13:19 Edited at: 9th Feb 2009 13:20
Yay! Cars in editor. Types set up. Ready to start coding in the game!
Also made some nifty road segments:

I want robotic legs.

Attachments

Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2009 13:41
Looks great! Good work

FireBASIC - The Heart of Great Programming - http://firebasic.ablazegaming.co.uk
Diru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2009 19:58
This looks great. May I ask how you did the cell-shading because my project (JSRA) will need good cell-shading at some point?

Dir en grey + Slipknot = Best bands ever
wkitching
Years of Service
User Offline
This game looks promising. I'm rather handy at producing music through FLstudio. If you require any in game music don't hesitate to ask. If able i'll assist in producing a few tracks

Keep up the great work
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2009 20:23
i love it! lol

your AI is great from the video!

the people are awesome lol.

Do you have a possible timeframe for a demo?
darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2009 21:55
Is Faction Conflict over? Either way this looks nice.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2009 22:09
Thanks for the comments always nice to return to a bunch of new opinions!

Quote: "This looks great. May I ask how you did the cell-shading because my project (JSRA) will need good cell-shading at some point?"

It's a combination of Ruccus' edit of the evolved cartoon shader, some objects with inverted vertex normals and some objects with outlines textured straight on.

Quote: "I'm rather handy at producing music through FLstudio. If able i'll assist in producing a few tracks"

Interesting offer! I DJ and make tracks on FL too. I'm intending to do radio stations, and have a presenter on each show (should be fun). What sort of music do you make?

Quote: "your AI is great from the video!
Demo demo Demo"

I could demo a straight shooting mission now, but having just done cars I'd say a demo is about a month off... I don't know, because the game structure isn't there right now, just the separate elements. I might do a very early alpha for just shooting and just driving. I've decided that final release will come with the editor, so you can build your own cities too!

Quote: "Is Faction Conflict over? Either way this looks nice."

LOL well I said everything in FC was subject to change... that included the entire graphical style! I decided that I wanted to do something that looked a bit different. It's still all the same 7000 lines of FC code, except more so!

I want robotic legs.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2009 22:13 Edited at: 10th Feb 2009 22:19
EXCITING NEW UPDATE!

I now have cars in the game... as yet there are no AI vehicles but that is next on the list (with Pedestrians). But still, you can hop in and out of stuff and cruise about. Also made a neat little load thing where you can see the city generating and then it zooms to the player, thinking it'll look cooler when the city is bigger.

THe buildings in this vid are only PLACEMARKER! It's really just a little map for be to balance the handling.

Check it out now...or else

Please post comments/crit here and not on the youtube page!

I want robotic legs.

Attachments

puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
That's awesome!
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2009 23:33 Edited at: 11th Feb 2009 00:07
Heh, well if you liked that...

Ok, so I got the ability to do drivebys in...! It's very very cool. I took ages to make this post because I was cruising around shooting people. Unlike GTA you can shoot left , right and forward it always annoyed me that you couldn't do that..

the attached vid doesn't have drivebys (I'm not making ANOTHER video), but it does have cars and combat in 1 level...

In response to cowbox (below)!
The camera FOV is set to stretch everything, so cars near the camera tend to look a bit long! I need to adjust it because it's cool on foot, but in cars the FOV should adjust to a more regular one. And yes, the wheels on the cars don't even rotate yet!! Theres alot of work to do, I'm just super happy to have them in there!

I want robotic legs.

Attachments

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2009 23:49
@ Butter fingers
Hah, this is pretty darn good. Although... don't the cars seem a bit, long? xD

And I assume you'll sort out their slidy movement eventually to make em look like they're actually turning a corner rather than strafing round it?

Still, pretty good man.
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2009 05:47
About the demos (you have talked about abunch of stuff since then lol)

ok sweet i was just wondering about a timeframe.

the ability to shoot forward is really cool though goodjob

i just realized(cuz i live in the US) the steering wheel is on the opposite side as it is here hahaha it threw me off for a sec hahha
NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2009 20:02 Edited at: 11th Feb 2009 20:08
I would love to contribute. I can easily produce simple car and weapons models in 3DS format using no textures for free if you wish. I can also try and make HUD elements in the cartoony style.

What good is knowledge without a degree of understanding?
Vickie
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice work Butter fingers, the block style of your models almost gives it a lego effect. Cool~

Always~
Vickie

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2009 00:35
@ Nex TFFF

Thanks man. I would point out that the models are textured, it's just that the textures are flat. I have over 20 different weapons now, and the cars are something that I'm enjoying modelling. If you are interested in contributing maybe send me an email and we can chat there. I'm entering this into indiecade, so I'm not sure if I should work in a team yet, as I'd like it to be a solo effort, but frankly I could probably do with the help!

@ Vicki

Thankyou. I know it's really basic but I wanted to challenge myself to do something more minimal than usual. A kind of 2 fingers to the photorealistic triple As you see everywhere at the moment. I'm thinking it might be closer to Playmobil than Lego, but who knows?!

I want robotic legs.
SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2009 15:48
Wow, really nice work. One thing, the trees don't seem as flat as everything else. That editor looks sweet, I be you could make some money selling it for people trying to phase out of fpsc.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2009 16:47 Edited at: 12th Feb 2009 16:49
Quote: "the trees don't seem as flat as everything else"

I agree with Sam. The top parts look good in my opinion (although may need to be slightly brighter), but the bottom parts look to detailed/realistic from afar.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2009 17:16
Yeah, I think you guys are right. I've had other crit from the yoda that I live with on the trees. It's really hard to pull back though and make things totally basic. I think I'll do the trunk with a edge shader, and leave the branches/leaves as a texture, but make them more like fluffy green sheep!

Thanks for the crit though, it's this kind of feedback that helps me get the style right! Although of course I appreciate the compliments too! I'll try and do a video of some of the new driving things later. Im working on some more buildings now!

I want robotic legs.
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2009 17:34
Looking good!

ya i hate it when people don't like it when you give crit on there stuff when then show u stuff lol. (not like oh that sux but stuff like the trees) lol
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 18:13 Edited at: 16th Feb 2009 18:14
Ok, so here's a little update. I've been working on the buildings for the levels. Most of them are simple cubes, but really they don't ned to be anything more. Theres no street furnature to speak of yet, only some buildings... oh and due to the (well made) crit, I've changed the trees to be more cartoony! whadda you thinK?

I want robotic legs.

Attachments

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
This is looking great. You're working so fast too. Nice work.

MISoft Studios - Silver-Dawn Gorilda is lost!

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 21:59
!!!!!!!!

Man that looks absolutely brilliant, haha, it reminds me of Marvin the Magician
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 00:46
Quote: "This is looking great. You're working so fast too. Nice work."

I.never.sleep.

Lol, no seriously, thank you. It feels slow from where I'm sitting. The sides of my screen are covered in post-its of things I still need to do/fix. It's endless!

Quote: " Man that looks absolutely brilliant, haha, it reminds me of Marvin the Magician"

Thanks, I think! Cheers for the support.

I want robotic legs.
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 03:34
Trees look great.

so do the buildings

Hahaha thats what i need! sticky notes! hahahaha
Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
i really like how this is looking

if you would want i could do some cars for you?

wouldn't really want anything for it just to be put in the credits.
sindore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2009 17:23
I love the retro look of this game and the cell shading looks grate, are you going to make the land scape a bit bigger then in the videos?

cos I think this could make a grate mmo game.

have you ever played crackdown? if not I think you should be cos it would give some more ideas to add to this grate looking game, its a cell shaded game a bit like your game with GTA at its heart, and the player has more freedom to move around & on top of building and this made for more fun when played online.

hope to see more of what you have to show soon.

soul sucking devils, twisted body of the damed, slivering slim drips from every poor, sin licking at your ears, and the smell stinging your eyes, and if you don't like it, get out of my kitchen!
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2009 15:02 Edited at: 21st Apr 2009 15:03
Hello people! This project isn't dead! It's very much alive, but again slightly different in presentation!

I've decided that trying to re-make GTA is a bit of a cheap idea, especially as there are so many other avenues of potential gameplay to create, so.... it's taking a new direction.

What is it?
A sandbox "disaster" game, the player can control any of a number of human / alien / zombie / civilian / military units and play their part in the destruction / defense / survival of a city under attack.
Playing as "baddies" (ie aliens, zombies etc) the objective is to harm as many people as possible!
Playing as a civilian the objective is to stay alive as long as possible
and finally playing as the military involves defending the city from attack.

Right now I've got military units in there and some robot aliens from Mars.

There are some pretty cool limb rotation features that mean that units actually rotate their guns/turrets whatever towards what they are shooting.

Buildings, trees and the rest of the level furnature will all be destructible, and the potential environment size is huge (as you can see from the screens, I'm running at about 60FPS with 560 city blocks!

Anyway, tell me whatcha think!

I want robotic legs.

Attachments

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2009 15:58
Nice, I really like the style.

Bursar
Years of Service
User Offline
Excellent, so it might turn out a little like Earth Defense Force 2017 that came out on the 360. That also features a destructible city.

Nothing more fun than shooting rocket launchers at invading aliens, only to miss and take out a skyscraper!
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2009 17:22
Looks like it's coming along very nicely Butters!

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2009 19:02
very impressive, also i think that your game with the balloons was on the gadget show very impressive,

gamer for life
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2009 19:23
Quote: "Excellent, so it might turn out a little like Earth Defense Force 2017 that came out on the 360."

LOL, well I never played that, but yeah kinda. The story mode will only let you play as a civilian, and missions will have you doing things like rescuing your kids before the school is destroyed, or surviving as long as possible as zombies take over everyone. The sandbox modes where you play as military/baddies will be more arcade, playing for highscores with no story.

Quote: "Looks like it's coming along very nicely Butters"

Lol, cheers keith. I need to talk to you about potentially getting something up on BDG that can be tested..

Mazz 426,

Thanks man, and yes AirHeads was on the gadget show. I was super hyped, to actually get that kind of recognition was sick, although massive credit also has to go to Ollie Edgington who wrote the "reader" Application that works between DBP and the ThinkGear.dll

I'll post a video update of this later on, for now though does anyone have any ideas for other types of adversary? SO far the list is:

Aliens
Godzilla
Enemy Army
Zombies
Demons

any ideas?!

I want robotic legs.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2009 19:26
Quote: "Lol, cheers keith. I need to talk to you about potentially getting something up on BDG that can be tested."

Sure; just let me know, and I can set you up a section to your specifications.

Always been partial to the Big Guy (aka Godzilla).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 17:20:50
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 17:20:50