Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / Unreal/Doom inspired tune with a twist

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2009 21:59 Edited at: 17th Feb 2009 09:24
I haven't really posted anything for a while so why not throw up something I made today. Made it quickly because I used a template for a previous song, but it turned out unrecognisable and cozy so here it is.

By all means, criticise me.

This message was brought to you by Grandma industries.

Making yesterdays games, today!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 03:30
You're a total and utter failure. You should give up on life while you're still capable of ending it all.

On the bright side this tune is nice, it has a nice feel and a good spacey sound. The feel reminds me of something, but I'm not quite sure what...

Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 11:06
Thanks, I'll look into that.

The beat (in a small way) and main synth reminds me of unreal (shared dig song?), but the guitar reminds me of doom for some reason.

Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 09:28
Double postLOL!

LOL! I updated the song a bit XDXDXDXDXD

Assume all my songs are royalty free, unless said otherwise XDXDLOL!XDXD

da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 12:52
Grandma, I think we have to have a little talk... Are you on something???

I liked this piece of yours, and I didn't find anything wrong with it at all, so great work I don't think it bears any resemblance to Doom or Unreal though, but that might be just me lol

Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 14:57 Edited at: 17th Feb 2009 14:59
Yes

It might just remind me of those games because it doesn't remind me of anything else, Doom/Unreal is the closest thing I can think of.

It's a shame to compare to Unreal however, because Unreal has some really awesome music, which is an understatement. But I wasn't doing as much comparing as mentioning whence the inspiration come from.

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 22:51 Edited at: 17th Feb 2009 22:51
Wow... just wow...
You, sir, is a disgrace to that noble avatar you must have stolen!

Heh, no, but seriously though; I agree with Benjamin on the "spacey" sound; really nice reverbs and a peaceful soundscape. While not directly melodical (is it only me who find it sort of trance-inductive by thw way? ) I must say that it is not directly lacking a melody either. In fact, it doesn't need any; this is just the sort of thing to listen to when smoking those odd weeds I found behind my neighbor's shed.

I was going to say that the guitar arpeggio sounds a tad repetive and suggest maybe trying to get a few more samples, or just differ the volume of the tones a bit, but on my second listen-through it actually doesn't sound very repetive in that way after all.
The sole thing, if it is to be meditated to or something, maybe the scream pad / whatever to call it, should be downfiltered a bit on the cutoff frequency. It is quite sharp at times.

But yeah, great song. And in one day!

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 23:52
Quote: "The sole thing, if it is to be meditated to or something, maybe the scream pad / whatever to call it, should be downfiltered a bit on the cutoff frequency. It is quite sharp at times."

I don't compose with good headphones (or headphones at all), so it's not easy to notice such things. I'll tweak it.

Yes, the guitar is repetitive, which is why I didn't want to make this song longer than 2 minutes. I also wanted it repetitive in a way because the guitar was not supposed to grab all the attention by having much variation. But I'll see if there's anyway I can improve it without stealing all the attention.

Many thanks for the in-depth comment.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 20:51:51
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 20:51:51