Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Level editing.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2002 16:59
Hi,

I am a newbie in DarkBasicPro. I have some background in using Director 3D by Macromedia. I bought DBpro because I thought it is somewhat simillar to Director 3D.

1. I was wondering does a level in DBpro need to be in BSP format? Can I use .X, .3DS, .MD1, .MD2 format for creating a level?

2. How do I perform collision detection in DBpro. I need to detect collision of player against wall, floors, objects, enemies, etc. in a 3rd person shooter. There are some collision detection routines under the Basic 3D section, e.g. OBJECT COLLISION, etc. Can I use that for this purpose?

3. I had seen some samples came with DBpro demostrating world collision detection, e.g. using BSP COLLISION HIT, etc. Are those collision detection routine only workable for those level import as .BSP format?

4. Does anyone know how can I export .BSP file from MAX?

I know this is a lot of questions. Thanks in advance!
Thomas.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2002 17:21
firstly... noticed this post over several forums, please - one forum ONLY
no doubt others will be deleted -

now as your new... i'd please like you to sit down for a week, and look over the manual (and old DB online tutorials) and try to learn DB before asking questions of this nature.

however i'll answer them anyways
- no don't need to use BSP, however everything for it is already made for you making it childsplay to impliment!
- object collision and such are viable alternatives to detecting collision however, it still takes more than simply detecting that objects have hit each other to perform collision, the demos and experience will teach you this!
- BSP COLLISION HIT is bsp only, otherwise i'd be called something else COLLISION HIT
- Can't export BSP from Max, as no current exporter exist
however you can export Map and Compile Quake3 BSP from Gmax (the plugins are incompatible with every other max!)

and thats your lot

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Bulleyes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2002 07:24
Thanks for your reply. Sorry for reposting.

I had look through the DBpro manual, I can said it is not much useful except just a reprint of the online help. I even look through some of the examples came with DBpro. Most of their maps are done in BSP format. The only place where .X format is being used are the objects in the game.

I was wondering, if I built the whole level in .X format, wouldn't it be very tedious and inefficient if I have to use to the Basic 3D collision detection to check collision of the player against the wall?

Anyway, you mention about the "old DB tutorials". Can you tell me where can I find those?

thanks a lot!

Bad Nose Entertainment - Where games are forged from the flames of talent and passion.

http://www.badnose.com/
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2002 08:30
[url]www.darkbasic.co.uk[/url] <-
darkbasic standard version, no builtin BSP support for that so alot of the tutorials and such were based upon DirectX... download the help file for the latest patch (2.5mb i think) has a much better description on everything than the Pro manual

Now the point in most using BSP rather than thier own level formats generally is because, you have lightmaps builtin, collision builtin, textures builtin and visibility culling builtin
As all of that is premade leaving you just to design and skin your world really isn't much call for your own format, especially if your new to darkbasic standard/enhanced/pro!

if you look through the examples of the old manual you'll see an example of basic Sliding/Angluar Collision, that is similar collision to what most games use and is relatively quick

but then again you can always make your own ... which is the point in a programming language, not to copy but create your own stuff

Bulleyes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2002 10:21
Thanks for your valuable info. I really appreciate that.

Another naive question...

Ok, let's say I decided to create my level in MAX and export it as .X or .3DS file. The level basically contains walls, floors, crates, and some other objects inside. How do I refer individual object in the level in DPpro by the name I gave in MAX. I need to refer each object like walls and crates in order to perform collision detection.

As I came from Director 3D, that can be easily done by exporting the whole level into Director 3D format. The names of each model in the scene still remains intact and they can be referred easily in Director 3D by their respective names.

Thanks again!

Bad Nose Entertainment - Where games are forged from the flames of talent and passion.

http://www.badnose.com/
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2002 21:33
well unless they've taken the function out...
you can do a

you can make the array for them bigger, but you can think access limbs by number like:

setup a file specifically for getting the name of the limb like that before hand
that way you can kinda use the name of the limb like

rotate object limb [object],v[name], x,y,z

probably not as straight forward, however i'm sure if you ask - perhaps in a few weeks once Lee's had his rest he'll look into making adding name access to limb access, if it isn't already ... i don't use pro much and the demo manual is a little vague

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 10:45:17
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 10:45:17