Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / DarkNOOBS Project 3: Adventure Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Obviously, we don't have a name, so that is another thing to think of

All discussion about the project will be posted here during development. Lets shoot for a release in about a month or so, right around the end of March. We will be able to set a more definitive date once we get under way.

Things still needed for the engine:

Media-Ashingda, you expressed some interest in handling this. Go ahead and get yourself a noob as well to help out.

Motion- Tile/pixel based we need to decide.

Collision detection-Tile/pixel based we need to decide.

Combat- Ranged and Melee

Equipment- Damage Handling and upgrades/switching out equipment.

Thats everything I can think of for now, let me know if you think of anything else.

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2009 03:40 Edited at: 24th Feb 2009 03:42
To make it simple lets base this off of the classic Zelda as much as possible everything except story and charactors.

I'll begin working on the char right now! I'm making something like a Knight I'll post it and get feed backs.

As for story, it can be as simple as:

Hero Knight gets sent to the evil tower to defeat the evil lord. The villagers locked the entrance and you are forced to progress or die!

There will be no NPC except for monsters and bosses meaning, no villagers, no towns!

Motion: Pixel based.
Collision: Pixel based.
Combat: Collision with Sword or weapons.
Equipment: I can handle multi equipments animations, Pick what you like I can add it.

TileSize: I will first try working with 32x32 image tiles.

Map: Lets have a large map of about 100x100 for one area. If you walk off that map It will zone to the other maps.

I you need help with Pixel collision I can help give you tips as I've done some.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2009 03:44 Edited at: 24th Feb 2009 03:46
Quote: "There will be no NPC except for monsters and bosses meaning, no villagers, no towns! "

I am fine with that for now, but lets make sure to program it such that we can add it in later if time/motivation permits

Try to keep animations to a frame animations (still, left foot, right foot, not necessarily in that order). I came up with an easy math way to calculate a 3 frame animation using sine, so we can use that.

Stefan and Quirky:
Before I delegate jobs, any requests as to what you want to work with?

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2009 03:48 Edited at: 24th Feb 2009 04:13
Yes that would be a plus.

I only came up with that because I realize that dialog management is not an easy task and we have yet to cover the basics of the game layout.

Request:
I need a coder to create a character movement tester. Arrow keys will move and animate the character frames from this tile set.

Although the terrain tiles will be 32x32 the character tile will be in 64x64 so we can animate the sword slash easier.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2009 04:58 Edited at: 24th Feb 2009 05:26
I will plug that into something I have been working on already and get back to you asap!

[EDIT]

Viola! It works. Keep in mind that the code was originally designed for movement one 16x16 tile at a time, so it isn't a pixel perfect motion, but the animation is there. Use the keys to control it. This was some framework I started for an RPG for the Personal Projects that I haven't had time yet to finish, so there is a LOT of extra subroutines with nothing in them yet.

Anyway, here it is:

Oh, and a note: the file name needs to be h2.bmp and it is referenced in the code by: "Imagesh2.bmp" so you will need an images folder within your project folder.

Great Quote:
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
From now one, I know it is against the forum etiquette but lets double post if we have something new to add, as long as it isn't edit worthy (typos, additional info etc).

So, to know if it is worth it to double post here is a checklist:

1. It has been a while since the last post and you made it.
2. You have something important to say/add (new code, important question) etc.
3. It does NOT repeat things unless for reference (I.E. no posting the same stuff 2x, we only need it once).

This might get removed if we suddenly get a lot of people posting here rapidly, since it will be useless.

Great Quote:
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Great it works but yikes the charater is too small! I'll have to rework it.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
The character isn't SUPER small, perhaps make it a little bigger, but significantly bigger will mean that we will have smaller maps (not necessarily a plus)

Great Quote:
Stefan p
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2009 21:30
I think ill take equipment please and nice to see this project active.

All fears must be overcome before feeling true happieness.
By Stefan aka me
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Roger that. Here are the Equipment Slots:

Weapon
Shield
Tunic/Armor
*ACCESSORY* Starred because I want to know what you guys think about it. Not really a necessity, but it could add an interesting twist. Equip this pendant to become invisible or this one to be able to breath under water etc.

Work on a system that will both handle the equipment that is equipped and apply stat bonuses appropriately AND provide an EASY and good looking way to change the equipment (if you need graphics, ashingda is our media guy).

Great Quote:
Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2009 23:27
Hmm, so many choices. Just one question: How would one go about doing pixel-based collision? What exactly do you mean by that? ...since it appears the rest of the jobs include that.

~QJ
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 00:58 Edited at: 25th Feb 2009 01:20
Here is an update of the character, I'm using images saved from a 3d model I quickly made for this project. This is the running animation, I also have the standing and attacking animation but it's not yet recorded.

@Quirkyjim
To work a pixel based collision it's as simple as using the Point statement to check a pixel in the moving direction of the character. If the pixel is a "No Go" then prevent the character from advancing in that direction.

I'll write some examples on what I know about pixel collision just for us here.

@BN2
Request: Can you recreate or modify your codes to only work with the tested animations and have it fully functional as a zip so anyone can just view it please.

The Standing, Attacking and Dying animation will be in different tilesets each of it's own file. It should make it easier to test new animations and your codes can also become part of the game engine.

Attachments

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Request: Can you recreate or modify your codes to only work with the tested animations and have it fully functional as a zip so anyone can just view it please."

Sure, like I said, that was just me plugging it into what I already had. What exactly do you want and what is the key for the image you just posted? BTW that looks great!

Great Quote:
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 01:38 Edited at: 25th Feb 2009 01:58
Thanks

The format is 64x64 pixels with 12x4 frames. Keep in mind that even though the charater images are larger, the terrain tilesets will still be in 32x32 pixels. The charater format is just larger so it's easier to fit a whole sword slash in one image.

You'll have to make adjustments when placing the character onto the map later (when it's functional).

Only the running animation frames will be 12x4. The Standing and Attacking may be less.

The movement rate should be 1 pixel at a time. The Frame swaping rate will also have to be timed so it's not too fast/slow.

Poll: Should we have images for diagonal Frames as well? I can easily do it so I vote yes on this...

[edit]

Request:
We need a Map Editor, can someone code one that will work with 32x32 pixels and can hold up to 100x100 tiles. I you know anything about 3-dimensioned arrays that's a plus as well.

[edit]
@BN2
Use this image to test as the background in which the character will run over as these are 32x32 tiles.

Attachments

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 07:21 Edited at: 25th Feb 2009 08:50
Quote: "
We need a Map Editor, can someone code one that will work with 32x32 pixels and can hold up to 100x100 tiles. I you know anything about 3-dimensioned arrays that's a plus as well."

Already working on it. Depends on how we are going to do collision, but I am working on some base level stuff anyway.

As far as diagonal frames go, I would say we don't need it, it might make fighting problematic.

For 12x4 do you mean that there are 12 frames and 4 sets of frames or do you mean that there are 4 frames and there are 12 sets of frames?

Also (I know, lots of questions) for the animation, is it intended to be a wave or a wrap. Here is what I mean:

Wrap: Frames go: 123451234512345

Wave: Frames Go: 12345432123454321

The second is more difficult but I just finished working out the math for it (I love Excel) and I want to know if I wasted my time or not

[EDIT #5 or so]
Could you post a tileset (a complete set of all tiles available for a particular area). While it will limit us as to what can be in there, it will make the map maker a LOT easier to make and use.

Great Quote:
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 15:55 Edited at: 25th Feb 2009 16:13
1) Yes 12 Frames and 4 sets.
2) All animation I make will be in Wrap.
3) Ok, I will get a terrain tileset ready asap.

[edit]

This if the first terrain tileset, it's used for the ground or floor.

Attachments

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 16:50 Edited at: 25th Feb 2009 17:01
Here's an update on the animations. The zip includes the Standing, Running and Attacking animation. Only while attacking will the weapon (sword or any other equips) be shown.

All animations are in 12x4 framesets and in Wrap mode.

**[edit]**

We need to decided on what weapons will be included so I can make time to model it.

Will we have Ranged weapons such as Bow, Boomerang, MagicWand?
Will there be bombs?

These shouldn't be too hard media wise but could be more challenging code wise.

Poll:
Axe
Hammer
Bow
Boomerang
MagicWand
Hookshot
Spear
MasterSword - or something equivalent
Whip
Mace

Although some of these are not in zelda it may be fun to add in.

Attachments

Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 17:50
off topic:

so yall did actually finished the other games right? where can i get them if you did hahaha i looked through those posts and could find it lol

on topic:

i made a tile editor that can load tiles of any size and make a map but one question did you mean 100x100 tiles or you need 100 tiles? lol
cuz if you need 100x100 then mine won't work cuz i don't have sliders and I'm pretty sure 10000 times 32 is a little larger then the screen hahaha
that would be 320000 pixels wide hahaha my screen is 640 by 480 that wouldn't work

and are you using layers?
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
You can find the completed Project 2 here:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=143779&b=5

Yes it's 100x100 tiles and will be bigger than the screen. The terrain will slide as the character tavels during gameplay.

The best way to have objects such as pillars, pots, tables, etc on top of the floor terrain is to use layers. There should be at least 3 different layers to create this effect.

Floor - Layer 0
Walls - Layer 1
Objects - Layer 2
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 18:50
ok i have been working on the sliders and i have thought about layers and it shouldn't be to hard to implement if your interested i SHOULD be able to have layers and at least arrow buttons for scrolling around the map in a week to a week and a half
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
I am actually going to try designing it using layers only for design, so that you can put trees on grass without erasing grass. However, then all passability data will be saved externally as well as info for loading the map.

This was my idea:

3 files per map.

1 is the tileset, containing ALL at tiles for the map.

2 is a data file containing info for where each tile goes

3 is another data file giving info as to how to handle each tile (Tree tile can't be walked on and such)

This could then be loaded in relatively quickly and sort of applied on the spot.

Great Quote:
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 21:21 Edited at: 25th Feb 2009 21:29
Ok that's great BN2.

For collision check, you'll have to calculate according to the Player xy coordinates and load the appropiate tile into a memblock and check it's pixel.

@Caleb
BN2 has already started on a Map Editor, can you assist him and combind you efforts instead? You'll have to post and share the codes.

The codes should use alot of REMs and be as easy to follow as possible. While coding in a group you must keep your codes as clean as possible, this is something we all still need to work at.

[edit]
If you've taken a look at my ninja experiment project, it's a working example of collision check using memblock with tiles. I can repost it here.

Attachments

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
I think we should focus a little more on getting the rest of the engine working rather than dedicate 2/3 of our programmers to making a map editor. While it IS an important app, it seems that we wouldn't be devoting enough time to the actual meat and cheese of the project (the game).

@Stephan:
How is the equipment system coming along so far?

Great Quote:
Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 21:58
I could cooperate with the reading of the map files: I made something like it where I would correspond various values to a color in a maze. I'll start workin something up.

~QJ
Stefan p
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 22:05 Edited at: 25th Feb 2009 22:41
You forgot the "f" in my name STEFAN!_! lol. I figured an array to hold what the players wearing, another for every item in the game, and an array to have their special abilities like if im wearing a coat +2 armour or something.

Also In this project i want it to have a saving and loading system (no password saving because that too easy for us).

Ok and can someone tell me every single thing a weapon needs

1. Name
2. Damage
3. Reguired level
4. primary or secondary
5. image range its in (look at bottom)
6. Cost
7. Resell

So an image range is something for Ashingda to make so you know what images are used for the weapon when attacking, standing facing left or right and so on.

By Stefan aka me
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 22:54 Edited at: 25th Feb 2009 22:59
ARRRRR why do I keep writing Stephan????? Lol, sorry about that.

Here is what I am thinking:

1. Name
2. Damage multiplier
4. primary or secondary Perhaps Left/Right Hand
5. image range its in (look at bottom)
6. Cost

Since this is an adventure game, I cut out the level required, since the weapons can be controlled by other alternatives (if it is in a store, make it so that the player can't hold enough money to buy it until he goes through a cavern and gets a larger coin bag or something similar).

I also removed the resell value, since we can do what I have seen done in a lot of games and have the resell value simply be 1/2 of the cost or another fraction (also, should we add towns and such, we can have different towns with different buy back fractions)

Great Quote:
Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 23:03
Can I be like the map designer?

e.g. Where cites are, physical features, etc.?

~QJ
arbiter chewbacca hybrid
Years of Service
User Offline
Can I help
Quirkyjim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 23:40
I don't know, can you?

</bullcr*p>

Soorry, I couldn't refrain.

~QJ
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 00:12 Edited at: 26th Feb 2009 00:18
Quote: "I think we should focus a little more on getting the rest of the engine working rather than dedicate 2/3 of our programmers to making a map editor."

Well none the less, the map editor is a major part of the production. I believe we must get a good amount of this done befor we can move on to other things such as game stats and physics.

Or what we can do is have a select few more dedicated soley on the map editor. I volunteer myself to focus on this part as the picture media and the editor are closely linked.

Post the Map Editor and Animation Test as soon as you have it working please. Playtesting will help with upcomming updates/fix to media.

Guys we gotta start posting more codes so we can see our progress and better assign tasks.

@arbiter
Do you or anyone else have confidence in creating or finding appropriate media, if so you can help me out working on the media.

Media includes SoundFX, Music, CharacterImages, TerrainImages, etc. Sounds are not important at this stage so priority will be Images for now.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
I have said it before, but RPG Maker has a LOT of resources we can use. All of it is community made and free. Definitely a good resource for tilesets and some generic characters.

Here is a cool website designed to make resources for RPG Maker (and of course, we can use those files since they are just pictures).

http://charas-project.net/

They have some resources there, but the coolest part is the character set maker. There is also a face generator and battle character set generator, but we probably won't need those.

@Quirky
Sure, you can be the map designer once the Map editor is done. Until then work on some code, we can whip up a test map by hand if necessary.

@Arbiter
Sure you can help. For now, do you have a program that you can post so that I can see where you are?

Great Quote:
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
It's good to use stuff that are free and laying around and I've done so, but it's better to learn to generate your own media if you know how. And that's kinda my focus on this project.

@Arbiter
If you're not sure what to do, you can always just create a simple game that best demonstrate what you're capable of coding.
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 05:17 Edited at: 26th Feb 2009 05:31
ok. right now my map editor does not have layers. and it doesn't have sliders or scrolling for the map so it can only be 14 bye 16 or somewhere around there but here is a sample of what my export code would look like

Map info:
Mapwidth (tiles not pixels)
Mapheight
Tile Path$
Numtiles
tilewidth
tileheight
Tile 1:
X
Y
image number
Collision

Repeated for all the tiles here is the code(attached)

it uses tdks gui functions and i know the menu is being drawn every loop i'm switching to everything to sprites now but thats a big job (whoops need to think next time i start something hahaha) i tried to rem abunch hahaha i know its not perfect but thats what i have.

there is a example map in the maps folder and some tiles(20x20 and 32x32) i made them(obviusly i'm not a artist :/ hahaha but they do there job. placeholders hahah)

!!**Edit**!!

Will That do for my sample program since I've never helped with a darknoobs program? lol

Attachments

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
That's pretty cool Caleb. Can you re-create a file scanner function for this project to allow us to view files and folder for Opening and Saving? The return string should contain the filename and pathname such as "c:/folder/folder/filename.ext".
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 05:57 Edited at: 26th Feb 2009 06:04
um I'm not sure what you mean do you mean a file explorer or just a scanner that gets the names and directories of the files/folders in the current directory?

and do you mean for the game? I'm not sure how you are planning to implement these in the game? lol i can't think of anything atleast

**edit**

wait you said view so you want a file viewer/selector?

**edit2**

So just wondering do you want me to help with the map editor or something else(not sure if this file viewer is for that lol

if so then bn2 what do you have done so far?
and if the file stuff is for the map editor what kind of style are you looking for? classic windows style, more a xp style, or some other random one lol.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually, I am working on an explorer dialog box . Guess I started somewhere other than where you started.

For yours caleb, rather than sliders (which would be nice), you could also add a zoom out feature to see more tiles.

Great Quote:
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 06:41 Edited at: 26th Feb 2009 06:43
lol ok thats ok i'll keep trying to work on the editor.

for the zoom how would you suggest going about that?

i don't know if you went over my code but how i'm doing it now is whenever i click on a tilespace it pastes that image there and then sets the array pasted_img(x,y,img)=1 then gets a image of the hole screen and every loop it pastes that image back to the screen (so the actual map info and the showing of the map are 2 separate things)

Would i create a sprite of it then scale sprite by the zoom factor then get that image. wait hmm this is annoying lol because my tile coordanates are already stored in a array so no matter what the screen looks like the tiles will still be the same size.

do you think i should do something like this?

if zoom=in
make sprite of screen
scale sprite by zoom factor
endif

but in there (not sure how to do it) i would make the coordinates smaller (lets say for a 20x20 tile) and scale the images to be that size

hmm i'm just shooting out ideas off the top of my head so this might sound really stupid hahaha

!!Edit!!

I was thinking of wiping the slate clean and starting over because of the way this is made and i'm working with others lol. but when i use the same method of checking if the mouse is inside the tile then it runs really slow but in that (witch has much much more code) it runs fine gr

do you think i should start over or use what i have?
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
How are you checking for collision with the tiles?

Great Quote:
Stefan p
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 14:20

Heres my make a weapon code have fun goto go to, ill be on in 6 hours

By Stefan aka me
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 16:51 Edited at: 26th Feb 2009 17:01
Stefan can you implement a click feature instead of using the input statement?

If you have more gui it'll be great.

**edit**
@BN2
How's the updated Animation Tester comming?
I'll like to see how far your map editor is completed.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 18:29 Edited at: 26th Feb 2009 19:08
Quote: "I'll like to see how far your map editor is completed. "

I started from a different angle. I have a concept, but most of it requires an open feature to test, so I have been working on an open Dialogue box.

As for the animation tester, should be ready soon. I will put in an open button once I finish the open box so you can load new animations and then I will do some misc changes here and there and it will be done.

[EDIT]
Got the open dialogue box done. Since it uses some attached media, I have all of it zipped. Everything is in functions so just call Open_File() and it will do the rest. The only thing is, there are a couple of subroutines you will need to call first that couldn't be included in the functions since they declare arrays, so just copy those into your file and #include the source and it should be fine.

Great Quote:

Attachments

Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2009 06:35
Hey i was working on the map editor i was trying to get sliders in and right now i have the sliders and theres arrows to move then (no clicking and dragging yet) and you can paste a tile (havn't loaded any tiles yet havn't needed to.) it is set up for layers but havn't implemented yet.

havn't worked tons i have had school and stuff but heres my code

Question!!! lol

i was thinking about how this was going to save what do you think about this(using 3 files like bn2 said)

first txt file

TileX,TileY,img

repeated for all the tiles

txt file 2

tilex,tiley,layer

so then one would store the what image the tile had the other would store what tile it had (the third file is the tileset)
to me it would make for sense to make it like this

tilex,tiley,layer,img

for each tile/layer

wait i just had a idea! so you are gunna use 3 layers right? could you use 3 txt files? 1 for layer. another for layer 2 ext....

just wondering?

and do you want the people that are doing the map to do the function for loading it or do you have another job for that? wasn't sure what was part of the "Map maker" job.
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2009 06:40
ok well i'v been working on sliders i have them just without the mouse pulling part just arrow buttons and its setup for layers just not implemented yet (Very very easy to do) here's the code:

Just wondering About saving? bn2 you said you wanted 2 text files 1 for the image info another for layer info what about like this

TileX,TileY,Layer,Img

or have 3 files (1 for each layer) and do it like this then you could read in a layer at a time (makes the reading in easier but more files) what do yall think
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
This was My idea for the Map FOrmat:

File 1:
Tileset File Name
Tiles Columns (Width)
Tiles Rows (Height)
Tile1 (Top Left) Tile Number
Tile2 (To the right of the top left) Tile Number
ETC ETC

File 2:
Tile On Tileset #1 passability (1 means that wherever that tile occurs, it is walkable, 2 means you can walk under it, 0 means you can't walk on it)

Tile On Tileset #2 passability

ETC ETC

File 3:
Entity Data. This is slightly looser but would give info about where to spawn entities and what their AI subset is (we should use presets, such as random, walk toward character or walk away from player).

These can be as simple as saved arrays, which is nice, or we can create our own file structure.

Great Quote:
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2009 08:21 Edited at: 27th Feb 2009 08:25
hm i see where your going with this ok oh and sorry bout the double post i'm dum i didn't see my post so i thought tgc screwed up but i realized a sec ago that it was on a second page lol sorry

so is this map editor going to edit waypoints also? i thought it was just the map editor. that would make things interesting lol

what did you think about the start of the editor? i know its really simple but its what i'v got done (I've never worked with sliders had to get a handle on em)

Ok so we are going to need arrays like this?

Tiles(NumtilesX,NumtilesY,Layers) **would be set equal to image number**
Tilepos(Numtilesx,numtilesy) **For positioning in the editor**
DiffX **Can be global or just a dim of 0 if we are using my slider style**

and I can't think at 1:30 so thats what i got what do you think? just being sure i know how you want to do this. i don't want to start doing things and find out that it was wrong lol

are we using 3 layers? ground, collision, item? or maybe 4 if your implementing the ai system in this editor. hmmmm

any better ideas for slider or anything for that matter?

**important**

What do you mean in the first file by

Quote: "Tile1 (Top Left) Tile Number
Tile2 (To the right of the top left) Tile Number
ETC ETC"

do you mean the image numbers or what? I'm confuzzled lol

and in the second file are you saying setting the layer numbers for the actual tiles on the map or the images that make up the map?
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Tile numbers, meaning the tile within the tileset.

We would use 3 layers:

1. Ground

2. Static Objects (trees, wall ornaments, obstacles etc)

3. Entities. If you think about it, what is the difference between an item and an enemy? Nothing really, they just do different things. Therefore they can go on the same layer. Also, we can include map change entities and other things we run into.

As far as coding goes, after the map editor and animation thing, I will focus more on game things, rather than the engine itself. So I will design message systems, menu systems, etc.

Great Quote:
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2009 15:46
ok i see thanks for clearing up.

so are we going to be mkaing it to place just the enemies or the actual ai waypoints and enemies?
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2009 15:47 Edited at: 27th Feb 2009 15:53
I think there should be 4 layers.

1. Ground
2. Walls only
3. Objects or Water
4. Entities

Instead of saving into multiple files, save all of it into 1 file.

The save routine could follow this sequence:

While Loading up, do it the same way.

@Caleb
There are no waypoints in this game.

Question:
Does everybody know how to use memblock? It is good to be on the same page as this project's collision detection uses it. If you still need to learn this I can write up some basic examples.
Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2009 16:06 Edited at: 27th Feb 2009 16:12
Thats what i was thinking ashinga lol but just wondering what would that array equal? would it be the tilenumber or what?

i we would still need the map/tileset info in that file.

like mapwidth and map height and the path to the tileset and stuff like that
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2009 16:48 Edited at: 27th Feb 2009 16:49
I was thinking the tileset shouldn't be included into the save. All we need is 1 large tileset of the terrain that is used and reused to draw every map we create. That way the tile pointers would remain the same and we just have to load up the terrain tileset 1 time.

The saved map should just be all data, nothing else.

For collision detectin, we do not need a layer for that as the collision routine can just simply check what's on the Wall, Object or Entities layers.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 09:27:44
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 09:27:44