Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Need another way of making an object to work with physX?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2009 20:55
Hi All,

Been going nuts trying to find away of make a bucket like on a bobcat, now I made this bucket in AC3D which is a cube cut in half across the diagonal, only trouble is phy make rigid body mesh does not like it.

So does anyone know there way around there model package and could make something like it that might work in physx.

here's the code I am use to test it, the bucket starts in the V position with a sphere falling into it to be caught, well that what should happen.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
tatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2009 21:35
you need an actual bucket modeled? I could do that for ya.
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2009 21:46
If you could as every model I make seem go mad when I try to add physx to it, what I am after is a bucket grab like they have when dredging water ways, its so I can pick up few spheres.

cheers.

tatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2009 21:50 Edited at: 13th Mar 2009 21:51
here ya go. I did'nt know how big you need it

Attachments

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2009 21:57
Thank You tatts, working just how I thought it should, As a matter of interest what package did you use to do this in.

tatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2009 22:01
Truespace, the model side. Excellent program when you get the hang of it. I take it you used the code you supplied? I havent tried it.
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2009 22:11
if I could remember all the dam icons I might be able use it. Very good package though.

tatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2009 22:27
Lol I hear that alot. And I know what you mean. Most people don't seem to keen about the icon thing. I personally have tried alot of different software. out of all of them I found truespace to be the easiest. of coarse Once i got used to the icons.

If you would like to learn it. do what I did, Go to the 3d buzz site and look for the gamespace tutorial on how to build a little elf character. That has to be one of the best video tutorials i've seen yet. Taught me a thing or two.

the bucket code is pretty neat BTW gotta tilt it up so that it actually catches the ball and hold it without the bucket falling though. and I don't know what tuck.x is but it did'nt seem to bother anything when I ran the code.
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2009 22:28
tatts if you'er still there how do you reset the layout in ts6, as I have clicked to many buttons and now it all look wrong model.
I have four windows.

cheers.

tatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2009 22:51
the icon in the yellow box will reset all your icons.

Attachments

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2009 23:05
cheers again I think that did it.

tatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2009 23:13
glad I could help
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2009 14:50 Edited at: 14th Mar 2009 15:00
ok, its moving, but I think of away of connect something to buckets so that when KINEMATIC object 13 moves up or down, bar connected to the buckets and kinematic object 14(which is the bit I can't work out how to do), open and shuts the buckets.

so I am asking for some way to connect a bar to each bucket that then connects to object 14.

some like this moving picture.
http://www.atlasmanufacturing.net/Buckets/Environmental%20Dredging%20Bucket.htm

here's some code.

tatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2009 16:34
I understood what your saying without the pic lol, but anyway for something like this, would'nt you use just a regular animation for the bucket? Open/close it.
And seeing that this type of bucket is suspended by cables, maybe just have the physics manipulate the buckets swing as the crane controling it turns?.
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2009 16:55
the way I would normal do this would be to add a limb, but then I have no control over the limb because you cannot turn it into a physX limb.

Could I ask you to do me another bucket again please in TS but using quarter round.

If you do look at the picture you'll see what I am after

I would do it myself but just getting TS to do anything right....

No worries if you don't, might find away of doing this in DBPro basic objects.

If only that mesh command worked 100%.

anyway cheers.

tatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2009 17:39
Do you need just the two pieces for the buckets. or do you need the mechanics for it as well. If you need the mechs I'll need some time to find details for the mechanical features of it.

the way I would normal do this would be to add a limb, but then I have no control over the limb because you cannot turn it into a physX limb.

I sorta explained some errors I had, when adding limbs right in the code. in your vehicle setup post.
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2009 18:08
one half of a bucket will be ok and no mechs, just tried myself and all the did was fly all over the place.

even after I put it in TS and exported out still no diffence, I must be missing something when I do this but what is anyone guess.

can up load the bucket I have, if you want to have a look at it and see if you can tell where I am going wrong, this could be why most models I build don't work.

tatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2009 19:14
sure i'll look it.
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2009 19:24
got it going a bit better but I am sure there something wrong with it.

been trying to lock an object into position so that it will rotate but stay put.
one set of command will do it,just trying to find it, been though 4 of them only a few more to go.

Attachments

tatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2009 19:34
I already see your problem! you either have some inverted normals or your mesh if not a solid mesh, I loaded it with fragmotion.

this is just a quick bucket, I did'nt use a reference so it is abit different looking then yours. Did you make your bucket in truespace? If so upload the scene file for me, so I could have a look at it in truespace.

Attachments

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2009 19:36
No I did it in AC3D which why the faces are wrong, would importing it into TS and then saving the scene and up loading that.

will try this and see how I get on.

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2009 19:38
ok see if that did it.

Attachments

tatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2009 19:41
maybe darkphysics does'nt like ac3d's export? have you tried converting them through other programs?
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2009 19:43
not yet, looking to down load fragmotion and see what that like.

tatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2009 19:49
Yeah Howdo, There are alot of errors in your mesh. I was right about the inverted normals, the inside of your bucket not showing is because how you modeled it. Just give a few minute's and i'll rebuil it for you.
tatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2009 20:17
ok! I rebuilt it from scratch, I don't no anything about ac3d, so i can't pinpoint what your doing wrong. but somehow your getting inverted normals, and some odds faces where the edge should divide a poly into 2 faces, but it does'nt. I can see an edge but I select one poly and both get selected. i'd have to snap a pic to explain what i see.

anyway try this out....

Attachments

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2009 20:23
tatts how did you work out how to use TS, was it watching the videos or reading the Manuel, or just lots of trial and error.

tatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2009 20:37
abit of everything and determination, lot's of trial and error. where my determination came in. I've purchased gamespace in jan 2006 soo. had lot's of time with it.
tatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2009 20:42
I had watched the 3d buzz video on how to make a little elf and animate it. watched it a couple times and followed along. Went through many errors during and had to learn how to fix them myself.

Once I began to recognize the errors that can happen, it started to become easier to use. And now it's more or less a breeze to wip up a model with it.
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2009 20:58
Time well spent with the speed you knock these little models out.

Cheers again.

tatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2009 21:45 Edited at: 14th Mar 2009 21:47
Hey howdo I took a closer look at your model....

I thought I'd show you, as you can see it looks pretty ugly. there is a messed up face in the biggest view. the black poly's are inverted normals, most likely caused from the bad face. the mesh is not solid as you can see from the inside of the bucket. the top of the bucket only needs a single poly if your going to use sepperate objects. And also you used a cylinder, and just cut it up. The bucket I made is from a single cube.

Anyway I thought i'd point these out.

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2009 22:17
well got it going, had to scale up the bucket you gave me as it was to small when loaded ina exported out.

Anyway here the code, found out a fair bit doing this, when using PHY MAKE CYLINDRICAL JOINT, found that the object would twist when moved, so added PHY MAKE FIXED JOINT ; PHY BUILD FIXED JOINT, this little bit stoped the twisting and moving of target.

so here the test code with rems and the x file to go with it.

upkey downkey open and shut the buckets.

next to do is moving the lot up and down.

Attachments

tatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2009 23:44
It still seems to rotate, change this part of the code and look at it from the side, also the object should have some type of constaints to prevent it from going up beyond a certain point.

pressing up will rotate the object up a bit and make it go crazy.

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2009 00:04
added crane bucket up and down plus tesxt to say what does what and put the stop limits in it.

when I get to it, it will have lots of spheres to pick up instead of dropping.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 12:21:43
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 12:21:43