Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / (X9)Pointless Assault Revisited

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2009 22:52
Hi guys
I have done some WIP threads in the last few years mostly to show off design and building custom content and recent projects I have kept me busy like the project upgrade stock content.

My most notable WIP is Pointless Assault where the object has been senseless shooting but not all that easy considering limited health and less powerful weapons and increased baddies and was mostly based on a single level with texture and entity changes. I wasn’t to happy with the FPSC engine at that time mostly due to AI not responding quickly enough a lot has since happened upgrades to 1.15 of the FPSC engine the release of X10

I have tried moving Pointless Assault across to X10 but was not happy with the end result. I had to rethink my approach concerning Pointless Assault. I decided sticking to a single retextured level wasn’t going to cut and would limit the possible combinations I had originally envisioned for the game. Also I decided that custom content would be the route to go. I started playing around with meshes since end 2007 and still making meshes testing limits of X10 and learning the limitations of X10.

You can say I was celibate for nearly 2 years. Not working on any games just purely playing around with meshes textures and testing out the engines and sharing some of those experiences. I also took a break for a few months while I had to rebuild my new home after moving which resulted not much getting done and wasn’t on the forum that often so very few people really know who I am only the die hard know really and those who have visited my stock media upgrade thread.

Sadly that is the end on that boring introduction.

The good news welcome to the new Pointless Assault thread X9 revisited.
This time around I feel that I have enough time on my hands and experience to really get the ball rolling.
I have set my self a target of making at least 1000 meshes before I start working again on Pointless Assault again also formulate a proper game plan as well as some sort of a story attached to Pointless Assault.

I have achieved my goal of the meshes and have a formulated game design plan. As well as a story attached to Pointless Assault.

Here it goes.

The reworked Pointless Assault.
Enjoy the screenshots.

This is one of the sci-fi levels found within Pointless Assault you will find that I have used default textures well enough with custom media to give the desired effect that I wanted in the first place. This however is X9 and don’t think I will move to X10 any time soon there are too many performance issues right now that I’m not happy with however thanks to some mods that I will adding with the final game, will it juice up the GFX a wee bit.

Previous game plan had 22 levels I have changed this to 10 levels with level one starting out with 50 health and reducing it by 5 with each level till level 6 where you only have a pistol with no health power ups.

The new game plan is Sci-Fi themed.

Here is the original thread.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=90393&b=25

Pointless Assault video
http://w13.easy-share.com/1408971.html

Attachments

Login to view attachments
puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool! Cant wait to see more.
BMG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2009 23:56
Thats some great lighting there, keep it up

Krowsnest
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2009 00:05
ahhh.....i remember this, all those awesome screenshots.....

this being no exception

my taste in music isn't weird, its just so amazing your ears haven't quite adapted to it yet.
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2009 21:48
Like I said before planning on using custom segments.I find that doing big rooms or large areas could become problem areas as I prefer more enclosed areas where the light mapping suites me better.

To enjoy a successful level one does need visual change every now and then to avoid levels being boring and tiresome and keeps the player guessing the gantry section here catches the player then the angled windows in the roof by then he is already half way across the raised gantry and would have noticed the enemies on both sides should he keep on running he will find him self trapped in a dead end.The enemies has been placed in such away that he can safely hide and avoid being shot as the enemies can't advance however the player has already been shot once or twice if has low life he would have to think before crossing the gantry again.

On closer inspection he will find health on the one side and ammo on the other side closely guarded by 2 enemies on each side.

Taking into account this is not a rush and shoot on sight game and that certain enemies at random have one shot kills abilities it will take careful consideration before planning the next move.

Pointless Assault video

Attachments

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2009 00:24
it looks good but only 15 frames a second...

gamer for life
mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2009 16:18
looks nice, but framrate too low.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2009 01:14 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2009 01:16
Yeah thanks I have since removed the mod and no problems frame back up again to normal made some minor changes.Changes will occur as I do the layout and create new segments you will see the segments I have made will also be in the stock media upgrade.

two new screenies with the changes.

The glass floors adds more depth to the scene still if the process of making loose hanging wires for that added effect

Pointless Assault video

Attachments

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2009 01:15
second screenie with the new pipes

Pointless Assault video

Attachments

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2009 22:24
Awesome, check out the refraction shader from the Ultimate Shader Pack, it bends the D2 tex around the I map and gives the windows a sweet bump effect...

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod, and he'll break it up into firewood...or swap it for a fish."
-Frankie Boyle, on Mock the Week
Bendak11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2009 05:05
That G3 doesn't look so good with the rest of your screens. Don't get me wrong, this looks amazing, but the G3 does not belong.
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 23:02
Hi guys added some more segments I'm nearing the limit of what can be added I like the over all feel more and more

Pointless Assault video

Attachments

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2009 18:57
hi guys a video I made with cam studio that takes a screeny every few seconds

Pointless Assault video

Attachments