Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / so many tools! which one to choose?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
may be here isn't the right place for this topic, but i didn't know where i must sent it. so, i'm sorry if i did wrong.

we are a little team and working on game making. in the past we used qbasic and then visualbasic. cause our games was simple puzzle games.
now we want to produce more graphical game and for this reason i searched the net for finding useful tools.
i know that the best and first choice for big companies or seriouse game makers is c++. but we don't have much needs and also don't want to learn c++!

i found so many basic compilers and now we have a question front of ourselve! which one of this basics are good for us?
they are almost in same price range. so price isn't very important. but what i want to know is which one dedicate more power with ease?
(i know that you are here cause you like db, but may be you tried some of these tools before)

actually i mean the best choice between these: darkbasicpro,purebasic,blitz3D
thank you for your attention
Reza
JimB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2002 00:27
If you came from Qbasic,then Darkbasicpro would be a logical choice because there is a similarity in structure only much more powerfull.Don't know anything about purebasic,tried a demo of Blitz3d a while ago I did'nt like
the language format at all.

JimB

Viktor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2002 00:53
Pure Basic is like Visual Basic, and has advantages over DBP: It is at this time bug-free, and has a better AVI/MPG player. Neverthenless I choose DBP bacause it is easier to write code in.
With all bugs sorted out and a better movie anim support DBP will be the best choice for coding.
I tried BlitzBasic demo too, but I do not like it... If you try to type in this: FOR A=1 to 10:NEXT A, you will get a error because there is a parameter after NEXT. Strange!

Dreamora
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2002 01:16
Purebasic has one big prob: no 3D if you don't want to write a 3D engine based on OpenGL by yourself.

Blitz3D: Quite powerfull but its syntax and inner logic reminds more of C++ than of basic

DBP: an easy language, which could be extremly powerfull if there weren't that many many bugs at the moment

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2002 01:25
DBP is more well rounded IMHO.
BB3D is slightly harder, slightly less buggy than DB
Never really tried purebasic for more than 5 minutes.

Really, with a little work DBP and BB3D will give the same results. It's up to you... and this really isn't the greatest place to ask because a lot of users here are biased towards DB.

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Get the DB Weekly Newsletter at www.dbwn.cjb.net
Reza
Years of Service
User Offline
actually our first choice was DBPro! but after reading the forum we found that it has so many bugs at this time. (can say that these forum are full of bug reports! )
but anyway it is very important to choose right tools cause we spend our time (our life!) on learning it and making something. so if DBPro is better choice in features then we can wait until it become bug free and in midtime learning it. or if purebasic is better we can wait until it grow and so on.
any opinion can help us.
regards

p.s.
we downloaded all demo version of these programs,related documentation and demo projects and games made with them.
but your opinio is important too. learning and programing are timely process and no one can find good answer in short time.

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2002 23:57
well, no one goes around posting about how a product ISN'T bug free, people only post about known bugs. And patches are coming out fast.

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Get the DB Weekly Newsletter at www.dbwn.cjb.net
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2002 01:28
True - we should have Patch 3 ready before Christmas.

Also I know which would you rather wait longer for - an existing features bug to be fixed, or an entire set of features to be added?

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
Reza
Years of Service
User Offline
actually if developer continues to improve its product , waiting for fixing the bugs is more reasonable than adding the features.
but if amount of bugs cause program unusefull how we can wait for fixing them ? when there is bug it mean that we can't use related feature.
so subject is about which one can be better? more features+more bugs, or less features with less bugs?
i prefer first one! but i want to know is it possible to make a game with this version of dbrp as is? or we need to wait for patch3 (or may be other patches) before that we can make a real game with this program?

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2002 01:56
I don't think you can really answer that question - sure you could make a game with the current release of DBPro - but could you make the kind of game YOU want to? I have no idea. As I'm sure you can appreciate this question is too subjective and personal to be able to answer it. Sure there are bugs, some of them are glaring, but none stop you from actually working with the majority of the command set.

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
Ratty Rat
Years of Service
User Offline
Surely some of this is down to the nature of the Bug, some you can live with because there are realistic alternatives (workarounds) you can use, such as the ongoing problems with SELECT....CASE, worst comes to worst you can fall back on lots of If...Thens instead.

But when you find something as fundamental to 3D coding as the object rotation problems (reported in several streams here) where both sets of commands used for the operation fail to work correctly (both Object Rotate and Pitch/Roll/Turn show problems), and there is no workaround many projects must find they have hit a brick wall, how can you write a free flight game, for instance, without being able to rotate an object correctly?

Even trying to write all the code around the problem can become depressing, when your wonderful concept ends up looking like a lame duck.

Anyway, thats my two cents worth

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 17:42:15
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 17:42:15