Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Rollerway

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2009 16:41 Edited at: 19th Apr 2009 05:37

Rollerway is a fast-paced action game in which you must get the ball to the finish line whilst not falling off the track. There is a total of 15 levels, each one getting progressively harder. Click to roll forwards and move the mouse sideways to steer. Enjoy!

Download here (~15mb) - ZIP

Screenshots:

It has taken a long time to finish this game (much more than I'd originally expected) but the work has payed off. Development started back in 2007 when I was a complete novice in DBPro. The project stalled for more than a year, then recently, I touched it up with some more levels, a start screen, audio, etc.

Have fun!

z_man (aka Alzza)

Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2009 18:18 Edited at: 8th Apr 2009 18:18
The backgrounds look very good was looking forward to playing but the download link isn't working (down for maintainence or something).
z_man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 02:10
Sorry about that, I completely forgot to remove the IP lock from the site! =S Should work now.

Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 2GB DDR2 RAM Radeon X1600 Series Realtek Sound System

Persist and you will succeed.
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 05:22
You should post it in ZIP format as people sometimes don't like to install things. Looks good though

<---Spell casting battle game!
z_man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 05:38 Edited at: 9th Apr 2009 05:45
You're right, installers can be a pain. I'm currently uploading a zip version now. EDIT: Uploaded

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 06:46
Dude, that is really nice. If this is your first project completed in DBPro then I must say WELL DONE. I'm doing a marble game with Newton myself but it's more like marble madness than what you have going. You should post your game over at the Newton Game Dynamics forums, I think Julio would get a kick out of seeing it.

How did you handle such high speed collisions? How often do you call NDB_NewtonUpdate per second? Do you use fixed rate logic, time slicing, or something else to keep it consistent across computers? I have a horrible computer and it was nice and smooth.

I think if you add a little more polish and other game mechanics you could actually sell this game. And I don't throw that statement around lightly here.

It's quite polished already (nice menu, fade in/out, background music). A couple ideas off the top of my head that might push it further. Mind you I only got up to the 4th level or so (when it turned to red floors) so pardon if some of this is done.

1) More types of glowing bars, maybe ones to slow your forward movement down? Make you more "sluggish" (sideways movement reduced)?
2) Have an actual timer countdown for the level. Beat it in 90 seconds or lose. Or have a set # of lives at the beginning. User could unlock levels so they don't have to go through earlier ones.
3) Gems/Diamonds/Coins to pickup. Just some goodies for pointage.
4) High score
5) More levels, secret levels if special exit hit, etc. maybe a level map/grid to show progress

Anyway again well done.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
z_man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 08:06
Thanks tiresus. I know, there needs to be more powerups and such, and I'm not sure whether to put them in this version or get straight to developing a Rollerway 2.

Quote: "How did you handle such high speed collisions? How often do you call NDB_NewtonUpdate per second? Do you use fixed rate logic, time slicing, or something else to keep it consistent across computers? I have a horrible computer and it was nice and smooth. "

Yeah, this was one of the bigger problems I faced during development - I was actually going through hell trying to stop the tunneling effect. So, I came up with a system which seemed to work quite well. Basically what happens is that the physics has four loops to every sync, meaning I could essentially divide the speed of the ball by four and thus reduce tunneling (not sure if there is a term for this). It also uses VSync which gives a perfect synchronization with the monitor resulting in really smooth play.

Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 14:02
Fun game I thought that the front end of the game was very well polished, and the levels I played were fun. I generally agree with tiresius' comments on the game, sometimes the levels can feel a bit empty so more collectable items and all that would go nicely. Also a timer stops people going too slowly through the levels. Although overall, good stuff
AlexRiva
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 15:12 Edited at: 9th Apr 2009 15:14
Hey! Cool!

From the screenshots seems a great work!
I'm at work now but when at home I'll download it and will post my feedback

I don't know if you have seen my DBC 2006 game Skyblazer but it's pretty similar even in the graphics!
I'm a huge fan of the trailblazer kind of games!
here you can see what game I'm talking about:
http://www.maskedbear.com/games_arcade_Q.html

BTW I run a Freeware games website (the one in the sign) I'm asking you to showcase your game in it with a mini review and a link to your website, tell me if that's ok for you!

Visit my new website: http://www.maskedbear.com
z_man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 17:16
Thanks for the feedback

@AlexRiva - Hey, I think I remember seeing your game a while back. And sure, I'm happy if you showcase it on your site. That'd be great.

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2009 17:20
Quote: "Basically what happens is that the physics has four loops to every sync"

Ah that explains it, sounds like you're updating Newton over 200 times a second. Looking forward to a sequel or your next project!

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
AlexRiva
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 00:05 Edited at: 10th Apr 2009 00:06
I tried the game at home and I must say it's really good!

The physics are great and so gameplay and game speed.
Simple but polished and good-looking graphics.

A couple of ideas:
-I would add lives and checkpoints instead of repeating the level form start since it's a bit frustating at times to restart anew for falling at the last inches
-Furthermore I suggest to increase ball agility and lateral movement, while reducing its lateral inertia. Sometimes you fall because of the difficulty to control the ball. This would add a lot to gameplay IMO

Overall a really good game!
Well done!

I will include it in my website , I see you have not a website so I would link to your page at Gametorpedo as home/download page. Which name do you want me to put as creator "z_man" or "Alzza" ?

Visit my new website: http://www.maskedbear.com
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 01:40 Edited at: 10th Apr 2009 01:41
Wow nice job, it looks really polished and was fun to play . Just a quick question-- is the media in the .pck file and if so how did you get it in there and be able to load it? I'm not going to steal your media or anything, I'm just curious as it is something I hope to replicate in some of my games.

z_man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 03:34 Edited at: 10th Apr 2009 03:43
@AlexRiva - Use Alzza as the name - thanks. Also, when you tested it, were you using the mouse or the arrow keys? I'll look over the physics again sometime and see if I can make it easier/more fun.

@Sixty Squares - Thanks, all the media (except audio) lies in the "Data" folder encrypted, then loads it by means of a plugin called gamecrypt which I think is actually now discontinued. Also, I've set DBPro to compile the game with a .pck file and a small exe. I did this since I actually used another program to attach the icon, as DBPro wasn't doing a very good job of making the icon look nice. When I need to update the game (logic), I just replace Rollerway.pck and leave the exe intact.

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 12:10
haha, looks great! Reminds me of an old Atari game called Trailblazer, i used to love the game

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 17:03
You have done a very nice job on everything here! I really like it, although I can't get past level 3

I especially like the background and how everything goes into the distance!

TheComet

Peachy, and the Chaos of the Gems

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 17:27
Ah I see. Thanks

Quote: "Also, I've set DBPro to compile the game with a .pck file and a small exe."

Interesting... Would you mind telling me how you did this (made the .pck file, etc.)? If you don't want to that's okay too .

z_man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2009 02:33
If you use the original IDE it is a radio button under "Executable Settings" on the settings panel. Every IDE has the setting somewhere (at least I know synergy does).

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2009 19:56
Wow I did not see that. Thanks for answering all of my questions!

z_man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2009 04:31
No problem

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2009 14:26
Level 14 is IMPOSSIBLE!!! I want to see you do it!

TheComet

z_man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2009 05:40 Edited at: 16th Apr 2009 05:47
It's possible, just very hard.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2009 11:45
You are right! I made it!

But are you sure level 15 is possible? I always miss the third purple jump strip thingy, and therefore am not high enough to make it!

Anyway, I found one design error, I think.

In level 13, where you should stick to the walls in that tunnel, I swung left and right viciously and managed to fling out of the tunnel and land on top of it. From there it is really easy to finish.

And a nice feature would be a level select. Because I was at level 14 when I saved, and when I started the game the next day, I accidentally pressed "Play" and it deleted my save and started new

Very nice, addictive game!

TheComet

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2009 21:31 Edited at: 16th Apr 2009 21:32
just tried this and it's very nice, z_man! my only complaint is the game doesn't tell me what level i'm on (and i have a terrible memory ).

good work!

<< if you're under-age, that's delicious spring water, not vodka

z_man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2009 03:20 Edited at: 18th Apr 2009 03:27
@TheComet - That makes three people who have been able to pass through level 13 by getting on top of the tunnel.

@Virtual Nomad - Thanks, you're right, there needs to be a better system of organizing the levels (such as a level select screen, which TheComet suggested). That's another thing on my to do list.

SO, it looks like there will end up being a version 1.1

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Man, the last few levels got intense! Beat the game though, any chance of more in the future?

z_man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2009 08:22 Edited at: 19th Apr 2009 08:23
Well done! I'm thinking about making a Rollerway 2, so yes, there's a chance there'll be more to come.

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
That last level should be more epic though, especially that tunnel at the end.

ThatOther Person
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice I think having a level select menu and recording your best time would give it a bit more replay value but I wouldn't change anything about aside from maybe making the sound effect for the speed up things a bit louder because they tend to get drowned out by the music. I hope you go through with your plans to make a Rollerway 2
Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2009 23:43
Cool game. Did you say something about arrow key controls? Is there any way i can activate them?
z_man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2009 08:41
Dr Tank - You can activate the arrow keys with the command line -ENABLEARROWKEYS

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2009 17:00
Perhaps i'm being stupid. How do i get to the command line?

Also i'd recommend using fullscreen windowed mode. Great music BTW.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2009 21:11 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2009 21:13
@Dr Tank -

make a shortcut to rollerway. then in the Target field, add the -ENABLEARROWKEYS parameter.

ie, "C:\games\Rollerway.exe -ENABLEARROWKEYS"

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2009 23:22
Thanks. I learn something new everyday. Had to put it like this:

"C:\games\Rollerway.exe" -ENABLEARROWKEYS

(just the quotation marks moved)

Got a bit further, stuck on the first green level. Having to go all the way back to the start every time you fall off is quite vexing. Maybe give the players a few lives and have checkpoints.

z_man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2009 09:12
Glad you got it working

Sorry, I should have given proper instructions.

bobbel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2009 09:30
Good game, i like the colors, and the menu is nice too. I like the loading screen too lol. Good job!

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
z_man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2009 05:16
Thanks, bobbel

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2009 22:16
Very nice, I think im close to the end, and I havnt stopped playing it since I got it. Im on the third blank and orange level I think. The one AFTER the giant jump map. In fact, I feel the need to go play it some more.

Check out my current WIP. SLIME 09
forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=149899&b=8
castek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2009 22:33
looks pretty fun but when ever I hit download it says page not found

"The Beginning is the end."
Windows Vista Ultimate SP1
INTEL PENTIUM DUAL E2200 2.2 GHz 4 Gb RAM GeForce 9600 512 mb
z_man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 09:31 Edited at: 6th May 2009 09:32
Quote: "looks pretty fun but when ever I hit download it says page not found"

Really sorry about that, fixed.

@flashing snall: That's the last level, well done!

Lazlazlaz 1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 18:00
Awesome game, pretty hard though

Sioux - Hollywood Western Style RTS - Possibly coming soon if I don't give up on it again.
z_man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2009 13:06
Thanks, yes it can be quite hard. It depends on your mouse setup too.

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2009 19:09
Wellll, I got to level 4 (was quite some hard work.. ) but then AntiVir opened its advertising, so the game got minimized and wanted me to restart it. I didn't, due to my eyes needing a break...
The game is quite fun, even though I'd prefer keyboard-controls and some sort of motivational unlock-feature-whatever. Furthermore this accellerators and jump-things seem quite unintuitive. In the beginning I always thought, I had to dodge them and wondered why I didn't even make the first jump of level 1.
By the way, motion blur would fit perfectly, improving the feel of speed even more.
Sorry if some of this aspects have been mentioned - I have to admit I didn't read the whole thread, since I don't have that much time.
Soo... good work all in all, even though a bit of polishing would make the game even better.

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2009 02:05
This game is too hard. You may think it's fun to add obstacles in levels that are impossible to forsee, but that's not a good game element. Simply tricking the user by putting a wall or a hole where you can't see it coming just makes it frustrating, as opposed to a satisfying learning experience where you improve your skill. There are also things like having to climb that stupid green hill eighty times in a row because the next part that comes after it is too difficult to navigate easily. Without a save state that green hill is a frustrating game experience. You already punished the user for dying, why make them waste another 45 seconds of their lives in boring anticipation?

Other than that, the game is fun. Still haven't beaten it yet.

z_man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2009 10:16
Quote: "You may think it's fun to add obstacles in levels that are impossible to forsee"

I'm sorry if you see it this way -- I didn't actually intend most of the obstacles to be like this. I agree with you on the green hill level though, it's something which could be totally redesigned.

Clbembry
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2009 04:49
Fun and addicting

Very nice work
z_man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2009 16:12
Thanks Clbembry

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2009 21:56
I saw this game in the newsletter just now!

Who rates the "8.6 out of 10"?

TheComet

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2009 03:52
Quote: "I saw this game in the newsletter just now!

Who rates the "8.6 out of 10"?"

The banner is from his site, Game Torpedo. It's a pretty cool place, you should check it out.

i like orange
z_man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2009 09:09
Quote: "Who rates the "8.6 out of 10"?"

It's an average of all the votes submitted for the game (on the site).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 23:40:25
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 23:40:25