Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Disappearing Objects In Physics Simulation

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2009 11:14 Edited at: 27th Apr 2009 11:39
Hello All,

While using Dark Physics, I have my character run into a model of a street light to knock it over by applying force to the light when a collision is detected between the character and the street lights. I'm using many objects to find out what could cause my problem. The street light falls over then disappears. When you walk away from the light it reappears.
I've tried zooming out (camera -z) and it still does it. So the camera isn't too close.

The street light does fall over. But it disappears during the movement. I've tried this with other objects as well. Such as trash bags, a dumpster and more, All the objects disappear during the movement. I'm using .DBO files exported from Giles Lightmapper but I've also tried .X files without the lightmapper and it still does it. I've moved the camera away from the character along the Z axis and it still disappears. I've tried scaling the objects in the 3D editor to be much bigger, thinking the objects were too small, Still disappears and reappears during movement.
I scaled the objects using code, still does it. It's not the model because all objects that I do this with have this problem. The object disappears but the collision box in the simulation is still there. The character still collides with it and cannot walk forward even though the object is gone. The object will reappear after moving around some.
Here's what I'm doing ...

I've been banging my head against the wall for days! I cannot figure out why every object I try disappears while moving in the simulation. I've searched this topic in the forum and one guy had the same problem and solved it. All he said was ""It's all about pivot points"" which doesn't tell me much. I've reset all pivots to center in the 3D editor. But to no abail. Fix Object Pivot doesn't work either. Stumped.
Any help or ideas would really be appreciated!
Thanks

Windows:
At Least The hour Glass Works
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2009 14:54
Have you tried the phy update 1 and phy update 0, where phy update 1 is at the begin of the do loop and the other at the end.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
Kendor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2009 15:11
A small workaround, that usually works, is to use set object radius objno, -1 on the object that is disappearing.

eyequeue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2009 22:21
ahhhhh, set object radius works!
Thanks Kendor

I didn't realize that this command affected Dark Physics collision. Objects are crashing around beautifully now, thanks a million!

And thanks Howdo for the effort, though the parameters on Phy Start didn't work, I still didn't realize you could put parameters on it to make a better performing simulation. I'm still learning this plugin so thanks a bunch!

Windows:
At Least The hour Glass Works
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 13:22
Quote: " I'm still learning this plugin so thanks a bunch!"

Yeah! it takes a bit of time, I ended up printing out all the chm files and then reading through them all.

Reading them thats the easy bit, working out how to use them together takes a lot longer.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 10:14:43
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 10:14:43