Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Two Day Game - Persuasion

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2009 06:41 Edited at: 27th May 2009 01:18
So, I had a bunch of friends over on friday night, and got them up to date on our Slime '09 Game ( http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=149899&b=8 )

At 2 AM, Asa declared we should make a new quick mini game, and be done before the break of dawn. After he suggested this, he quickly deteriorated into a goon, and went over to his computer cackaling. He started to model something, and pretty much stopped caring about the game. (I lost the game)

However, the seed had been planted, and I wanted to make a game as quick as possible. We did some collective brain storming, and came up with the following game requirements.
1. Must have cute critters called Fuzz
2. Must have gore
3. Must be fun

After those got down, I was pretty much the only sane person left awake, except for Greg, but he was busy. So, I drafted up this quick concept art.

I got some good feed back from that, so I then set out on a conquest to make a game. ASAP.
As you can tell, I didnt finish before the break of dawn. Everyone went to sleep at around 2:30AM. As for Asa, he sorta blacked out, and unconsciously modeled this weird abstract space ship thingy....
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/flashingsnall/spaceship-1.png
After completing that, he fell over, and went to sleep. I was left alone, and I only lasted until 3:30.

When I awoke in the morning, pretty much everyone had already left, leaving me yet again, ALONE. *grumble grumble*

I spent the rest of saturday, and most of today, working to finish this game. There are 28 levels. It is fun. It has things called fuzz. And it is gory.

I hope you enjoy this, I find it QUITE entertaining.

Trailer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d23IB6YFh6Y

*required screen shot*

Attachments

Login to view attachments
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2009 17:28 Edited at: 26th May 2009 23:22
Crap, sorry for the double post, but our SGP servers are being funky, so I have to use this to upload stuff.
EDIT:
bug fixes.
1. Help menu is not wrong anymore
2. Scoring system works after level resets
3. Levels 27 and 28, work.
Enjoy.

EDIT: I removed the attached file, so you could get this one instead. Version 3.
https://forumfiles.thegamecreators.com/download/1763910

Check out my current WIP. SLIME 09
forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=149899&b=8
feiting shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
nice, though I couldn't get past level 4, just realized I should go to the sides before I quit too... really neat idea!

Also, the more blood stains, the slower the game. Could use an image instead of circle commands to keep the pace going or something. But it speeds up as soon as you hit retry, so it's relatively smoothe already!

Signed
------
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2009 21:11
I do use sprites for blood.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2009 23:07 Edited at: 25th May 2009 23:15
very fun, flashing snall! i had an idea for a "herding" game recently but nothing quite as ~squishy~ as this

i'm currently stuck at Around the Bend but looking forward to playing this again (and again).

quick Q: are the Fuzz influenced across the board or does the influence chain from one to "nearby" Fuzz? i ask because sometimes it seems to reach across the screen while others it's a roughly 1/4-screen range.

i really do appreciate these simple-yet-fun games; just shows what an idea and 48 hours can produce. good work!

oh, btw, i didn't notice a slowdown but if you're looking to alleviate for others, consider drawing the shots & splats to bitmap 0 (since they become permanent on show). also, i would appreciate an on-screen level indicator or you could list them in order by title here

edit: ah, i just too a look at your level files and found i'm on lvl 6

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2009 02:47 Edited at: 26th May 2009 03:13
Woa, super ninja! Hehe, if you found the level file, I guess you could change it so you could beat it

I like your suggestions, Ill see if I cant get those up and running.
I find it interesting your stuck at "Around the Bend", because thats the one that I always find a very nice break after the last few. Ill try and get a video capture of it if you want. Ill have to figure out how to draw to bitmap 0... Could you explain that?

The fuzz are scared by their friends being shot from a certain distance.

EDIT: Oh, and thank you for putting up that video! I was awed to see that.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2009 05:54 Edited at: 26th May 2009 05:55
Quote: "draw to bitmap 0"

well, i thought i'd done it before by pasting the sprites to a memblock and then (re-)making bitmap 0 from the memblock but i've been tinkering with it for awhile now and can't get it to work like i thought it would. i tried pasting sprites (for the quick rotation like you're using), but that invokes the backdrop. i can get images to the memblock and back to bitmap 0 pretty quick but rotating the images in memory (other than 90 deg increments) isn't something i've got a grip on, yet. sorry bout that

as for Around the Bend, i'd only gone through once and now that i've played it (and learned a little) i'm sure i can get through it. not ready to cheat and edit the level yet!

and, the vid ...i've been playing with some capture software lately and thought recording some of my favorites would be both good practice for me and some deserved exposure for you (and Jimpo, currently). i hope to be adding more soon

David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2009 18:26 Edited at: 26th May 2009 18:27
That was actually surprisingly fun

It got a bit difficult too quickly (in my opinion), but it was 'fair game' for something constructed so quickly. If you rewrote it with some polish, and some kind of 'prediction' on each shot (like golf, so it could show an arrow of which direction your shot would cause the fuzz to move in - that way it would be a bit more skill/logic based than being mainly chance) it could be a good standalone game.

Nice one.

09-f9-11-02-9d-74-e3-5b-d8-41-56-c5-63-56-88-c0
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2009 22:25 Edited at: 27th May 2009 01:18
Why thankyou! All of the feedback Ive gotten back (through you guys and my friends) leads me to believe that this game is WAY to hard. Ive beaten it all the way through in under half an hour, but I also made it, so...

Im sort of debating weather this would port to the 360 well. This might be a good XNA DBPChallenge idea.
I might re-write some of the levels and release them with the next version, which includes
1. better menu (no lag, controlled with mouse)
2. A music on/off switch
3. A level menu counter
4. HOPEFULLY some better lag control.

EDIT:
Well, I couldnt get improve the blood at all. I tried just pasting images, but I couldnt figure out how to get the background of the images go away.
No new levels either, but you can go in and make your own, just re-write some of the level files. Theyre documented.

Get Version 3 here.
https://forumfiles.thegamecreators.com/download/1763910

Dragon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2009 03:24
This game, is quite cool! , it's a great game ^-^

I've never played a game before which you actually had to kill your own lil critters to save them, superb work

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2009 03:56
hehe, thats what us wacky American teenagers will come up with at 2AM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 14:35:44
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 14:35:44