Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Levels for 3d Space shooter

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
As i am new to creating games but alright with programming, what do i nead to create levels for a space game can the cartography shop create the levels.
GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2002 23:42
What kind of space game?

If its an FPS:
Certainly Cartography Shop can do it - but there are pros and cons to using it. (Pros: Nice effects from lightmapping, easy to use, existing code about to help you use - cons: VERY poor after-sales support, limited functionality). Personally speaking I really like it and I like the end results I get from it but I had to devote a lot of time to working out how to get the most from it (with virtually no help avaliable) and there are lots of good level designer progs for use with DB/DBP so try them all and decide which you like best.

Another option is to make your own designer for the levels and this is a route many good games in production in DB have taken.

If its a space ship sim:
If I was doing this sort of game I would certainly design my own editor as none of the editors I've seen are really designed for making the sort of levels you'd make for it.

I guess what I'm really saying is that its ultimately up to you to find out which method suits you and the way you work best, which is a bit of a cop out for an answer and I'm sorry about that.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 23:57:13
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 23:57:13