Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Bunch of questions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2002 06:20
Ok. Me again. Last time I ranted about polygons this and polygons that - now prepare for some more ranting.

1) Bugs. Short: How prone to bugging is DBPro on a below-average system? Say, a P3 450 or similar/slightly better?

2) Effectivity. Is DBPro effective? Does it pack with all necessary commands for your Joe-average gaming needs? That is, easy-to-use interface, 3D and BSP commands that work at least half of the time...

3) Graphics. What about GFX? Color depths (stupid question), mirroring, multi-texturing, anti-aliazing, Santa Clause-on-drugs effects and so forth. Are commands easy to use, powerful, complete and effective? Does it provide below average, average or better than average game GFX standards?

4) Multiplayer. Is it simple to set up TCP/IP or LAN (IPX) connections and can they do what they are supposed to without lagging your computer back to the stone-age?

5) MDL support. Does it work well? Can you use, which also frustrated me in DBStandard, Mesh Deformation and more advanced animation techniques (CStudio for example.)?

6) Sound and music. Can it provide high-bit sound and music? CD-quality is a stupid term, but does support for digitally compressed formats such as MP3 work well?

7) Pros and cons. Give me all you got! Fire your entire arsenals of critique, suggestions and marriage proposals (to DB... I'm not available, hehe).

8) Thank you for reading the previous ones...
Dreamora
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2002 08:46
no
no
no
no
no
no
no

still lots too buggy, needs some very very good patches to be really usefull.
i'll wait using mine ... (or buy PureBasic and write an own 3D Engine within OpenGL)

Hubdule
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2002 09:05
DBPro has bugs that's true. I think you should wait for about 1 or 2 patches (around christmas) then DBPro should work really nice.

"(or buy PureBasic and write an own 3D Engine within OpenGL)"

denki
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2002 09:40
1. You need to upgrade, you wouldn't get much out of DBP ith that anyway. DBP was very buggy, now it's not to bad with patch two, I can use it stabily and haven't had a problem since, oh except on matrix textures. Patch 3 will sort the rest of the 3d problems and add a speed increase!
2. DBP is both easy and powerful.
3. Yes and as for standards, however you create them, just don't expect the next Morrowind.
4. I've never tried but people have used DB1 multiplayer commands well, See starwraith 3.
5. MDL support doesn't work well, if at all yet, but I have yet to try.
6. Yes.
7. Pros - Easy to use, powerful, great IDE
Cons - Still a little buggy.
I say get it now, you can wait for a patch, but then you can't use it now! Use it now, then improve with the fixes!

denki
Kousen DPB RPG latest - Working on editors!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 10:06:56
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 10:06:56