Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / what should i start with?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I want to start using dark basic to make games. obviously i dont think i will be able to make the next tomb raider or call of duty within months, as thats not going to happen. But i just need to know what things i need to start making games, like would i need a 3d terrain editor or is everything done inside dark basic. One last question which version of dark basic would be better for me dark basic classic or dark basic pro and what are the differences between them?
That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2009 19:34
as for the differences, pro is much betr for experienced programmers as it can do more and do many things DBC cant, but its much harder in my opinion to start off in pro

and DONT!!!!!!!! and I mean DONT!!!!!!!! start off with 3d

start off using text games, do that until you sufficiently understand text commands, then go to 2d, mastering 2d will take you many months but you will learn ALOT of fundamentals in the process, only once you have truly mastered 2d should you go to 3d

trust me on this, o and btw, dont expect to make a call of duty within your first few YEARS not months

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who dont
stringy
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah i relised i wouldnt ever make a game like that and i dont expect too much tbh but what do you mean by text games as when i hear that i instantly think of pokemon style games. But thanks for the fast reply and even making 2d games once ive done text would i need anything other than the dark basic classic i can buy from tgc
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Text games are like the old text adventures, where there is ONLY text. You would learn a lot of the basics of code structure this way, since you wouldn't have to worry about loading media and such.

If you want to get into 2d at least, the general suggestion is to make a pong clone.

Actually, the best place to start would probably be TDK's tutorials. Those will give you a great head start to learning the language.

Quote: ". obviously i dont think i will be able to make the next tomb raider or call of duty within months"

Looks like you are ahead of most noobs already. you didn't even MENTION an MMO either (Many people get darkbasic and say:"Hey guys, I am new and will be making the next most awesome MMORPG EVER EVER, how do I check to see if the up key is pressed?")!

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2009 21:02
yeah thats what they do, and nice bn2 i totally 4got to mention tdk's tutorials

yeah go there first that is ur best place to start

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who dont
stringy
Years of Service
User Offline
okays thanks for the help its much apreciated ill get dbc and look at the tdk's tutorials
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 14th Jun 2009 23:29 Edited at: 14th Jun 2009 23:31
Yeah Stringy is a lot more realistic than 99% of the newbies that show up here. With that attitude you'll go far programming.

I recommend Darkbasic Pro. It isn't harder to program in Pro it's just better/faster and with a lot more commands it allows you to do more powerful stuff. Like in Pro's sprite commands there are all the commands that Classic has plus 20 more. Everything from rotating sprites to easy to make animated sprites. You don't have to use them all but when you need to you already have them if you start with Darkbasic Pro.

The 20 sprite commands that Classic doesn't have:

And that's just the sprite commands... there are many more commands all over Pro that Classic doesn't have.

stringy
Years of Service
User Offline
hmm il have to have a bit more of a look into pro then but i spose i could get classic and get used to that first
That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2009 23:45
ya pro is way betr but if you ask me its easier to start with DBC since you dont have to worry about prjects, loading media, etc

all you have to do is type!

stringy
Years of Service
User Offline
cool il probably just start wit db as t seems easier to start with and pro sounds as if its for more experienced users
That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2009 00:24
well...... im not sure about more experienced but it is faster and has a MUCH broader command set and more experienced users will GREATLY benefit from using pro over dbc

ultimately though the choice is up to you

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2009 01:06
Text is the way to go.
I Repeat.
Text is the way to go.
Start with a Text adventure.

If some one had told me that(Or, rather, had I listened),it would not have took me as long as it had to do basic stuff and turn it in to a "real" game.....

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too big.
stringy
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks for even more help im goin to look into pro a bit and decide which one to get but im definetly goin to do tdk's tutorials and start with a text game, then 2d when im ready and if i ever get good maybe a 3d game.
pictionaryjr
Years of Service
User Offline
Everyone says not to start out with 3d yet I did and at least I think I'm doing fine.
Raybrite2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2009 02:01
I have DB Lite for $14.95.
Also, print out the book for DB Pro. It is 145 pages and is the same as the tutorials TDK has except that the pictures are there and the code is printed in the text.
Good luck as I am having some problems with learning basic. (Colons and such.)
I know you can do it. I am 69 and forget a lot of things.
Good Luck. Later I plan to get the $89 offer to get DB Pro and a lot of other programs. I think it is called DB Studio.
stringy
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah im sure you can learn it to bud just takes a while. but yeah db studio looks good i might get it once im good at db classic
That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2009 02:03
two things:

1)you're not supposed to reveal your age on the forum raybrite

2)69!?!?! whoa!!!! most of the people who have said theyr age on here are in their teens or college years

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Careful with the DBPro book as it may use commands that DBC/Lite doesn't support.

As for the never-ending debate as to classic or pro, I personally like classic better. Not sure why, but I just never got into using pro when I tried it. Classic was addicting in a way pro never was (go figure since they are pretty much the same).

It is also nice (in a weird way) that DB Classic/Lite DOESN'T have all of those commands. It forces you to think outside the box and later, when you are familiar with functions and other more advanced topics, you can write your own functions to make up for those missing commands (a fun pass-time when you have no other programs to work on).

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
stringy
Years of Service
User Offline
cool ill stick to classic and tdk's tutorials as they seem the best way to go as they look like they show all of the comands ill need for a long time

again cheers for all the help and the support
That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2009 01:46
ok, feel free to post your first game and we'll be glad to help, whether you want us to or not

stringy
Years of Service
User Offline
haha sounds good if i get a game made then i will post it to see what you think, it wont be brilliant but it will hopefully be a start
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2009 03:53
Even those of us who have been coding for years still have difficulty knowing what to do next.
It's important to seek out knowledge and inspiration (TGC forum!) when you get bored or hit a wall in your development as a coder. Otherwise you may lose interest for a while.

Try setting restrictions on yourself; after all you are programming a very powerful machine (even if your pc is old), to push it to exhaustion would take a colossal effort (or extremely bad code ). Maybe you could challenge yourself to make a game in 100 lines, or within 1 hour, or only using 20 variables. Becoming efficient with the commands will give you an advantage when you move on to bigger projects.

And finally always try to build your programs/ideas from a solid core of knowledge; resist the urge to dream up an empty shell of a game and try to fill in the gaps later. I'm not saying that you shouldn't try new things but if you have an idea that you don't know how to code, work it out; don't build on it until you've done so.

There is an eight letter word. You can insert a letter into it or remove a letter from it without changing its meaning. Answer
That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2009 03:58
Quote: "development as a coder"

lol - its a pun!

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2009 04:08
Quote: "lol - its a pun!"

It is? Explain, I don't get it.

There is an eight letter word. You can insert a letter into it or remove a letter from it without changing its meaning. Answer
That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2009 04:11
we are software DEVELOPERS, u said DEVELOPMENT as a coder, that clear things up?

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2009 04:16
Oh right, I actually just tagged "as a coder" onto the end of that sentence so you're totally right

Raybrite2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2009 04:24 Edited at: 16th Jun 2009 04:25
Sorry, I thought I was in a different post.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "to push it to exhaustion would take a colossal effort"

Wow, I must be an amazing coder then. I came up with this in like 5 seconds!

Great Quote:
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2009 14:44
@BN2
Quote: "(or extremely bad code )"

I thought of people like you

stringy
Years of Service
User Offline
haha theres always a few that will probs be my sort of code for a while
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 02:13
Oh and another piece of good advice is "if it feels like you're doing something the long way, you probably are."
Try not to write the same line twice, or very similar lines, that's what for loops are for loops are for loops are for next next next next END aaah phew

Bluestar4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 05:44
Its actually easier to do a 3d game with dbc than a 2d game, but in answer to your other questions, dark basic is less a headache for beginners because its less technical than dbp. Unless its a massive project, the coding will be the easy part. Doing the modeling , and the artwork will consume about 50-80% of a projects time (depending on how effiecient you are in this field ofcourse). As for
making models , if you cant find I free one that fits your needs then I suggest getting 3dcanvas pro. It works very nicely with dbc and has an extensive help file that will have you making models in no time.
last but not least, listen carefully to what obesse87 said
Quote: "if it feels like you're doing something the long way, you probably are"

best of luck,

bluestar4~
---Missle Might - Hero Battles - Zillipede --- which do you like the best ?
That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 06:02
i try to avoid flat out calling people liars but it just has to be said, bluestar you are wrong!

2d games are way simpler on the brain and especially for newcomers are easier to wrap their head around, i will say this again, the order you should learn to program is:

text games (will help get basic stuff down)
2d games (will allow more advanced stuff to be introduced)
3d games (overly complicated but once you understand them the knowledge opens WORLDS of possibilities)

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Not necessarily smart guy. A 3d program is MUCH easier to get off the ground. Completion, though, is a little more difficult.

Think about it, after set up (which is essentially the same) what do you do next? You move the character, this can be done using a:

Sprite 1,x-xmove,y-ymove,1

Or
Move Object 1,step

No math involved

Then, your next step is to turn the object:

Write a crazy function or

Turn object left/right

So 3d is easier to make, but it also requires more experience to finish (collision, and the math becomes exponentially more complex when you add a 3rd dimension)

Great Quote:
That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 07:14
ok i get you bn2, sorry i kinda snapped at you bluestar

come to think of it, one of my first game was 3d, it was quite simple just move a cube forward and backward based on upkey or downkey, then check for collision on objects, but it was 3d

ok so 3d can be simpler and fun but i stand by what i said, stick with text games first (unless you are just fooling aroung with 3d) then go to 2d and eventually 3d

Still Remains
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Then, your next step is to turn the object:

Write a crazy function or

Turn object left/right
"

So wait there's really a cmd Turn Object left or write? it took me like 3 hours to figure out how to turn and used angle#=wrapvalue(angle#+5) or - 5...I feel stupid now
Bluestar4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 09:43
@That1Smart Guy
We all have hard days sometimes and I'm sure this was one of them for you.
back on topic now, B2 is 100% right on target about what I meant , but to be more speciffic writing 2d games in dbc isn't too peachy for beginers as there are many things you simply have to know how to code yourself.
This will require intense research for hours (or days) for the beginner and may even result in hairloss or temperary baldness from continual pulling.

However, with 3d, there is an infinite array of commands already
written and at your disposal leaving you with the easy part of typing them in.

One thing I did forget to mention about coding though, Even though it will generally be quite small you should try not to code things when your tired as that can cause unexpected results the next day

bluestar4~
---Missle Might - Hero Battles - Zillipede --- which do you like the best ?
That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 18:46
.........that post was supposed to be on-topic?

watevr he's right though that 3d is much simpler to use that 2d but if you revisit it later after you have used 2d for a while then you will find many more possibilities have opened for 3d programming

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 09:16:51
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 09:16:51