Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Media question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not really sure if this would be a good place to put this post, but what is the easiest way to make custom media, by creating it in the game or by using some external editor. If the external editor is the way to go then which editor that is free is the best.
That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2009 07:29
media is much too broad a term, narrow it down

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who dont
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 16th Jun 2009 07:57
You only create media in the program if it serves a purpose for creating it in the program. Like the program I'm working on now I create all the menus with line statements to allow the user to change the colors of the entire program at will. If it's just to create a sprite that's going to be the same every time it needs to be just loaded... not created on the fly. I have no idea what free drawing programs are out there.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I have no idea what free drawing programs are out there"

paint or you could try making one in dbc!

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
pictionaryjr
Years of Service
User Offline
@SmartGuy
I'm talking more like creating 2d characters and textures.
That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2009 18:59
creating textures for a special 3d model - i found a good free program called tattoo

2d characters - the best program i found i think was 3d canvas pro, ask ashingda i believe its what he's using to create the characters in the DarkNoobs project, that program allows you to make a 3d object then capture images of it in different poses then it outputs a png of all the frames

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who dont
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 08:38
Quote: "paint "

Oh duh (smacks head). I always forget about that one since I delete the link immediately after a fresh install of Windows.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "the best program i found i think was 3d canvas pro"

That would probably be overkill, unless you want to learn 3d modeling. Believe it or not, paint is a good generic imaging program. True you don't get all the cool features of photoshop or others, but it can get game media thrown together quickly enough.

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 17:46
i agree that paint is rather useful when you need a quick image thrown together, but if you really want good 2d anims then making the 3d model yourself and then animating it is the best and maybe easiest (unless you make a complex model) way to to so

Robert The Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 18:35
Actually, I always found VanSeam to be a cracking good texture editor (not that I'm much of an artist)

"I wish I was a spaceman, the fastest guy alive. I'd fly you round the universe, in Fireball XL5..."
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 00:54
Try Gimp for 2d art/media.
Google "Gimp" and you should find it.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too big.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 10:33:38
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 10:33:38