Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Bug Reports / DBP u7.4b7, u7.3, 7.1, 6.9, 5.4 fullscreen exclusive mode and anti alias

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 19:01 Edited at: 18th Jun 2009 19:04
This is possibly a hardware specific bug that causes the screen to only show all black when anti alias setting 4x is forced on, however it may be all hardware(gfx cards). The issue appears only to show in 32 bit colour when running in fullscreen exclusive mode. The hardware I tested on was an 8800gt and an 8800gtx(seperate machines). Any dbp executable running with these settings gives the black screen wether it be a 2d or 3d program. The issue strangely does not occur for anti alias settings 2x, 8x,8xQ, 16x, 16xQ. Unfortunately circumstances prevent me from doing any further tests on those machines and it may be sometime before I have access to any machine. For this reason I did not get to test u7.4 or any others not mentioned in the title. There are some details about this post mentioned in the Learning to write shaders thread.

Edit: I would like to suggest that perhaps anyone who has 2 minutes and no matter what gfx card they have, tries this and reports back to say if they did or didn`t experience this issue and what card they have(also, if you have an nvidia mobo report this too) - I would be greatfull, thanks.
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2009 18:00
My friend let me test 7.4 today on his machine. This appears to be fixed in 7.4.
Mini Malistix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2009 21:12 Edited at: 19th Jun 2009 21:14
James H, are you sure you set the antialias on? I get a black screen with 4xAA on a Geforce 8600.

EDIT:

using Update 7.4 beta7c
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2009 13:45
Yes I`m sure(same beta), however, the next time I get chance I will double check for you. I am unsure when I will get chance to do so
Mini Malistix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2009 14:21 Edited at: 20th Jun 2009 14:22
Ah, ok. Later I can check it on a newer GPU and will post the result here. Personally this is not a problem, i ever use "windowed fullscreen".. Don't know why
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 18:19
Quote: "Yes I`m sure"
You are right - in my haste I forgot to apply the 4x setting after changing it, my apologies, won`t happen again.

Could a Moderator please change the title to include 7.4 and maybe remove the "fixed" tag?

I should have access to an old machine with an ATI x1300 pro card
in a few days so will test that to.

Quote: "Personally this is not a problem, i ever use "windowed fullscreen".. Don't know why"

Fullscreen exclusive does seem to give much better results where text is concerned or anything graphical looks better IMO - and if you run anything like nvmonitor on your desktop or windows sidebar(set to always draw on top of other windows), it prevents a massive loss of frame rate as it always takes full control of the screen. However, I did notice a performance loss on a couple of much older machines I had, but I forget what cards they had. Might be an asus 5700 ultra or an radeon 9600xt in one and a geforce 2 in the other.
Mini Malistix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 13:08
Sorry, later becomes laterlater

So, Update 7_4 beta 7c

Fullscreen exclusive 800x600x24/32, can't see 3D objects or D3D-Text. Only the plain-objects i have missed before, are visible.
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2009 16:53
I have a bsod issue with my amd/ati machine setup along with driver issues for the old ati card - I will need the control panel version of catalyst drivers as opposed to the CCC(catalyst control center) version of drivers which requires internet connection to access graphical settings - AMD think its clever to drop support for previous drivers and supply legacy drivers only via the CCC. The end result being no additional control over any graphical settings for me for now. I have the older control panel and driver on a disk but have close to 1000 old, unlabelled disks to search through so it may take a while, plus I`m using vista and an nforce2 mobo which further compounds the problem as the only nforce2 mobo drivers in existence are for XP only(which I don`t have). It could be a while longer if the bsods are down to hardware as it could be I need to get a new psu or ram, not too sure right now though.

Does anyone have an ATI card they can test for this bug on? It would be very helpfull and quicker than waiting for me to get my older machine setup right(I only get 15 minutes per day - monday to friday on the internet and due to my current living situation it is proving rather difficult as I have to walk more than 6 miles a day to get access to a dx10 machine)

Cheers, James
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2012 02:41
um sorry to bring up old news but a recent post in dbp board tricked me into revisiting this and MAY have made some progression in narrowing this down, apologies for not sticking with this - my lifes been a bit of a drama these recent years so I completely forgot as I havent been using dbp much until recently
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=194537&b=1
first off I now use U7.5 and the code I used previously(which for some odd reason I never posted up) no longer creates the bug unless I ensure vsync is off in display mode command which also appears to overide graphics card control panel setting of force vsync on
the code

secondly I cannot recreate the bug/issue unless my graphics control panel software is set to 4x AA as this is only sample that creates the issue, also when using the AA option in the panel while only using 4x AA "override application" is the only time the bug occurs
thirdly the bug isnt limited to fullscreen mode it will occur in window mode but not with the above code or just any project - look at the post I made in the link above, download resourcefuls project and alter it to what I posted on that thread - the application crashes rather than getting a black screen, yet while running the code I provided in this post in window mode, the application appears to run normal!!

With above settings and using "set display mode 1024,768,32,0,0,0" in the code above, while in fullscreen the app will fail in the same manner as I have just mentioned, however if the multisample value is anything other than zero it runs fine
Now in resourcefuls project with the code I posted on the same thread, it doesnt appear to matter what parameters I put in the display command vsync or aa, it will crash in window mode, however if I rem out the paste image command in the main loop, it doesnt crash and the black screen is with us once again lol
also worthy of note is the fact that with resourcefuls project the results occurring in window mode can be reproduced exactly the same in fullscreen mode too - the only difference between the two lots of code is a camera shader that automatically assigns the image number which is then taken control of by a command in the main loop

to sum up its late, Im tired, I dont know if this affects just a few of us or many of us but I do think it warrants further investigation as it breaks pretty much any project I am using camera shaders in that Ive tested, i have yet to test on "no shader" projects which I beleive MAY run ok if I use all parameters in display command with multisample of 1, (not gonna test tonight though), oh one last thing my setup is the same as when I first made this thread except the card is now a 9600gt, so this issue is on two of my nvid cards..

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 01:26:25
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 01:26:25