Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / db on vista

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
i have just bought a new pc today
and have downloaded db but it will not work

please could someone help

thanks
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2009 21:49
Please give us some more information. What doesn't work? Give some computer specs. What errors do you get? Where did you download it to? What version of DB is it? Is it even DBC, or DBP?

TheComet

Make the path of your enemies easier with Waypoint Pro!
bobbyd
Years of Service
User Offline
ive installed db but when i click on the launch icon it says
d3drm.dll was not found

specs
vista basic
amd athlon 64 x2 2ghz
4gb ram
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2009 23:06
I have attached the dll on my post, just click the red download button on the bottom right of my post.

Then place it in c:\windows\system folder (it may be system32, try both and see which works) and then it will work.

TheComet

Make the path of your enemies easier with Waypoint Pro!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
and please look at the stickys at the top of the board

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=147790&b=10

Enjoy your day.
Robert The Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 14:03
Ah yes, it's a very useful guide, though I say so myself

Actually, you could just place the d3drm.dll in with the db.exe
("C:/Program Files/Dark Basic Software/DarkBasic" if you used the default install path).

Something to remember when using DBC is that Vista does not have this dll, so you'll have to distribute it with any program you create to ensure that others can run it. Simply place the dll in the same folder as your exe file, and it will run fine - there'll be no need to fiddle around with files in yiour Windows folder (which is risky anyway).

"I wish I was a spaceman, the fastest guy alive. I'd fly you round the universe, in Fireball XL5..."
arbiter chewbacca hybrid
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, when I upgraded to vista from XP it said the same thing and guess what I did I googled d3drm.dll download found a site and downloaded but that was suprising because you would think if the computer previously had the dll. that when you get a new OS it would delete it becuase I could see that on a comp that never had XP in the first place. But, one that had it a month ago and upgraded to vista no no and by the way I have no acsess to a computer with DB beacuse i'm at my aunt's in trinidad. So I haven't been coding since wendsday.

Vista is a paradox created by Bill Gates to force the noble pc gamers of america to console I am here to change that. [link]www.kdlproductions.webs.com[link]
Robert The Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 11:55
I don't know much about installing operating systems, but I think it's a pretty safe bet to say that installing Vista will first remove all of XP and then put Vista on.

Given that Vista was so totally different to XP, I think that more would be needed than just adding in extra files and updating stuff. Hence, since vista doesn't need the dll, it deletes it with the uninstall of XP and doesn't bother to put it back on.

I grant you that it's stupid, but most games don't need it nowadays. It's just that there are a few ,major programming languages around that just can't quite let go of the good old-fashioned technology...

Oh and shouldn't your signature be this?
[link]www.kdlproductions.webs.com[\link] (I've deliberately done the wrong slash)

"I wish I was a spaceman, the fastest guy alive. I'd fly you round the universe, in Fireball XL5..."
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "upgraded to vista from XP"

Round here we call that a downgrade, but lets not get TOO into that here.

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
Robert The Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 12:12
So I'm not the only one who doesn't like Vista?

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Trust me, you are the FARTHEST from alone on that one

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
Hangar18
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 06:31 Edited at: 24th Jun 2009 06:36
@BN2 - that was exactly the same comment I was going to make. Vista is a piece of poo as far as I can see. It looks like I'm going to have to either completely redo my 2D text because Vista is SO SLOW with 2D text operations, or (and I'm fast leaning towards this approach) just state that XP or Win 7 is a minimum requirement to play the game.

@Arbiter Chewbacca Hybrid: I'm no expert on operating systems but from what I gather, you might find the best outcome for you is to either install XP (at least your system will run 30% faster than vista and wihout half the bugs), or check out the beta version of windows 7 which is due to be released later in the year.

I suspect in times to come that Vista will only be remembered as a part of a famous Schwarzenegger statement in the terminater series...
Robert The Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2009 20:47 Edited at: 24th Jun 2009 20:49
Quote: "you might find the best outcome for you is to either install XP (at least your system will run 30% faster than vista and wihout half the bugs"

I thought that if you put XP on a computer designed for Vista, XP wouldn't work as well as it perhaps could - I've had a few people tell me (none here) that the hardware is designed specifically for a particular OS.

Quote: "Vista is a piece of poo as far as I can see"

Erm.. I must say I agree. At risk of going really off-topic, I'll say that I've seen Vista in action and 30 seconds later I'd been convinced to hang on to XP until my current computer rusts away!

[Off Topic]
(I hate Office 2007 as well, mostly because whenever I used it, I'd make a new document then panic because I couldn't see the menu "File: Save As". Given that that menu button has been standard for about the last 14 years, I don't think it was a good idea to change it!)
[/Off Topic]

Hangar18
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 09:16 Edited at: 25th Jun 2009 09:17
Quote: "I thought that if you put XP on a computer designed for Vista, XP wouldn't work as well as it perhaps could - I've had a few people tell me (none here) that the hardware is designed specifically for a particular OS."

I'm no expert but I wouldnt have thought this was the case. At risk of being facetious, I would argue that whatever decrease in performance you get from installing XP on a system designed for Vista, you might more than make up for by having XP as the OS instead of Vista.

Also, when I rang Dell to put together a system for me based on XP, never did it come up in the conversation that using this piece of hardware was better suited to Vista. And it certainly didnt appear to be down to a lack of knowledge. They understood precisely at the outset why I wanted XP and displayed a strong knowledge of the various hardware possibilities. Needless to say I've very pleased with both the laptop and desktop systems they built for me.

However, like Robert, I am not best pleased with the dud Windows 2007 they sold me. I use excel to death at work (and know it virtually inside and out) and having stupidly thought that XL 2007 would be a better version of 97, I didnt bat an eyelid when they offered it to me. Oh how regrettable that decision has turned out to be.

Microsoft, really, what were you thinking????
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
At the risk of being...uhhhh...can't think of any words to keep the trend going on,

Here you guys go, WINDOWS 7 RELEASE CANDIDATE DOWNLOAD LINK!

Note: Starting march, it will auto-shut down every 2 hours. It officially expires in June or July of next year.

Still, A year without vista is worth it. Oh and it DOES require a clean install, so back up your stuff first.

Great Quote:
arbiter chewbacca hybrid
Years of Service
User Offline
PC world says 7 is not much better than XP. But apparently if you have a mac and than put vista on it using bootcamp it works fine.

Vista is a paradox created by Bill Gates to force the noble pc gamers of america to console I am here to change that. [link]www.kdlproductions.webs.com[link]
That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2009 18:35
.......a mac with MS software on it isnt a mac anymore, the only difference between windows and macs is the OS, take that away and theres no difference

also there was nothing wrong with XP, its vista that everyone complains about, so being better than XP (even only slightly) its still good

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 09:47:40
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 09:47:40