Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / Video Memory Monitor Dll

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi folks,

I have created a .dll that will allow you to determine the total and free amounts of video memory and system memory available. The video memory is dedicated GPU memory and the system memory is part of the main RAM that has been allocated for graphical purposes. The .NET Framework is needed to use the dll and some folks may encounter some issues using this dll under Vista, as that particular OS manages memory in a different way to XP.

The .zip file that accompanies this post includes the dll, a readme file with information on the dll and an example project that uses it. At this time, you will need to load the dll via the "Load DLL()" command, and call its functions via the "Call DLL()" command, as I have been unable to work out at present how to append a string table to the existing .res file that comes with the dll.

Although I have the_winch's dll_tool, it does not work with the most recent version of the .NET Framework, so I have had to create my own converter from scratch in VB using the_winch's C# source and web references as a guide. I hope I haven't done anything improper by doing that (always wary of such things).

I'm still a bit of a novice when it comes to dll creation, so I might not be able to answer complex questions on inner dll workings, but I'll do my best to answer any queries folks may have.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 18:15
superb well done , it seems to report the correct values ,reason i say this is because i tried to do the same a year back but i could never get it to report the true values through directx .

anyway well done again and it works fine on vista ultimate ..

chunks

nvidia geforce 9500gt + amd athlon 64
windows xp pro.
Phjon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 18:33 Edited at: 25th Jun 2009 18:34
Thanks chunks chunks!

I was inspired to try and find a way of retrieving these values about 4 years ago by SFSW (also known as Vice) who was trying to find an alternative to the very slow SYSTEM DMEM AVAILABLE() command in DBPro. It's taken me all this time to come up with this solution and implement it; documentation on this is rather scarce or difficult to understand and implement.

Good news that it works on Vista Ultimate.
HavokDelta6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2009 18:32
any way you could add processer status to it, with multicore support?

GCSE results:
2 a's 3 b's AND
5 (FIVE) a*'s ^_^

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 01:39:31
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 01:39:31