Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / voice controlled game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
is it possible
to make a voice controlled game in db
if so how

thanks
That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 18:41
probably possible with an external mic, but I couldnt tell you how

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who dont
NanoGamez guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 19:31
You'd need to take an input from a microphone and run some kind of algorithm that searches for speech patterns in sound. You'd need some kind of noise reduction system and a way of distinguishing between the user's voice and background noise. You'd also need to take into account people's different accents and different ways of saying things. As well as speech detection you'd need a way of deciphering what is said and turning it into commands. All this will need to be done in real time.

I don't even know whether you can access a microphone in DBC. All this will be very complicated but if you still feel up to it, I'd search online for "voice control" or "voice recognition" or something similar to see what other people have done.

Good Luck!

"I trust you have prepared new insults for today" - Spock, Star Trek
AcP2142
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 06:15
bobbyd... not to disappoint you or anything but making a voice controlled game would be RIDICULOUSLY hard. I admit that I am a noob when it comes to BASIC but this is just water that is too deep for you at the moment. It would be hard for even the best of us on this forum and I thought you were a noob too but I am not sure when you started using DB. Anyway... like NanoGamez guy said you can go ahead and try but be completely prepared for the challenges that you will face. If you do start it because of some dream to do it I am sure you will eventually give up. Hope I didn't offend you at all by my comment but I doubt I did. I wasn't trying to shatter any dreams that you had.

Good luck if you decide to do this at some point.

--
AcP2142

The only thing constant in life is CHANGE.
Robert The Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 17:49
Theoretically it is possible - the DBPro plugin DarkVoices uses the Microsoft Speech Engine SDK 5.1 (or elements of it) to generate lipsync data for an animated head model. Effectively, it uses voice recognition to convert a sound to a string of text.

Now, the challenge is first to find the speech engine (no mean feat, Microsoft pulled it from their site some time ago, but it is still out there I think). Second, you need to learn C++ so you can access the speech libraries. Thirdly, you need to produce a function library (a dll) that DarkBasic can call using "Load DLL". Finally, you need to take care of all those things like "What happens if the speech engine doesn't recognise the words I said properly?"

This is all possible, but I think you'd do better to stick to keyboard mouse and gamepad for input devices. Or you could beg TGC do make a plugin for it and upgrade to DBPro.

(Actually, don't knock that last idea. GreenEar refers to voice recognition on its website, but although I asked about it, it doesn't appear to be in the DBPro build.)

"I wish I was a spaceman, the fastest guy alive. I'd fly you round the universe, in Fireball XL5..."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 10:56:11
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 10:56:11