Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / DarkBASIC Secret Commands

Author
User Banned
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 21:20 Edited at: 28th Jun 2009 00:40
After playing around with Resource Hacker, I managed to retrieve the new command set database from DarkBASIC 1.2. There are many undocumented commands including 3DS2X. See if you can figure out these "secret" commands.

EDIT: Known commands weeded out.
EDIT2: Cleaned up names and new sig.

Permanoobs are awesome.
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 22:14
Not all that secret really...

They've been posted about many, many times over the years though you'd probably have to dig back through a lot of old threads to find anything so it's not surprising many will not have heard about them.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=54767&b=10

Very similar to the 'Make Game' command in DB Pro which is often thought of as a joke, but actually exists!

Barrie

That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 22:16
OMG TDK IS BACK!

listen to me, I sound like an obsessed celebrity fan, lol

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who dont
Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 23:06 Edited at: 27th Jun 2009 23:11
@TDK- Actually, the one you linked to is incomplete or outdated. This one includes all undocumented commands from library v111, not v110, so some of them are new to DarkBASIC 1.2.

EDIT: I hope I didn't come off as rude, now that I see all of the awesome stuff that you did lol.

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 23:21 Edited at: 28th Jun 2009 00:48
That1Smart Guy:

Not really been away - I've still been lurking in the background - just not had the time to post. With a new job taking up most of my time, all I want to do when I get home is sleep!

Quote: "EDIT: I hope I didn't come off as rude"

No - not at all.

My link was just to one of many and the date of the thread was more important than the content. Just to show that we've been talking about those 'secret' commands for many years...

Barrie

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "OMG TDK IS BACK!"

You sound like someone if a movie who just saw some superhero decades after they supposedly died .

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 15:27
TDK!TDK!TDK!TDK!TDK!TDK!

How do i get a Speech engine for the "say Command?"

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too big.CHANGE IT OR DIE!!!!!
Robert The Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 17:25
Yay, TDK's back!!

(Sorry, I've calmed down now. )

@DD
You will already have a number of speech engines already installed with XP (or Vista, or whatever you're using). If you go into Control Panel, there should be a tab for "Speech". I think the defaults are voices called "Michael" and "Michelle", both of which sound dangerously like HAL9000.

Now how this Say command properly works I'm not sure (it's a secret that's been kept for a very long time!) but I imagine it sends a string of text to be spoken by whichever speech engine you've got set in the Control Panel. I'll have to check it out!

"I wish I was a spaceman, the fastest guy alive. I'd fly you round the universe, in Fireball XL5..."
Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 19:59
That's funny, I was going to ask about the "say" command myself. Whenever I try to use it, it says something like "speech engine not found". Maybe some speech library needs to be dropped into the DarkBASIC folder...

Permanoobs are awesome.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 21:31
Can't we look at the string table in the DLL and see what type of parameters the command takes?

[url="http://dbcc.zimnox.com"][/url]
Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 21:54
@Phaelax- Actually, the string table is just another included resource file in DarkBASIC, and I know the parameters. Check the code snippet in the first post.

Permanoobs are awesome.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 04:38
I actually did a double take when I saw TDK there haha
Welcome back, what have you been doing that is more important than the forum?
So you have been lurking in the shadows? and with every "where's TDK?" post you grow stronger, is that how it works?

I've never seen the speech commands before! Are they new to 1.2?

TGC Forum - converting error messages into sarcasm since 2002.
Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 05:18
@OBese- Keep in mind that these are "secret" commands, so there is guarantee they will work. We have SAY, SAY TO SOUND, SAY TO FILE, and SPEECH EXIST(). Any one of them returns an error.

Permanoobs are awesome.
Robert The Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 13:21
Quote: "I've never seen the speech commands before! Are they new to 1.2?"

No, I checked in 1.13 EP, and the commands are there. I think they've always been around, but I rather suspect DirectX has changed a little since DBC was made.

I may be mistaken, but wasn't there something about "DirectSound" being removed from DirectX? Can't track down which version of DX this change was made in, but if the sound technology has been modified, maybe modern computers are unable to access the speech engine any more. In any case, the speech just isn't going to work - I've checked on mine, and I have got speech engines, I just can't call them from DBC.

"I wish I was a spaceman, the fastest guy alive. I'd fly you round the universe, in Fireball XL5..."
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 19:50
TDK!

I've been hoping you would show up again! The last time I saw anything from you was when you were working on that level editor for DBC (which by the way is incredibly awesome!). Welcome back!

Click to go to our website!
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
@Brick Break
Something to consider:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=148795&b=10

@TDK
Quote: "I've still been lurking in the background "

Spooky!

Enjoy your day.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 19:54
Background? You mean the... Dark Side?

Make the path of your enemies easier with Waypoint Pro!
Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 29th Jun 2009 20:11
@Latch- The TGC guys aren't going to care. I could post the whole DarkBASIC source code if I wanted to. Plus, I'm making my own game engine right now that could turn many people away from DarkBASIC entirely. Trust me, if TGC has a problem with it, they'll just tell me.

Permanoobs are awesome.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 13:29:01
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 13:29:01