Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / sparky's - disabling collision of individual limbs

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2009 20:42
Hey everyone!

So, is there a way to disable collision of individual limbs using sparky's dll? Couldn't find anything on the forum about that... I thought of moving the limb way out of sight and updating the object, but I need some limbs to be seen but not have collision.

Thanks in advance,

TheComet

Make the path of your enemies easier with Waypoint Pro!
Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 8th Jul 2009 20:49
The only way that I can think of would be to disattach the limb from the object's hierarchy, but have it still linked to a limb of the object. That way, it's its own object and can have collisions disabled altogether. It would still act as a limb, though. By the way, couldn't you just use box or sphere collision instead? It sounds like you're trying to do this for a humanoid character of some sort, am I right?

Permanoobs are awesome.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2009 21:12
Quote: "It sounds like you're trying to do this for a humanoid character of some sort, am I right?"

Not quite... I have a level using polygon collision, and want the grass plains not to collide with my player, but still be part of the object. So how would I disattach the limb? I don't quite know how because I have never done that.

Thanks, TheComet

Make the path of your enemies easier with Waypoint Pro!
Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 8th Jul 2009 23:00
Actually, I looked in the help section and found there isn't an actual unlink limb command. So, it might look something like this:

Permanoobs are awesome.
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
@TheComet
Or perhaps, since the grass objects are limbs, then you could load or create an additional copies as separate objects. Scale the original grass plane limbs to something ridiculously small, say, .0001,.0001,.0001 or even 0,0,0 if it is allowed without crashing. Using Limb Position x() y and z, position the loaded copy at the scaled down limb's position. Make sure the copy doesn't have collision detection set. You'd have to set the rotation/orientation to the original limb. When you update the main object using the collision commands, there should be a big gap in the triangle soup where you have shrunken the original limb. The chance of scoring a collision hit with the tiny limb is extremely low.

I would've suggested glue object to limb, but the object may inherit the properties of the original limb, in which case you'd have to scale the object up so it is the correct size.

Or, this comes to mind as I am typing, build 2 models, one with the limbs and one without. Setup the one without in sparkys. Then delete it. Now when you are checking for collision, use the deleted object number in sparkys for the collision detection NOT THE ONE WITH THE LIMBS but show the complete model. This should work if the full model doesn't change.

Enjoy your day.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 12:01:28
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 12:01:28