Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Creating an exe while the program is running

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Is it possible to create an executable while the program is running? I can clarify more if you need it.
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2009 04:38
Some more information would be helpful. Can you define what you mean by creating an EXE ?

a) You want to dump/generate some DB source code at runtime (when your program is running) then compile it.

This is possible, but requires the inclusion the Db compiler. Which isn't legal.

However, if you're making a tool for other DB users to use, (such as an IDE) then the user could locate their installed copy of DB and bob's your uncle.

b) You want to write a compiler in Darkbasic and have it generate a window exe from scrtach. Yes, this is possible, but very complex.

etc

pictionaryjr
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright, lol didn't really understand what you meant by the dump/generate part. But what I'm wondering is would I be able to make an exe in DB. Then, the point of the exe I created in the darkbasic editor would to be able to make another exe.
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2009 05:32
pictionaryjr
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm honestly not sure, I was looking at that realm crafter program and thought about how their program makes games and I was wondering if It would be possible to create an exe that creates other exes kind of like their thing.
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2009 06:26
You don't need to create exe's to build such a tool. These projects are conceptually broken into two halves. The front end (visual editing program) and runtime program.

The front end would let the user import/create position/edit content. This information is then saved to a file (or set of tiles) that describe this game world. So this file needs to hold all the info about the world / players / characters/interactions etc..

The Runtime (the program that replays the game) is passed the description file for the game/world it's going to play.

pictionaryjr
Years of Service
User Offline
So basically, you have a program that would create and edit what you are working with and then send that information to another program that would read the information and run it.
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
pictionaryjr
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Kevin, That helped a lot, now I just have to expand on the idea and see what I can do

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 12:51:28
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 12:51:28