Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / DB...Undecided

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello, I have read some of the posts on the forums and it sounds like there are a lot of intelligent folks on her so who better to ask a question about DB and C++. I am in college and have no prior experience in programming. I will be taking my first programming classes in the fall and so I thought I would try and get a head start. I originally heard that the Game Programming starter kits were good and was going to get 6.0 untill I found out that it used DarkBASIC SE and, after some inquiry, decided that I would be better off just getting DarkBASIC itself. I also want to develop a good C++ knowledge so I will probably get GPSK 5.0 for an intro to that. My question is, since I have no prior coding experience, whether I should get DB or DBPro and, as far as C++ goes, if there is something better than the game programming starter kits (which there probably is) for someone with no C++ experience. Also, I have read several reviews, one saying that DB is good but does not feature Windows editing and another that said that it did not have a 3D modelling program. What are the importance of these things and should I be concerned about them at all? Thanks a lot.
TGWDNGHN
Years of Service
User Offline
Tip: Get DBP, I'ma gonna get the upgrade
Tip: Learn and Master DBP, Then learn and Master C++
Tip: Since C++ is obviously better than DBP you can give them equal power...write DLLs in C++ and use them in DBP
kornkid606
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks a lot. I also contacted feedback and they gave me the same advice (minus the C++ tips). Your info really helps a bunch. I'll worry about C++ software later.

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2002 23:53
Cant really model 3d in Dark Basic. Youd have to get a separate program (Milkshape, Anim8or, 3dsmax, Lightwave just to name a few) because you cant model in DB. Dark Matter does come with some models and animations though- you have to buy it separatly.
Later
RPGgamer

Final Fantasy, best series ever made.
TGWDNGHN
Years of Service
User Offline
so? your point is?

download a free model maker thingy such as Doga L1

OR
My Favorite Option like I did

BUY DarkMATTER! I RECOMMEND IT!

Login to post a reply