Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / DarkBASIC Cursor Patch

Author
User Banned
Posted: 13th Jul 2009 01:50 Edited at: 14th Jul 2009 00:23
I just thought I'd make a patch to correct the cursors in DB to the default windows cursors. It affects both your cursor in the editor and the cursor you see in your games. Make sure you backup your original DB.exe just in case.

EDIT: Changed it to a tutorial, rather than a patch. The download can get you started.

WINNER list:
Latch, Lee Bamber, TDK
Thanks for the help!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2009 03:15
Quote: "Make sure you backup your original DB.exe just in case"

Wtf?! What can it Do?!?!?

hmmm.....Before i download......
Lol, can you use this to change teh cursor to any one u desire, or...?

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too big.CHANGE IT OR DIE!!!!!
Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 13th Jul 2009 03:36
@DD- I just said to back up the original file so if you mess something up I'm immune lol. Um, it doesn't let you change the cursor to any one you want, it just replaces the original cursors with your normal Windows cursors, so it looks more professional.

WINNER list:
Latch, Lee Bamber, TDK
Thanks for the help!
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2009 03:55
oh. that cool. downloading......

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too big.CHANGE IT OR DIE!!!!!
Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2009 04:31
Isn't this the same reason patch 1.2 can only be downloaded if you prove you own it? If a trial user uses this, wouldn't it just activate it for them free?

Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 13th Jul 2009 04:39 Edited at: 13th Jul 2009 04:40
Quote: "patch 1.2 can only be downloaded if you prove you own it"

I never heard that.
Quote: "If a trial user uses this, wouldn't it just activate it for them free?"

I don't think so. If you're using the trial version and apply this patch, it will still be in trial mode. Sure, you'll have the new cursors, but it won't magically give you a full copy of DarkBASIC.

WINNER list:
Latch, Lee Bamber, TDK
Thanks for the help!
Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2009 05:32
I think it does.

You used to be able to download patch 1.2 and copy the .exe file and replace it with the old one, and it will patch it.

Well, people did that to activate the trial version, and that is what this is doing.

Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 13th Jul 2009 05:59 Edited at: 13th Jul 2009 06:00
Maindric, do you have something against this patch? This is modified from DarkBASIC 1.21, the most current update, so whatever they used to be able to do, they can't anymore or with this patch.

WINNER list:
Latch, Lee Bamber, TDK
Thanks for the help!
Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2009 08:54
I have nothing against it, I honestly like it. I am just bringing it to your attention that it should not be here, instead, I would suggest telling people HOW to do it. If you do it this way, you are pretty much giving it away free, which I doubt TGC would like.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "would suggest telling people HOW to do it"

Or write a program that does it for people. I do know that simply copying the executable and the system files over will work, no install necessary. From what I hear, it does seem to be a reasonable assumption that this COULD unlock a trial.

be safe, download the trial on a pc and then put in your new exe and see what happens.

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2009 15:14
Quote: "would suggest telling people HOW to do it."

Sounds like somebody wants info.

Yeah, i dont think u gotta prove you own Db to get patch 1.2. i didnt. but..........maybe i was lucky.

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
@Brick Break
Originally, TGC removed patch 1.2 because, as was stated earlier, it allowed users of the trial version to upgrade to a full version without paying (unitentially). And there is a clause:

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION
This program is protected by copyright law and international treaties.
Unauthorised reproduction or distribution of this program, or any portion of it, may result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law. All rights reserved.

I'm not the DB police, so you can do what you want, but you may want to be careful.

And it's possible to change the cursos and such with DBC internal command and/or with Win api calls that don't require the download, or the overhead of an entire exe - not to say that your efforts are without merit - you may be making things more difficult on yourself.

Enjoy your day.
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2009 16:08
Quote: "I'm not the DB police"

Lol....Just an expert, not the athority,eh?

Robert The Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2009 18:27 Edited at: 13th Jul 2009 18:29
Not only that, I'm sure there's something in the license agreement that says you must not modify the DB exe in any way (might only be if you try and pass it off on your own, but even so). I think you're walking on thin ice here, a far better thing would have been to tell people how to modify the exe for themselves.

Personally, I'd use ResHacker to change the cursor when you've finished your program. Alternatively, you could just call "Hide Mouse" and then each program loop (just before sync) you call "Paste image CursorImg, MouseX(), MouseY(), 1". I've got an image somewhere for the cursor...

Edit: Found that image. It's attached now, sorry it's a bmp but it's only small!

"I wish I was a spaceman, the fastest guy alive. I'd fly you round the universe, in Fireball XL5..."

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 14th Jul 2009 00:27 Edited at: 14th Jul 2009 00:27
Alright, everyone. Due to some requests, I have replaced the original patch with a downloadable tutorial. I'm sure you would all appreciate this, as before I never said how I did it. Have fun! The new cursors are included. Download updated in the first post.

WINNER list:
Latch, Lee Bamber, TDK
Thanks for the help!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 11:15:37
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 11:15:37