Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Space Trading 2D/3D - Single Player

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2009 03:40 Edited at: 15th Dec 2009 12:05
Well, I've been working on a tutorial while trying to clone starport, but the project seems to be taking off, and I'm about to make some significant improvements.
UPDATED SCREEN SHOTS! TITLE SCREEN AND DURING SPACE TRAVEL!

Please let me know what you think, any ideas, comments, etc will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to everyone out there,

Jeff C

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2009 04:12
Looking nice, you should add some sort of dust that flies by to reinforce the sense of movement. Also maybe the planets should rotate slower to avoid looking too 2-dimensional?

OceanJeff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2009 23:55
Ok, I've added some floating objects in the background...I also added a very cheesy thrust graphic!! LOL

Of course, I added a simple full screen graphic for landing on the planets, but that will be replaced with another project that I am working on. Managing resources and buildings on the planets. I also plan to change the sector generation map, layout of the sectors, etc.

All in the coming weeks and months ahead. Anyways, let me know how I am doing.

It's also a larger file because of some more graphics I added to give the planets some variety and spice of life! LOL

later all,

jeff c

Attachments

puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool! I've always liked top down space shooters. One thing I think you really need is stars that scroll in the background though.
OceanJeff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2009 01:34
Did a lot of updates, still don't have internet access at home, but I just recently bought a new computer, and Dark GDK and Visual C++ was the first thing I installed...

Let me know what you think, plus I have a question:

When you fly around and fly over a planet, and then hit HOME, it "Lands" on the planet, but I've got some variables on the screen for debugging, one of the other planets goes haywire...it disappears, and the variables get overritten...this is my current bug, and can't figure it out.

I have a work around planned in the near future anyways, deleting the sector and loading each planet individually when you land...and then deleting the planet, and re-loading the sector when you leave...so anyways...I'd still like to know why this bug is there...

Otherwise enjoy, I will be adding to the tutorial on the other thread within a few days, maybe a week.

Sincerely,

Jeff Cummings

Attachments

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2009 09:06 Edited at: 5th Dec 2009 09:10
that looks nice

UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
That looks cool.

"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road."
OceanJeff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2009 04:56
Thanks guys! The next step is to make some 3D stuff, the title screen has two planets in 3D, the callisto planet (moon, whatever) and the other Red planet...or is it also a moon?

I think the ship is the coolest, I borrowed it from Andre LaMothe - author of Windows Game Programming TRicks of the Gurus...very good book.

And the stars are an invention of my own, but it uses too many sprites to make that effect, I am going to try something else to make that effect, but it will probably stay for a while.

I am currently learning Blender at home, from misc tutorials, in an effort to add some neat 3D objects to my "game to be".

Feel free to borrow/use any of the graphics, code, etc.

More to come soon,

Jeff Cummings
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
OceanJeff the DBP tut. section has some nice star effects you could use. No sprites so it will run pretty fast.

"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road."
OceanJeff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2009 02:47
Here's another update, with a press SPACE to continue... then it displays a little loading... and dbBox on the screen. Kind of like a progress bar in windows.

later,

jeff c

Attachments

UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
I never saw the loading screen thingy your talking about however if i hit the space bar while flying i stop instantly.

OceanJeff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2009 02:07
I know I need to put in instructions. But I included on the original first post here the start up title screen. If you can't see it, I'm sorry, it might be your graphics configuration, it is currently the only part of my game that activates 3D graphics in Dark GDK, maybe that's why...

let me know.

jeff c
puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
Just played it...a lot better than the one I played a while ago (by you I think).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 14:01:09
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 14:01:09