Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Compressing AVI Files for DarkBASIC

Author
User Banned
Posted: 19th Jul 2009 09:23
Now, this is either going to be one of those threads where a bunch of people have a bunch of equally non-working solutions, or it will be one where Latch comes in and saves the day with the magical information I'm looking for. I know that DarkBASIC only has native support for AVI video, which is what I aim for. I also know that Windows Movie Maker exports mammoth AVI files for only seconds of film. However, I've played around with a YouTube-AVI downloader, and found that the file size for a 10 minute Michael Jackson video (HD mind you) is only 26.5 megabytes! I've been hit by a smooth compressor! So, what I want to know is this:
How might I compress pre-edited AVI files on my HDD into much more reasonable sizes?

WINNER list:
Latch, Lee Bamber, TDK
Thanks for the help!
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2009 11:24 Edited at: 19th Jul 2009 13:14
Windows Movie maker should export to wmv too. I made a 20 minute video and it was 6 MB in size. You can also look at a free converting program on the internet.

Or you can download Itunes or psp video converter to convert your videos. I see that creative ZEN media converter also has a function like that, but you'll have to google it.

TheComet

Make the path of your enemies easier with Waypoint Pro!
Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 20th Jul 2009 21:48
Sorry to bump this, I wasn't online at all yesterday. Um- does DarkBASIC support WMV?

WINNER list:
Latch, Lee Bamber, TDK
Thanks for the help!
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2009 22:04
Yes, it does.

Make the path of your enemies easier with Waypoint Pro!
Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 20th Jul 2009 22:06 Edited at: 20th Jul 2009 22:08
Sahweeeeeeet!!!!!! No way! Really? Cool! I can add cinematics to my games now! Yes! This is awesome!

EDIT: Sig'd!

WINNER list:
Latch, Lee Bamber, TDK, TheComet
Thanks for the help!
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Just some additional info, I used to use mencoder/mplayer and ffmpeg for Linux to do audio and video compression, conversion etc. There are ports for windows and they are open source. A little bit tricky if you are not used to the command line but extremely powerful and versatile.

Here's a quick link that includes a description of video compression using mencoder - there are tons but I just grabbed this one at random:

http://www.nexuizninjaz.com/forum/Thread-How-to-Compress-Your-Videos.html

Enjoy your day.
Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Jul 2009 00:15
I'm very good with command-line stuff. I could write my own front-end if you want. What main program can compress video given specific settings, that is designed for the codecs that everybody has?

WINNER list:
Latch, Lee Bamber, TDK, TheComet
Thanks for the help!
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2009 00:34 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2009 00:37
mencoder. It converts the video to formats that are playable across multiple platforms using multiple codecs. There's probably a front end already written for it - at least there are several for it's playing component: mplayer. Taking on writing a front end for mencoder would be a challenge. There are hundreds of switches and combinations of switches.

Take a look at the man page for mplayer/mencoder (the program has 2 parts and many of the switches are shared between the two)

mplayer man

Even though it reads as being for linux, there is a Windows port. The program is extremely powerful and you can pretty much do anything you might ever want to do with AV media.

Enjoy your day.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 07:18:32
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 07:18:32