Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / | Call of the Dragon | - Full Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2009 20:25 Edited at: 19th Jul 2009 20:37
Good day everyone,

I would like to announce that we've uploaded the full game of Call of the Dragon on our website for free download. Some of you might remember the game; we submited it for the last retro remakes Competition.

Call of the Dragon is a straight-up brawler with some innovative twists and it should appeal to fans of Bruce Lee and the old-school beat 'em' up genre.

For more information on the game please visit the official website.

Scroll to the bottom of the page for the link to download the full game. Or if you would prefer to skip the info and get down to the brawling, click here.

The download is a 73.1MB zipped file. Simply extract the contents of the file into any directory and run the MNU.exe file to play the game. Refer to the manual.doc document for more information on how to play.

We hope you enjoy playing the game as much as we enjoyed making it!

Thanks & Best Regards,

Samuel Boham

Attachments

Login to view attachments
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2009 12:21 Edited at: 21st Jul 2009 01:43
Looks great!

Downloading now!!!

EDIT- I get a black screen for a few seconds then nothing! No errors or anything (MNU.exe)

load_log attached

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2009 04:53 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2009 04:54
I'm addicted . Awesome, simply amazing. Very difficult though...guess I need practice .

Diggsey: I have a spine and memory, but one memorable guy says he hates me. What am I?
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2009 09:23
Quote: "Very difficult though..."

agreed. i finally beat the first stage using plenty of "life"!

hexGEAR, good stuff! beyond the gameplay, which is quite fun (tho a little difficult atm), the kung fu theater, cut scenes, nifty menu, music & sfx are all details that make this an very nice dbpro game and one i will definitely enjoy finishing some day.

there were a few snags here and there, like killing everyone and never receiving a "GO" prompt once or twice, but overall good fun. i appreciate all the hard work you guys put into this; it shows.

question: how do i change clothes? i tried the up/down keys but nothing changed. do i have to earn/unlock outfits?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2009 10:40
Got it working on another PC...GREAT!!

Excellent Retro style and very clever menu etc. as mentioned above.

I need to get it working on my home PC!
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2009 15:02 Edited at: 24th Jul 2009 15:04
Thank you all for the comments, they're much appreciated.

@baxslash: I went through the logs, everything loads fine. I can't really say what the problem is. But i'm glad you had a chance to play it on another machine.

@BMacZero: When we released the demo, a lot of people complained that the game was too easy so we tweaked it up a bit. It gets much harder towards the end. I suggest you take some time out to learn the fight mechanics, you'll find things much easier afterwards.

@Virtual Nomad: You have to complete the game before you can change clothes and play any stage, or fight any boss you want at any time. If you're really desperate i can show you how to unlock this mode.

Regards,

Samuel Boham

DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2009 20:26
This was an excellent game indeed.
I was a big fan of those kung fu games on the nes / snes and this was great fun aswell.
It is definately hard but not so hard that it get's frustrating.
I got to the very last guy in stage one and had him down to about 5% life but then he got me with a punch and drained the last of my life. I'll get him next time!
One thing I never got was how to pick up weapons.
I tried everything I could think of but nothing worked.
Overall, excellent game.
Potassium
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm kind of curious, but what programming language did you use for this? It looks good, I just wanted to know what programming languages and/or libraries did you use.

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 16:50
Quote: "One thing I never got was how to pick up weapons."

@DarkByNight: You can pick up a weapon using the key combination "down+down" in quick succession. However, Lee can only pick up the staff, sticks and nunchucks (Lee is disciplined, he doesn't just use "any" weapon in a fight). You have to use the throwing darts with the key combination "fwd+fwd+s" to disarm an opponent. You can toggle the movelist in-game using F2 and F3.

@Potassium: We used just Dark Basic Pro and the Newton Physics SDK (DBPro wrapper created by forum member Walaber).

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 22:47
This is totally sweet. I'm well impressed. I'd give more useful feedback but it's quite an epic game and i've only played a bit of it so far.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 23:06
May be Wine related issue, but when i start the game and it opens the another exe, it says please run the game using the MNU.exe. I guess Wine passes command line values wrong? Or something like that. Anyways to go around?

feiting shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2009 10:39 Edited at: 29th Jul 2009 10:43
Roxas:
WineX?
Cedega?

Signed
------
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2009 12:56
Normal Wine, WineX aka Cedega sucks imo.

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2009 14:53
@Roxas: The executable names are kind of misleading, to run the game you have to double-click the MNU.exe file and not the COD.exe file. The MNU.exe file will pass command line values to COD.exe to run the game based on the settings you selected in the menu. The application won't allow you to run COD.exe directly, hence the error message.

kosherboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys!
I have Windows Vista and I'm having trouble downloading the full game. Everytime I try, I keep getting the error message, "Windows cannot download file, please pick either find a download program from the internet." Please help me out here as I am a HUGE Bruce Lee fan and I'd love to play this game!
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2009 14:43
@kosherboy: I just had someone running Windows Vista try to download the game and they were successful. Can you generally download files from the internet? I'm thinking it could be related to your browser settings.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2009 16:01
Looks great HexGear, will grab this tonight and have a play - I loved these sorts of games in the arcade, like Vendetta and Final Fight, so I imagine I'll enjoy this.

Kosherboy, try finding the file you are downloading then delete it, this stuff often happens because the download terminates early and leaves a bit of file, so it actually thinks the file is downloaded already. I think it's a good idea to set your downloads to a folder on a secondary hard drive too if possible, if you change the download location for Firefox, it should start a fresh download. The other thing is to always save the file to disk, never open it - because if you open it instead of downloading it can end up going missing once you close your browser. So, go looking in those options and setup a new download location for Firefox, then try downloading again. Once it's downloaded you can simply double click it's icon in the downloads window to open it.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2009 07:46
I've always been a fan of your work HexGear, nice work! Since his was recently featured in the newsletter, I'm going to go ahead and sticky this thread for a few weeks. I think this is an excellent example of what can be done with DBP.

Really top notch stuff. I have enjoyed playing it, and will hope to finish the game this weekend. I might even recommend to others to take a look at your manual, and get a look at the editor that was used to develop your game to give others a good idea of how to develop a toolset.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly Yellow)
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2009 23:32
Thanks Mike, much appreciated.

Thanks also for the comments and I'm glad you enjoyed playing the game. I'm going to have to release a couple of gameplay videos as well because there's a depth to the combat system (detailed in the user manual) that I'm pretty sure a lot of players don't know exists.

Regards,

Samuel Boham

Zergei
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2009 05:49
I can't get it to work. It gets to the menu, but can't go ingame. Fails when it tries to open COD.EXE i guess.

load_log.txt

Further on my stuff at...
TurboSquid.com
The3dStudio.com
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2009 10:45
Looks like it opens up COD.exe but fails while loading up. Does it hang on a black screen? From the looks of the loading log it doesn't even get as far as initializing the loading screen.

Can you please list the specs of your system (OS included). Thanks.

Zergei
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2009 01:43
Sure thing, here goes:

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU
E8400 @3.00GHz
3.00GHz, 2,99 GB RAM

Microsoft Windows XP Profesional Version 2002 Service Pack 3

NVidia GeForce 8600 GT

The screen just flashes, like if trying to open the COD.exe, but then exits to desktop.

Further on my stuff at...
TurboSquid.com
The3dStudio.com
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
nice work dude.. 2002nd dbp programmer.. as expected

People Who play Rakion:
http://gplaces.net/spec/rakion.php
Lonnehart
Years of Service
User Offline
I let an aquaintance of mine on another forum try out this game and he got really critical of it (he gets critical of any game he plays and he thought this game could be a LOT better). I asked him what you could do to improve the game. Here's what he said...

Quote: "Isukun from the Drunkduck Forums said:

Well, for one, the combat needs to be more fluid. Attacks are spaced out too much. If they're really trying to emulate Bruce Lee, there should be more speed to how he fights. I find that most of the enemies can get hits in a lot faster than the player. Plus there is almost no way to counter getting surrounded. The player can perform back attacks, but either their range is exteremely limited andthe enemies don't come close enough for them to work, or they are too slow to be useful. Enemy reaction animation seems a bit on the short side. It almost seems like it takes enemies less time to recover from your hit than it takes for you to recover from your hit. That may just be because the combos are so slow, though. It seems like there is a combo system in place, but the attacks take so long to pull off, enemies can usually recover and hit you out of the next hit in the combo. Either that or they surround you and the guy behin you hits you out of the attack and then they both get to wail on you and you can't really do anything about it. Combos should have less time between the hits, with a delay at the end of the combo, especialy if you want to get the whole Bruce Lee experience. He had a number of shots where he'd do a move or string of attacks and hold the pose at the end while making funny noises. Having some forward momentum during the combos could also help solve the problem of back attacks mid combo. If the character is moving forward to some degree, the enemies have to move back into range to attack. It's not impossible for them to get in a cheap shot, but it would feel less cheap than the current system where they knock you out of an attack as soon as you throw a punch and then gang up on you.

It's hard to tell if ducking actually lets you avoid high hits or not. If it doesn't, it should. Blocking could be a bit more useful. It takes too long to turn around to block hits from the back, but blocking only works in the direction you're facing. Turning around should be quicker and easier. Just pressing in a direction should make the character face in that direction. Hitting in the direction while attacking can still perform a back attack, but the turnarounds are murder in this game, especially since the back attacks are so ineffective. It could also help if the back attacks actually turned your character around to face the enemy, allowing the player to continue a combo. I noticed there are some back attacks that do this, but they usually involve jumping and seem to be almost impossible to pull off.

Jumping could be vastly improved. The character feels a bit floaty and the slower speed of the jump also makes jumping attacks almost completely worthless. I saw no reason to ever jump since it was like inviting enemies to knock you out of whatever you were trying to do.
"

In the beginning there was nothing. There'll be nothing in the end...
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2009 14:45
@Zergei: Sorry for the late response. To be honest i couldn't figure out what the problem was, seems to me like an isolated incident. As for your PC setup, it looks fine.

@Sergey K: 2002nd dbp programmer? I don't understand.

@Lonnehart: Thank your friend for me, it's always good to recieve some negative criticism now and then.

Player-game experiences vary and i'm sure other players might agree with some of the points he brought up, like overall game speed but this can be tweaked on the main menu. Some of his points however are based on personal taste and you know the saying; that it's impossible to please everyone.

I had planned to release some videos to demonstrate the functionality of the combat system but i got sidetracked. After reading this post i feel i really need to get back to creating those videos... to at least show people like Isukun how the game is meant to be played.

Thanks all, cheers.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2009 23:30
perfect for my laptop! will download in the morning and edit this post^^

[Q]uik, Quiker than most

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 20:56:46
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 20:56:46