Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Lightning Limbs - Keyframe error

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm trying to set up an animation in LL but when I try to set the first keyframe I get the message "No more keyframes available". Anyone familar with this program and this message?

Robert?

Are you out there?
Robert The Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2009 12:19
Yes, I'm out here (but still with computer trouble). I rememeber that particular error message, it was supposed to only show if you had assigned more than 1000 keyframes. I could use a little more info, though.

Did you load any existing animatipon, or did you clear the keyframes? If you loaded the anim data, it might have 1000 frames in it but that are static. You can check this by looking at the timeline - if you click the Inc arrow and you move on, there's a keyframe tucked away at the end of the anim data list.

Could you attach the model you're using or email me a copy (I can be contacted through my website). I'll try it out myself and see what I can do.

"I wish I was a spaceman, the fastest guy alive. I'd fly you round the universe, in Fireball XL5..."
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2009 16:33
I forgot about LL while creating my latest games. *Pulls LL out of a pile*

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too big.CHANGE IT OR DIE!!!!!
No Time To Code
Years of Service
User Offline
It's a new model with no existing keyframes (that I am aware of) It's only my second model and it's probably got too many polys but I'm just glad it's done. I just want to get it animated so I can start working on the actual game.

Thanks!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Robert The Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2009 21:12
Ok, well I've played about with your object (it was a bit tricky with no textures, as the object and the nodes were all white) and I can't find anything wrong. The object animates just fine.

Only a few things I can think of, as it's a while since I built this:
1) What keyframe are you trying to set? is it frame zero, frame 1, frame 65535, what? If memory serves me right, you can't go beyond 65535 without LL giving an error.

2) Try deleting "settings.qpd", and animating again. I can't remember what's in there, so it might make a difference.

3) Get everything ready to set the keyframe, then go to the export toolbar (the computer icon in the bottom left of the screen) and ssave a .Lim project. Give me the .Lim file, and tell me what frame was about to be set.

If it still won't work, I'll upload the LL exe here for you to download - I might have changed it a little from the one on my website, but I don't think so. Where did you get the exe by the way?

Oh, one more thing - your object is huge, try scaling it down a bit! It's about 3000 units tall, but about 30 is what I think you'd need. That won't upset LL, but it might make it tricky on node selection. Just a thought.

"I wish I was a spaceman, the fastest guy alive. I'd fly you round the universe, in Fireball XL5..."
No Time To Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "1) What keyframe are you trying to set? is it frame zero, frame 1, frame 65535, what? If memory serves me right, you can't go beyond 65535 without LL giving an error."

Just tried to set the first keyframe, it think it was 5

Quote: "If it still won't work, I'll upload the LL exe here for you to download - I might have changed it a little from the one on my website, but I don't think so. Where did you get the exe by the way?"

I think I got it from a link to the Mythrada website
http://mythrada.distantstar.org.uk/limbs/lightning_limbs.htm
It's Ver1.0

I modified some animation code that was posted on the forum which I am using to animate this model. I will try what you suggested because I'd prefer to use your program since it has more functionality then the one I'm using.

Quote: "Oh, one more thing - your object is huge, try scaling it down a bit! It's about 3000 units tall, but about 30 is what I think you'd need. That won't upset LL, but it might make it tricky on node selection. Just a thought."

I was wondering what a "good" size is for a model. I understand everything should be proportional so if a person is 6' and 50 units high, the 24' high wall should be 200 units high. But is there a particular size or ratio that I should use when creating a world in DBC?

Also, why does the model import into LL "upside-down"? It does the same thing in the other animation program I am using and I have to rotate it to get it "right side up". If I then use FIX OBJECT PIVOT command, it goes back to the previous rotation???

Thanks.
Robert The Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2009 18:20
Ok, well I just downloaded LL from my own website again and tried fiddling with your model, and it seems to work fine. I'm not sure what's happening - try redownloading the exe, and see what happens.

It's unlikely, but it might be to do with the way you're rotating limbs. Try just loading the object and then set a keyframe - if it works, then we'll take it from there.

Quote: "why does the model import into LL "upside-down"? "

Ah. Your 3d model maker is exporting the .x file with mismatching axes - sometimes the z-axis is into the screen, other times it's out of the screen, sometimes X, Y and Z can be completely swapped round. This isn't a flaw, it's just that different programs define the axes differently.

There should be some settings to change this, but a quick fix in LL is to select limb one (the 'root' node) and rotate it x=270 and z=90. Never modify this again, and the object will be the right way up. (in DBC, all the limb commands reduce to the object commands when you use a value of zero, which is what LL calls "Limb One")

As to a good size for your object, it's entirely up to you but thre is no definite sizeing required. A six foot person could be drawn as 6 units high, or 12, 18, 24, 3.234567 units, whatever. As long as everything is in scale with everything else, it doesn't matter what size you use.

Just as a general rule of thumb, the distances involved (for example, when a persone walks, or you move the camera) become more manageable if the character is only 20 - 30 units tall. that way, you can move the camera say 5 units per sync, instead of 50 or 500.

Hope this helps!

No Time To Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the info Robert, I'll try what you suggest.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 07:21:07
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 07:21:07