Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Computer compatibility

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi!
I want my project to work on most computers from the past 5 years. I have started adding Specular, and diffuse etc. Will this limit the computers that my project can run on?

Have you any tips for pre-run setup subroutine?

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2009 17:09 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2009 17:10
er.....i dont know because all computers are differant, but i do have a suggestion: in ur program, at the begining, Check if its possible to use the effects, then set them on and off accordingly. this way any computer that cant will still be able to run ur application.

Good Luck!
Cheers.
-DD

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too big.CHANGE IT OR DIE!!!!!
Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Jul 2009 20:39
If an effect is not supported, which it almost always will be, then it will silently fail. A computer with DirectX 8.1 and above should be able to handle all effects. A computer with DirectX 7.0 and above should at least be able to run the program without crashing. Performance will vary from machine to machine, but for most games, it shouldn't dip below 20 FPS, even without hardware acceleration. However, programs made in DarkBASIC cannot be made to work on anything older than Windows 95, no matter what. So, here are the minimum system reqs:
Windows 95 and above
DirectX 7.0 and above
The recommended:
Windows 98 and above
DirectX 8.1 and above

WINNER list:
Latch, Lee Bamber, TDK, TheComet
Thanks for the help!
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2009 23:57
Quote: "silently fail"

you mean fail without stopping mid-program, right...?

Wont a comp still "try" to use whatever effect even tho it cant(therefore sucking Fps and making the processor's life harder)?

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too big.CHANGE IT OR DIE!!!!!
Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Jul 2009 23:59 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2009 23:59
Quote: "you mean fail without stopping mid-program, right...? "

Correct.
Quote: "Wont a comp still "try" to use whatever effect even tho it cant(therefore sucking Fps and making the processor's life harder)?"

Incorrect.

WINNER list:
Thanks for the help!
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2009 00:22
hmmmmm.....

Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 24th Jul 2009 00:24
I know, all the better, right?

WINNER list:
Thanks for the help!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 05:17:55
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 05:17:55