Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / untitled roguelike / rpg (screenshots)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 03:07 Edited at: 28th Jul 2009 01:41
this is a pet project of mine i've had going for some time. it's a roguelike / rpg in the vein of adom, Diablo and others, with ideas from many different sources.

the idea is to create a complex and unpredictable turn based dungeon hack type game, with permanent character death, millions of possible items, and a large game world to explore.

right now it's just barely functional as a game, but approaching the level where i could release a single-dungeon demo if there's interest.

disclaimer: since it's only in my own development right now, there are some gfx being used nabbed from other games. they're placeholders; it's not plagiarism.

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 08:10
Looks good! I love rogue-likes and would like to check this out when you get it to the single-dungeon playable stage.

You should check out David Gervais's tiles for Nethack (he's also on these forums). I believe they are available to use in free games (just mention his name somewhere) and they are really good for 32x32 iconic needs.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Plotinus
Years of Service
User Offline
Fantastic, a new Moria! I always loved that game. This looks really promising. Will it have random levels?

You might want to do a spellcheck at some point ("serpant") but that's no big deal right now.
nhx
Years of Service
User Offline
good catch plotinus! haha.

yeah, the levels are random. right now my focus is putting the 'stuff' in them, but they're already random and connected.

a little more about the game; it's '3d' in that there's a z-level to the dungeon, so further down the road you could have things like levitating over monsters shooting at them, etc. right now the only difference it makes is you can fall down holes in the ground and stuff.

i've used some of David Gervais's tiles, I had no idea he was on these forums though, that'd be cool if he was. I switched to some other free texture-oriented graphics from David Gurrea because i wanted to up the tile detail to 64x64, but the system i'm using supports both levels of detail right now.

thanks for the kind words.
Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2009 21:22 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2009 09:41
Ah very cool! I loved playing uMoria on the amiga and angband on the PC back in the days. I've been wanting to make a port of angband with my gui hopefully soon. Very inspiring. Looking forward to playing this!

gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2009 13:40
nice!

Regards
Gamerboots~
nhx
Years of Service
User Offline
so yeah, slow progress due to a few factors including the incredible slowness of dbp's sprites... switching to a fake-2d system using 3d objects, one of the upsides, along with the huge increase in speed, being that really nice looking light is easy to pull off...

nhx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2009 01:24 Edited at: 27th Sep 2009 06:58
the new faux-isometric look in progress...

it was a pain getting this to be speed-effective as far as loading, but i think it's there, loading is pretty much instant for most maps...

gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2009 22:49
Yes, I think loading speed of levels and such is very important as no one really likes to wait a long time things to load in a game.

----------------
Gamerboots~

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-29 03:21:07
Your offset time is: 2024-05-29 03:21:07