Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / Requesting compositions for DBPro Showcase project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
First of all, I'm not sure if it is permitted to actually request for compositions on this board. In case I should violate against any rules, please accept my apologies and delete this thread.

You can visit my thread in the W.I.P. forum to view a few more pictures and videos.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=145470&b=8

The project was inspired by games like Heavenly Sword, Jade Empire,the Onimusha series and different movies/animes.

I would like to request for a theme and background song which I could use for the project and preview videos. The composer will be of course credited. Unfortunately I can't offer any cash at the moment,
but if the composition is of good quality I would definitely pay a "donation" at a later time. I'm not asking for exclusive compositions, you may offer them for download or sell them...I just need something tailored to my project.

To give you an idea for what I'm looking for, here is a background track from Onimusha 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP3-pKXBYGQ
I'm looking for something similar which I could loop in the background. Concerning the theme, I don't have any specific ideas. It just should be something fitting and could sound similar to the background music.

I hope someone will be interested in composing these tracks for the project. Thanks !

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 21:46
I might be interrested.
Are you looking for oriental styled music, western music featuring eastern instruments or something else?

I'll read up on your WIP thread when I get home tonight

Cheers,
Rudolpho

Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 23:21 Edited at: 27th Jul 2009 23:36
Thanks for the interest Rudolpho !

This track from Onimusha 3 comes the closest to what I'm looking for.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP3-pKXBYGQ
It should definitely have some oriental/japanese sound to it by making use of eastern instruments. In the example, I guess the flute and the drums are giving it the oriental touch. But I like the whole symphonic arrangement. Since the pace of the game is rather slow, I'm looking for general classic score music. No techno or metall. Slow and eerie with a nice melody would be best fitting. Though I would need something upbeat as well, for a boss battle at a later point.
But for now a theme and the bgm for area exploration will do.

I hope that gives you a slight idea.

Thanks again !

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 15:17
I must say your project looks really stunning graphics-wise. Great work!
I will try to start on a track and then you can see whether it will do or not. I'm currently gathering ideas; rivers and those nice pink trees put a very ambient feel in my mind... we'll see what comes out of it

I'll post again when I have a short tune to show off (this might take anything from one to several days, but just letting you know that I'll have a go at it).

Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 17:36 Edited at: 28th Jul 2009 17:37
Thanks for the compliment Rudolpho !And thanks a lot for giving it a go.

I'm excited about what you'll come up with. Just take your time.
I might have to add that I will place some guard corpses in the scene with ravens picking on the remains. At the end it won't look so peaceful.

Would it be possible to create an upbeat short loop which would play during a fight/battle to create tension, but fits to the background music ? So once a battle would occur I could fade out the ambient music and play the tension track, until the fight is over. Then play the ambient track again.
Might be a bit much to ask for, but definitely great.

Anyway, thanks again !

Smetana
Years of Service
User Offline
Does this sound remotely close to a pleasing theme?

Percussion needs some work, but this is a mock-up, more or less. I realize this is not a working ambiance. The melody would be used, but it wouldn't be even close to this busy. This is just a theme mock-up.

Let me know!

"If I weren't a physicist, I would have been a musician."

--Albert Einstein
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2009 16:29
Well, this is obviously not finished, but what I have managed to jot down this far (I have some more thought out, but haven't been able to arrange it just yet).

I figured it would be for the best to check if it is fitting with you before continuing further though

Download ambience demo

Quote: "Would it be possible to create an upbeat short loop which would play during a fight/battle to create tension, but fits to the background music ? So once a battle would occur I could fade out the ambient music and play the tension track, until the fight is over. Then play the ambient track again."

I could write something that goes in the same clef and begins with a percussion upbeat. Using that with your described method, the transition should hopefully be more or less seamless; supposedly a regular player wouldn't think too much about it and hence not notice it.

Anyway, tell me if I'm completely off and should try something different or not. I myself think this fits in rather well with your scene renders at least, although perhaps it has a more desolate than eerie feeling.

Cheers,
Rudolpho

Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Great, thanks !
Didn't really expect to get something to listen to so soon.

Let's start with the ambient track. I know it's not finished yet but I must say I already like it a lot. It's pretty much spot on. Love the drums !
There is only one small thing. I didn't notice it personally but a friend drew my attention to it. He told me that the string instrument at 0:30 up to 0:42 make the track sound Chinese for a short while. But the rest is very authentic. Personally I wouldn't know, and I doubt anyone else would. But since he's Japanese he notices such things. Had the same issue with one of my level assets. You may change the instrument or leave it as it is, I don't mind too much.

Now let's talk about the theme demo.
How should I express it, I did find the melody of the main instrument a bit...hm complicated ?
Listen to this track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jum_fjDNC7k
I like the beginning and parts from 0:45 to around 1:00 and from 1:55 to 2:09. Ideally I would like the theme to have a catching tune, something memorable.
Sorry If I'm too demanding. But anyway, you got the talent and skills. The ambiance demo make me pretty confident that you will come up with something really great.

Looking forward to your next samples !
Thanks so much for your time and effort !

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2009 20:16
Yeah, I don't really have any more japaneese instruments to work with, so I figured the erhu would do as it's asian
Personally, I think it fit in quite well, but if you are eager to have it all ethnically correct, I guess I could replace it with a bamboo flute (which probably also gives chineese vibes, I don't really know); having another shakuhachi in there does not seem like it would work very well to me. I'll continue with the erhu for now, but just let me know if (and happily, to what) you want me to change it or remove it alltogether.
Anyway, glad you like it, and thanks for getting me to try this genre out; it's really interresting
I will continue to work on the ambience track then.

Just throwing this out there, since it sounded from your last post that you didn't knew; the "theme song" is not my work, but was posted by Smetana, who I guess is on post probation.
I myself have also been thinking about a theme song, but intend to finish the ambience track before starting to plan that one more seriously. I guess it's up to you to choose whose to go with then.

I'll be back; cheers,
Rudolpho

Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2009 21:10 Edited at: 30th Jul 2009 07:01
Rudolpho, sorry about the mix up. I really thought the theme demo was from you as well.
Regarding the ambiance track.
I think you can leave it as it is. I wouldn't know either with what other instrument it could be replaced.
No, I have to thank you. Seems as my project is getting some outstanding music thanks to you.
Would be great if you'd give the theme a try as well, once you've completed work on the ambiance track. Keep up the great work.

@Smetana - Hehe sorry, thought the theme was posted by Rudolpho as well.
Please just back read on what I said about the Theme song in my previous post. I posted a link to give you some ideas. Thanks a lot for giving it a go !

NGXmusical
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2009 02:15 Edited at: 19th Aug 2010 05:43
bv
Smetana
Years of Service
User Offline
Right on. Yeah, I figured it moved around too much. Just goes to show that if you listen to something too many times, your ears become okay with it.

I have no Japanese sounds...yet. I'll be getting some East West stuff within a year that should allow me more freedom than a basic orchestra.

As for the music, I was rebelling from all the chromatic planing and lydian crap I had to do on my last project. Since old school chinese music is all about the melody, I wrote in a separate chord for every note, and used lots secondaries and lowered 5ths to mesh it. Either way, the end product makes one dizzy, and in one word, "loses" the melody. I'll give it another shot, but I'm thinking Rudolpho is right on top of the idea...I thought his meshed very well with the screenies you provided.

I'll give it another go without half as many progressions.

"If I weren't a physicist, I would have been a musician."

--Albert Einstein
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
@NGXMusical - Would be great if you give it a try. I really like your tracks, specially "sent to heaven to return on earth".
Rudolphos composition is a very good example for what I'm looking for.
It should sound Japanese to fit the theme of the game.

@Smetana - It's all good. I'm thankful that you gave it a try.
I wish I'd be half as talented as you guys are. But if it comes to music I have to depend on others. Great if you want to give it another try.
I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks to all of you guys !

NGXmusical
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2009 09:53 Edited at: 19th Aug 2010 05:43
bvvn
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
NGXMusical the track is excellent. What have you planned regarding the play time of the track ? Will the final version be longer ?
It would be nice to have one extra version where the drum part is longer. Specially the part at 0:57 where the drums kick in is really great. Can't wait for the final version.
Could I ask for another favor ? Could you create a short track (just a few seconds long really) which would play if the player selects START.
The flute and the drums maybe, something that fits to your track.
Just a short sample.

It's really incredible with what you and Rudolpho have come up with !
Thanks !

NGXmusical
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2009 22:09 Edited at: 19th Aug 2010 05:44
bvcb
NGXmusical
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2009 23:37 Edited at: 19th Aug 2010 05:44
vbn
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi NGXMusical,

2:00-2:30 is just fine. I was searching for an example for the start tune, unfortunately I wasn't able to find a video of that nor a sound sample in the OST. I'll still see if I can find an example. But it's just a few notes, maybe a flute, followed by something like a gong.
It's just something that will play if the player starts the game, maybe 3-4 seconds long ? Anyway I'll see if I can provide you with something to give you a better idea.

The drums in the latest version are pretty much what I thought of.
It's very nice. Actually I like both versions, one which is a bit more quiet, and the other one with more drums.
Of course there is no need to hurry, you can take as much time as you need to work on the tracks.

Thanks a lot !

NGXmusical
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2009 08:08 Edited at: 19th Aug 2010 05:44
vcbcvb
NGXmusical
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2009 10:05 Edited at: 19th Aug 2010 05:45
cvb
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
NGXMusical I love the track ! That's some incredible work you've done there. I'm glad that my project inspired you to create something truly great.
I would love to have different versions, one with less drums.
And also do I think would the melody that starts at 1:14 turn into a nice silent melodic ambiance track.

The select track is pretty much what I was looking for. Except that the drums are at the beginning instead of at the end. But it's fine as it is now.

Those long nights really turned into some high quality tracks. I'm really thankful !
I'm still in need of an ambiance track for a village/town (if Rudolpho finishes his track) and an upbeat boss loop. If you'd be interested in giving those a try it would be great. But that's nothing you would have to work on now, that would still have some time.

Thanks again ! I'm excited about the alternate version

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2009 18:45
Quote: "(if Rudolpho finishes his track)"

I've actually been working on it for likely 12 or so hours since my last post (mostly mixing work though, which I'm really trying hard to get right in this one), so don't loose faith in me just because I can't cram out five tracks per week like NGXMusical (no harm intended).
Right now I'm having some problems with authencity as the third part is not sounding very oriental at all; trying to fix that though...

@NGXMusical: thanks, and your stuff sounds great as always. In all seriousness though (or well, not so much perhaps), do you not sleep or how do you manage to produce such greatly mastered tracks at such a high rate?
Also, I couldn't resist adding that 34 inch gong to the end of your character selection track

Well, anyhow, I'll maybe get back with a newer version of my song tonight to show the progress thus far.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Hehe sorry didn't mean to rush you. Take as much time as you need !
Looking forward to your track !
Thanks !

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2009 00:14
Ah, no probblems.

Well, I'm going away for the weekend, so I figured I should show up what I've got this far.

Listen in and feel free to post any critisism that I will then take into consideration when I get back

NGXmusical
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2009 11:29 Edited at: 19th Aug 2010 05:43
ghbg
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
NGXMusical, I think a melodic ambiance remake would be nice.
Probably better than just the same track without/less drums.
Great that you will give the boss loop a try as well. Just take your
time with it.

Thanks Rudolpho ! I'll comment on your track tomorrow. Didn't have a chance to listen to it today. Anyway, you are away over the weekend.

NGXmusical
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2009 11:12 Edited at: 19th Aug 2010 05:46
gbcvb
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Had a little situation yesterday, so I didn't get to spend time checking out the track. However I listened into it today.

Rudolpho, thanks ! I really like the first half ! But then it sways away from it's original tune. A slow silent part is definitely not bad, but at the second part it did loose a bit of it's oriental/japanese vibe from the beginning. I can't really tell what to change either.
I can imagine it's difficult, specially if one never worked with that genre. Anyway, there is no rush. just take your time with it.

NGXMusical, you know what ? I actually like it. I think, some short bamboo flute inserts would fit very well. You should definitely continue working on it ! It sounds great so far !

Thanks to both of you !

NGXmusical
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2009 11:57 Edited at: 19th Aug 2010 05:46
bcvbc
NGXmusical
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2009 12:03 Edited at: 19th Aug 2010 05:47
xcvx
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
NGXMusical, you are right. I think the violin (?)part is definitely giving it an egyptian vibe. Could you replace it maybe with another string/synth or flute ? But other than that I really like it !
The Flute bits are really great !
If you think metal shop FX would make it too noisy, then I guess you are right about leaving it out. As you said, I guess it wouldn't fit the ambient track.
Thanks again for the great work !

NGXmusical
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2009 09:27 Edited at: 19th Aug 2010 05:42
cvcb
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
That's nice, I don't think the track needs any further changes.
It definitely sounds less Egyptian now. Actually I don't think it was really the instrument but the tones/melody that gave it that egyptian vibe at the end.
Could you still do the ambient track with the melody of your theme composition ? If it's not too much to ask? I really liked the string and flute melody. And I think it would turn out great as an ambient,calm track.
I don't know if you made this track instead, so that's why I'm asking.

Thanks a lot again NGXMusical.

epithika
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2009 14:13
Hi!

Check out my music at http://www.myspace.com/liambradburymusic

I am a composer for pc games and films, I've recently written some epic orchestral tracks that would suit this game.

If your interested in using my tracks then email me at liambradbury@live.co.uk and I'll negotiate a price that will suit your budget.

MUSIC FOR YOUR GAMES! at $20 per minute wrote! Click Here!
NGXmusical
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2009 05:19 Edited at: 19th Aug 2010 05:42
dfv
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually I'm pretty sure I'll use all of them. Having 1 single ambient track for 3-4 areas would become boring. Village/town>Castle>Inside Castle, don't know yet if I'll include the forest.
Maybe I might request another track or two when time comes.
Of course you may add them to your website !
Thanks a lot NGXmusical !

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2009 23:03
Honestly, I really love Rudolpho's track. I see nothing wrong with the second part, and there's no doubt that it retains the 'oriental' vibe to it. It's actually pretty epic. I think you ought to definetly use it, or if you aren't, I might ask Rudolpho to let me use it instead.

NGXmusical,
I like your track as well. You say you've been using FL Studio? I use it as well, but you know, without good synths or samples, you can't really make the best of music. It's the only thing that's stopping me. Everything else is really easy about the music. My problem is finding all the right sounds and instruments. Heck, if I had a few hundred dollars to spend, I'd invest it all in the best synths and instruments I could find. What VST's, soundpacks, or synths do you use?

Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
I actually really like Rudolpho's track. I was definitely going to use it as ambient bm. However, I'm not sure if he's still going to complete it. Well maybe he's just busy at the moment. It would be unfortunate though if it wouldn't be completed. Like you said, it's a really great track.

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2009 12:18 Edited at: 18th Aug 2009 12:21
@Xenocythe: thank you
I don't know whether mr Irradic would prefer it to be restricted upon completion, but as for me I'm just merrier the more use it could be put to

Sorry for my inactivity, I've been over at a friends for the last couple of weeks, actually trying to make a game for a change (!).
I still am for a while, but just letting you know that I will get back on this thereafter.

Also, I understand what you mean about the slightly lesser ambient feel of the song during the second part, but hey, let's call this my theme contribution then
I intend to finish it off first, but could then make a more ambient version of it as well, if you like.

Again, thanks for the kind words,

Rudolpho

NGXmusical
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2009 05:15 Edited at: 19th Aug 2010 05:42
cbhbm
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2009 14:20 Edited at: 30th Aug 2009 14:25
-NGXMusical

No problem take your time, continue when ever you have settled down at your new place. I like the transition very much and the pan flute or what ever it is you added in the second part is great.
However I tested the ambient track, and with the background noise like crickets etc. it just seems bloated. Like there's too much going on.

I don't want to lower the volume of the background music though.
So I was thinking It would be better if the background music would be more "quiet", drums playing once in a while and probably the flute that you used at the transition and through out the second half.

To give you an example, here is a video of Ninja Gaiden Sigma.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEp6xTv-OdQ
At the beginning of the stage (1:40 to 1:55) you can only hear drums then silence and then drums again, I would like to keep it like that through out the track with some melodic cues once in a while.

I hope you were able to get an idea about what I was trying to explain.

-Rudolpho
I'm actually using your track as intro track, so I really really hope you'll finish it once you'll find the time.

Thanks a lot to the both of you !

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2009 19:16
Whew, I've finally wrapped this up somewhat. Sorry for the long delay; it is not good for the creativity to lay off something and then continue later on, you get out of sync...

I've spent quite a while getting this into a somewhat loopable state; the solution relies on overlays and hence requires some additional code to function properly. Not to worry though; I've written a dba include file that takes care of that, along with a small demonstration on the playback. These files can be found in the archive containing the music. Take note that I didn't get the pause function to work properly (using it will freeze the program... either I might solve it at a later time, or you can probably do it yourself, if you even need it. I'd recommend lowering the volume to zero while playing an eventual second song, so that the looping will go on, thus having the song fade back in at a different position next time).

Anyway, some notes on the actual music then.
When playing through the track as a loop, I noticed that the gong at the transistion back to the beginning... well, it doesn't sound too good. Also, the erhu part in the last few bars seems to have a slightly too loud volume. Perhaps it should rather be removed alltogether; the last part seems a tad cluttered. Also, I didn't normalize the track properly, so the amplification is a bit low in places.
Furthermore, the reverb is rather excessive. I could easily lower it if you like, but I find that it emphasizes the mysterious vibe to the song. However, this makes the taiko's reverb outshadow everything else if you use a subwoofer. It sounds as it is intended to through my (stereo) headphones though, so it should hopefully be fine for most uses.

So, tell me what you think. I might as said make some minor touchups to the parts mentioned.

Quote: "I'm actually using your track as intro track"

Wait a minute... does that mean that you want an actual ending to it? (After all my hardship with the looping aspect... )

Well, either way, let me know

If you find this unintelligble, it's most likely tiredsomeness induced

NGXmusical
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2009 05:01 Edited at: 19th Aug 2010 05:48
dff
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Rudolpho - I really like the track it's excellent ! I agree with you regarding the gong at the end. But other than that I don't have any issues, it's great. You don't have to come up with an ending.
However I like the melodic part starting at 2:10 up to the end.
Could you compose a loopable track,around 1-1:30 long, from that last part ? I'd like to have a melodic track, without any drums etc and that part of the track would be excellent as such.

Thanks a lot for the great track ! It would be great if you'd do the melodic track as well.

NGXmusical - Welcome back and thanks so much for the track.
It turned out great, the last part is intense ! I like it !
I will definitely use it. Regarding the new track, I second your notion that it probably be better to come up with something new.
Since there is a lot of other noise like footsteps and crickets etc, continous melody and drums is too much as you said.
The Ninja Gaiden ambient music is a pretty good example, at least the beginning of it. It just has a nice drum cue from time to time and then some flute sounds. Fits the ambience pretty well and you don't have the feeling that too much is going on.
Well I can't wait to hear what you'll come up with !
Thanks a lot !

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2009 00:42
Thanks, glad you like it

Sure, I'll fix that up and will then have a go at the loop you proposed.
That last part is basically the same as the intro, without the shakuhachi; do you want that one in the second ambient track or should I leave it as in the last section (I suppose the latter)?

This shouldn't take too long to complete, but I've got some newly started university courses I've got to keep up with, so I can't say when I'll be able to get to it. Will try to do it as soon as possible though.

NGXmusical
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2009 07:10 Edited at: 19th Aug 2010 05:48
cvbcvb
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Rudolpho - Thanks a lot ! Regarding the second ambient track, please leave it as it is in the last section of the "thegarden intro" track.
It's perfect the way it is, I just need it to last longer.
My favorite part is from 2:24-2:37, if you could extend that in the ambient track that would be really great.
Anyway there is no need to hurry, take your time. Thanks again !

NGXmusical - Thanks ! I can imagine that it's quiet a challenge. The track is good so far, there is just something about the flute bits. I can't exactly say what, maybe make the bits more melodic ? But I like the drums and the way it loops, exactly the way I need it to be.
Thanks again !

NGXmusical
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2009 02:34 Edited at: 19th Aug 2010 05:48
bnvvbnv
Irradic
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks so much for the track NGX ! I like it but I still have to test in the actual scene. I have one favor though, could you please make a flute less version as well ?
Thanks so much for your time and effort !

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2009 19:46
Ok, here we go then. I removed the gong and lowered and re-panned the last erhu part a bit.

Unfortunately it seems there was a slight audio disturbance in the loop track. I'll upload it as-is now anyway; I can always re-record that part later if need be.

The new loop times are estimated at 158123 and 114300 milliseconds.

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 15:30:36
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 15:30:36