Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / I'm a beginner

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I only know how to make 3D things, but not 2D! Is there any 2D tutorials?

Why change the the world when it changes itself?
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2009 00:56
Look in TDK's Tutorials(THeres a sticky at the top that's entitled "TDK's Programming tuts for newcomers" or somthing.)

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too big.CHANGE IT OR DIE!!!!!
Outerblob
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright, Thanks!

That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2009 05:40
Quote: "I only know how to make 3D things"

knock that off!!!!

the order in which you learn to program in DBC is as follows:

TEXT games - teach you the basics of programming without any complex commands
........wait until you truly feel you understand text and the basics
2D games (with maybe a little fooling around with 3d, no real projects but just experiments) - 2d allows MUCH more control than maybe beginners (known as noobs around here) need and more than enough to get you to impressive ames
........wait a few months... years..... until you master 2d
RECONSIDER YOUR CHOICE TO MOVE ON - do 3 times
move on to 3d

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
@smartguy:
Just because that is the most common path, doesn't mean it is always the right one.

3D has a lot to teach a beginner.

1) The dream shatterer role. 3D is easy to start but difficult to actually get a GAME going, rather than just a tech demo type thing. In this regard it teaches beginners how hard it is to program, so that they don't say "Hm, I can put a sprite on the screen...MMO TIME!!!"

2) Its easy. You can turn things around and get familiar with the language while just having fun and messing around in 3d.

Now, 3D for beginners also has some negative side effects as well:

1) Many good practices and experiences with well structured coding that you learn in text and 2d forms are ignored, leading to sloppy, un-commented code.

2) A cap for production. As a beginner, you won't really be able to go far in 3d, mostly because you lack experience THINKING correctly. This creates a limit to how much you can get done initially which can be demoralizing to some beginners, putting them off of programming entirely.

Summing up:
Jumping straight into 3D is a fun way to jump in and just do stuff. However, if you want to learn the language in its entirety, start basic and work your way up. Then, once you hit 3D, you will realize that all the tricks you learned (and were forced to learn) in 2D will help you rid yourself of the limit imposed by 3D on beginners.

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
Outerblob
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, Thanks for the input!
I think I'll buy a dark BASIC Book. And The software when my trial is over.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 07:46:32
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 07:46:32