Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Wat FPS U get?....

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2009 05:00
Hey All, Just wondering what fps u guy get from this intersect object function i'm writing......

Might release this on the snippet board, once i've got a few more commands. the reason i wrote this was because i noticed static line of sight will only work with Static Objects, and i hate working with statics, they confuse me(Dont ask why).....

SO.......Please tell me what fps, and if it laged at all, it running a thousand cylcle every time i call my function, but i still seem to manage the cap(60 Fps).

-DD

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too big.CHANGE IT OR DIE!!!!!
That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2009 05:19
quite impressive, even on this computer

at default sync rate i got 32 FPS, at sync rate 0 I got over 300 FPS (no joke, im on a freakin badass computer, nothing can slow this beast!!)

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2009 05:57
Quote: "nothing can slow this beast!!)"

LOL, WTF. Yeah thanks smart guy 300's right in the hotspot of what i was aiming for,WOOHOO!

LOL. Did that while i was wait for a response. FPS, ANy One? Hm?...

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too big.CHANGE IT OR DIE!!!!!
That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2009 06:38
lol

Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 31st Jul 2009 07:12
I got the full FPS. By the way, I whipped up a function you might be interested in:

WINNER list:
Latch, Lee Bamber, TDK, TheComet
Thanks for the help!
DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2009 08:43
I got a constant 500-530 fps.
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2009 17:35
@BB
I'm very interested.
I'm using this function(mine) as a help in my ai(Yes the TDS, Dont ask how or why i'm using 3d to do 2d crap, its complicated.)for pathfinding, so i'm open to any new method until i find a solid, working one.

@ Everyone
thx.

That1Smart Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2009 18:09
Quote: "I got a constant 500-530 fps."

on his ray function or the top post program?

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2009 18:27
Probly mine...

Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2009 19:13
i got 160 or 170 on a Kinda old computer(Dell Latitude d510)

it's a laptop so it's ok

New Site! Check it out \/
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2009 19:26
Isn't this the same function as "IntersectObjectDBC" from sparky's DLL, only slower?

I get 39 FPS, 512 MB RAM, Intel Pentium R 1.6 GHz Windows XP professional version 2002 service pack 3. Yay! I'm slow!

Also, I can't see any blue cube anywhere. Do you mean the green cube?

TheComet

Make the path of your enemies easier with Waypoint Pro!
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2009 19:52
Quote: "Isn't this the same function as "IntersectObjectDBC" from sparky's DLL, only slower?"

Yes.

Nah, i really based it off Intersect object From DBPro, but yeah, its basically the same thing.

Quote: " got 160 or 170 on a Kinda old computer(Dell Latitude d510)"

Ran 200-210 Uncaped on my Dell Latitude.

Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 31st Jul 2009 20:22
Here's the thing- no matter matter what, Sparky's is blazing fast on any machine, plus it's a little more accurate. However, your function does meshcasting, which is something Sparky's doesn't have. The only problem is that it's very slow. The function that I wrote is a lot faster, but has no benefit over Sparky's. Here's the thing- Sparky's library has setupComplexObjectDBC() which can allow you to check for collision using quads instead of triangles, which is still almost as accurate, but twice as fast. Also, it does all the work in a separate part of memory, meaning that you won't notice any slowdown. Not that your program is slow or anything, but isn't it checking for collision many times per loop? That sounds like lag waiting to happen for a terrain mesh.

WINNER list:
Latch, Lee Bamber, TDK, TheComet
Thanks for the help!
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2009 20:28
@DD

Your function is quite cool, if not for the speed.

TheComet

Make the path of your enemies easier with Waypoint Pro!
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2009 21:14
Quote: "Not that your program is slow or anything, but isn't it checking for collision many times per loop?"

1000 times per loop, but you can change it for fewer or for more.

Quote: "That sounds like lag waiting to happen for a terrain mesh."

...yeah, I suppose. The fewer checks,the less lag tho. Then you can just 'up' the 'accuracy' setting....

Quote: "Your function is quite cool, if not for the speed."

Say, Thanks!

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2009 22:37 Edited at: 31st Jul 2009 22:47
I got about 1527 fps ...

Im just gonna compare it to sparkys to see the speed diff.

Edit:
Sparkys intersect object takes 8~10 millisecs to do 10000 times,
dbpro takes ~185 millisecs
yours takes 1730 millisecs

Slight speed diff....

Edit again: Actually, scrap that. That was because you were doing 100 cycles. I changed the cycles to 1 and got only 22 millisecs =) Thats better than dbpro. The accuracy setting doesnt affect the speed much, but I wonder whether this is as good as dbpro intersect object. If it is then its miles faster as well!

monk

I like work. It fascinates me. I sit and look at it for hours.
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2009 23:35
Quote: "Edit again: Actually, scrap that. That was because you were doing 100 cycles. I changed the cycles to 1 and got only 22 millisecs =) Thats better than dbpro. The accuracy setting doesnt affect the speed much, but I wonder whether this is as good as dbpro intersect object. If it is then its miles faster as well! "

Whoa, U Really think so,eh? Cool Monk, THanks fer the extensive testing, its much appreciated!

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2009 23:47
The demo needs tarting up a bit. I think it should display the can or cant see all the time, not just when you collide.

It took me a while to figure out what you meant by can or cant see the block, the things move too fast at high fps and you need to zoom out a bit.

Nothing that you couldnt easily change, but stuff that would make the command demo a lot better =)

Monk

I like work. It fascinates me. I sit and look at it for hours.
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2009 01:26
Yea, I'm gonna tune them up a bit; First i'm gonna play with them, get some more commands done and be back...

Bluestar4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2009 08:12
Load a single mp3 file then delete the resource. It doesn't matter what the size is so long as its an mp3 file. This will "uncap" the fps to the maximun that dbc is capable of.

bluestar4~
---Missle Might - Hero Battles - Zillipede --- which do you like the best ?
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
@DD
40 fps with the default, 165 with sync rate 0 .

Clever! You get around the problem of DBC returning the lower priority object number in a series of objects colliding simultaneously when just using a long object to detect collision. Very clever! I would think you could get rid of cycle all together, but then you are subject to the time it would take to complete all of the iterations in just the main loop - I dunno.

Enjoy your day.
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2009 05:10
Quote: "Clever! You get around the problem of DBC returning the lower priority object number in a series of objects colliding simultaneously when just using a long object to detect collision. "

Yeah, I got the idea from..........firing a bullet in a FPS. I figured it would drain a lot of Frames per second, and then i just thought "TAKE OUT THE SYNC, DUMMY!" and this function was born. It hit the teens when i got it working, and it grew into an Adult and matured when you pronounced it clever.

@All
Yeah, i'm going to make alot of other useful functions,be sure to look for them!

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(O.o ) / WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!
(> < )

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 05:30:48
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 05:30:48