Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Cold Dawn Demo (space sim) now available for download

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2009 05:00 Edited at: 7th Aug 2009 13:12
Hi All,

Just to let you know a demo version of Cold Dawn (written in DBC) is now available in the download section of www.cold-dawn.com

If you do download it and try it out, I would love to hear any feedback you may have. Please be as brutal as you like - I wont mind at all if you think it sucks.

Cheers,

Chas.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2009 05:44
cool is this the same thing you were working on about a year ago?

TGC Forum - converting error messages into sarcasm since 2002.
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2009 05:50
Looks nice Hanger,You do the graphics yourself?!

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(O.o ) / WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!
(> < )
Hangar18
Years of Service
User Offline
@Obese87: Yes it is.

@DarkDragon: Thanks! and yes up to a point. I used Doga L3 for .x models and flaming pear bundle pack for planets/suns/background nebulae etc. (i.e. so up to a point in that I didnt draw them pixel by pixel)
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2009 21:53
Quote: "I didnt draw them pixel by pixel"

If you did, You would be a god.

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(O.o ) / WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!
(> < )
sub zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Great job Hangar! This is really interesting that what a talented bunch can do with DB. I surely don't think that this game "sucks"! Who could say something like that
Hangar18
Years of Service
User Offline
@sub zero: Thanks!!! but I'm sure there will be plenty who will as it only operates in 2D and the graphics arent exactly next gen. Been a lot of fun though in the making even if lack of sleep has added a few more grey hairs in the process
Velonski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2009 08:34
The interesting project. You are the fan of game "Elite"? This information window (screenshot) is obviously borrowed from "Elite 3: First Encounters" (window design, text colors, data about star system).

It is a pity, that in game there are only two dimensions (in space). But there is a 3D-action component. Here game is similar to games of Derek Smart (Battlecruiser Millenium and Universal Combat).

Unfortunately, the surface of planets almost always looks deserted. Only textures are different. The walk in desert is uninteresting. There is not effect of walk. Movement is very slow. It would be desirable to see more details, more objects (grass, trees, stones, city structures, the transport traffic). You can reduce 3D-world scale. You can also improve the component of surface combat or let the player make peace walks.

The 3D-Action component is pleasant addition. But I think, that it is a unessential part of game. All the most interesting happens in 2D-space.

You should refuse 3D-action or alter it. Make 2D-action.

It is only the recommendation. Simply consider this, when you will begin the next project. I hope, it will be space game too, with three dimensions.

If this game was free, it could forgive much. But "Cold Dawn" is shareware. People do not forgive defects of such games. Be cautious.

Nevertheless, greater work has been done. And it is necessary to pay for this work. But your game already has many worthy competitors. I wish you good luck in your business.

Hangar18
Years of Service
User Offline
@velonski; Thanks - very valuable feedback. Yes the FPS (walking around on the desert) part needs some work - hoping to enlist some help with this.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 10:29:12
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 10:29:12