Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Bug Reports / Enhancements Add-On Pack - data file commands in ini but not in Help file...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2009 21:43 Edited at: 10th Aug 2009 21:44
as above - really wished I had noticed the functionality of the data file commands in the Enhancements pack - they are mentioned on the link/sales pitch on this site and they are apparently there in DBPro - but when you say try Open Data File DBPro recognises the command - but if you press F1 for Help it refers you to the Help.chm - which makes no mention of them...
[edit] - namely, I cant find the following Enhancements pack commands in the Help.chm:-

OPEN DATA FILE Filename$, Separator$, File ID
CLOSE DATA FILE File ID
return string = GET DATA FILE CELL( File ID, Column, Row )
return integer = GET DATA FILE ROW COUNT( File ID )
return integer = GET DATA FILE COLUMN COUNT( File ID )

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2009 21:55 Edited at: 10th Aug 2009 21:59
.. and I understand that these can be used with CSVs and Excel docs - excellent - but dont know what I should say with say the Seperator$ with an excel doc?, how many fileIDs I am allowed?, maximum parameters for row, column? etc etc...

... also what versions of Excel will these data commands work with?

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2009 23:08
p-ping...

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2009 18:43
and a ping

RanQor
Years of Service
User Offline
Usually, if you save a CSV file then the column seperator would be a comma, with an excel, it might be a Tab unicode...
Rows are seperated with newlines. Would be helpful to have documentation though..
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2009 23:20 Edited at: 4th Sep 2009 23:20
P-ping... (although Dark Data may make it redundant...)

Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2010 12:13
I too have been looking at bringing in CSV data into my DarkBASIC Professional program; spending an hour today going through the exact same help files.

Owning both Enhancements pack and Dark Data, I eventually moved on from reading through the Enhancements help files, into researching more on Dark Data's ability.

Can you confirm if Dark Data is the way to go when processing CSV files?

Are there any alternate methods available?
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2010 15:55 Edited at: 26th Aug 2010 16:00
Well I don't know about the Enhancements Pack or DarkData (I've had my share of problems with the former, some of the commands don't work at all) but I did a quick forum search for CSV and found this thread: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=135273&b=1

The FILE commands (or IanM's plugin) may be all you need. Have a look at IanM's SPLIT STRING command for parsing through strings.

Guns, cinematics, stealth, items and more!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:12:23
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:12:23