Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / In House 3d animation?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2009 17:33
Pretty obvious question, can I make a 3d object and animate it?

Coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee cappacino, JAVA!
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2009 02:46 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2009 16:34
So you are lurking around the DBC forums again!

Yes. You can link together meshes (a mesh is the structure of a 3d object. It is all the points and faces) as limbs and then use the built in limb animation commands to animate the object. Doing it "in house" seems to mean you want to do it within DBC entirely. Using the basic objects, sphere's, cubes, cylinders, etc., you can get up and running without too much trouble. But if you wanted to make sculpted 3d models of any type, it gets more complicated and it would be easier to use a 3d modeling program. It can be done in DBC, but it requires the use of memblocks and knowledge of mesh creation.

Here is an example of the basic process. The details are in the code:

Enjoy your day.
Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2009 16:27
Hi again, I am back! (for good this time)

I loved your example, very easy to follow and has inspired me. I am playing around with memblocks now, I hope I could have something posted before the day is out. But I do need to sleep sometime before work haha . Thank you for the advice, I will keep you posted.

Robert The Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2009 18:17 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2009 18:17
As for the animation, if you get or build your own limb-based 3d mesh then you can animate it quite easily using Lightning Limbs.

It's got a few limitations to it, but I think it's quite a nifty little tool. (BTW, I wrote it!)

"I wish I was a spaceman, the fastest guy alive. I'd fly you round the universe, in Fireball XL5..."
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2009 18:21
Yep LL Is indeed very useful!

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(O.o ) / WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!
(> < )
Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2009 14:54
Thanks Rob I will check out your program, it sounds very useful .

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2009 12:36
@ Robert

I tried getting into LL, but it doesn't have an undo function, I don't think. So every time I screw up moving or rotating a limb, I have to restart the whole thing...

TheComet

Make the paths of your enemies easier with WaypointPro!
Robert The Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2009 13:26
Now that is a problem, I'll try and fix something up in the not too distant future (I'm planning a rewrite anyway) but...

For now, when you mess up the rotation/position of the object's limbs, just click on the timeline to go to another keyframe. If you go to your last animation key, the messed up limb rotations will be destroyed.

If only one limb is affected, simply click the text boxes governing it's rotation and type "0.0" in each one, then press enter or click off. You'll reset the limb and can rotate again. You might need to compare the values used on your last keyframe to properly reset the limb, but other than that it should work OK.

Hope this helps!

"I wish I was a spaceman, the fastest guy alive. I'd fly you round the universe, in Fireball XL5..."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 09:53:43
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 09:53:43