Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Galagan Arena

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've posted a few games in WIP without much feedback (doesn't seem to be much love for 2d around these parts ) so I didn't feel the urge to post them here.

I got some feedback on this game, worked some very good suggestions, and now I think I'm pretty much done:

http://pimpdaddyonline.com/files/galagan.zip

It's sort of a cross between Galaga and Asteroids.

Use the arrows to move, control to fire, space bar will reverse the Left/Right key directions, other then that pretty basic arcade stuff - powerups, point bonuses, extra shield/1up bonuses, and a teleporter to teleport you to the opposite side of the arena.

Avoid the atersoids, they will kill you. If you destroy them your shield increases.

The first few stages are pretty easy but things start moving really fast after stage 6
chwilly
Years of Service
User Offline
Woops, just realized I posted the same image twice. Here's some better pics:

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2009 05:03
Fun little game, a bit too confusing for me, but well-done!

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2009 07:21 Edited at: 4th Sep 2009 07:21
i was just about to agree with BMac (re: too confusing) but i played it once more before posting here and learned that the up/down keys move you in and out, which changed my opinion quite a bit playing it a more cerebrally, taking my time while moving carefully about took it from frantic to fun, for me.

also, i'm sorry i didn't follow the WIP on this and offer feedback, etc. i appreciate these classic 2d arcade games and should have showed the support it deserves. next time, i promise!

nice job & thanks for sharing!

chwilly
Years of Service
User Offline
Awsome, thanks for the feedback.

The keys confuse the hell out of me too. I can't quite figure a better way to manage the player movement. I figured Right to move clockwise and Left to move counter clockwise but of course then sometimes you appear to be moving backwards
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Like everyone else said, the game was pretty frantic and hard to follow the action. I found myself just sitting on the bottom of the circle, because of how the controls work. Also, it took me a while to figure out you had to use the mouse on the title screen!

I got to stage 7 before I died. The trick was the rapid fire powerup, which is super powerful. The best part was the bonus stages, where it was easier to see what was going on and get 100% kill rate.

Good luck with your next game

AlexRiva
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2009 23:19
I am a huge fan of retro 2d games so I had to try this!

Overall it's a good project IMO, fun, with much potential and some leaks.

My two cents:

Pros:
- great retro feeling!
- excellent enemy waves movement
- retro styled sound fx!
- good mix between galaga, asteroids and gyruss
- good energy handling (down at a hit, auto increasing) no random deaths
Cons:
- a bit too chaotic with the asteroids in. IMO the game would be far better without them (only a gyruss-galaga mix which is a great mix!)
- more powerups needed! never leave the player with the single fire at higher levels!

I made my way into level 9 playing well but then after a minute or so the game went crazy at super speed and I lost all my 5 lives within 30 seconds! Is that a bug?

I know this is the original concept, but if you leave out the asteroids and keep the gyruss-galaga mix alone, with much more powerups and a wider screen that allows more movement both to the player and the enemies it would be a really cool and much more enjoyable game.

Good job anyway!

Visit my new Freeware Games website: http://www.games-zoo.com
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2009 10:42
Game looks fantastic.

Did you draw all of your graphics yourself?

Mnemonix

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 23:42:59
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 23:42:59