Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Visceral & Organ. Audio Visual Toys. Demo Download here!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2009 22:14 Edited at: 24th Sep 2009 17:57

Click the images for links to videos...

A massive thanks to Kaisertal for his help with DLLs and the FMOD assist. Wouldn't have happened without you dude, so cheers!

I want robotic legs.
HavokDelta6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2009 22:58
oooooo

CODEZ PLEASE

how did you do it

GCSE results:
2 a's 3 b's AND
5 (FIVE) a*'s ^_^
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2009 13:05
Havok.

It's using the FMOD Dll, which allows you to read the FFT stream from an MP3, and use the data from this to sync, well, any kind of visual to music.

At the moment I'm working on converting the input from a line-in into data that Fmod can read. This would make it possible to have it react to live instrumentation.

I'm working on creating a much larger visualiser (with say, 100 different possible patterns, as part of an audio visual experience at the Tate Gallery in london.

I guess no-one is that interested!

I want robotic legs.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2009 13:11
I don't really have much to say but the videos look pretty cool. Organ looks especially impressive. It saddens me to hear mono sound when I watch videos on YouTube though.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2009 14:14
Quote: "It saddens me to hear mono sound when I watch videos on YouTube though."

LOL, well thanks for the feedback. It's sad when you spend time on something and hear nothing! I agree that youtube sound sucks. And it sucks even harder when the video you're uploading has already had it's audio compressed/raped by a screen recorder and an encoder. I'm packing Organ up as a demo for download, which will be available in a coupla hours.

I want robotic legs.
Dreamsenshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2009 21:49
YAY! Organ demo! It looks so really cool (just commented on YouTube), so I'd really like to see a demo of it. <-- sucker for music programs

Your error is my treasure. =^--^=
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2009 16:15 Edited at: 24th Sep 2009 21:14

Roll up! Roll up! Get your tech demo Here! Try Organ in your own home!

So, I've put together a little demo. Download is tiny - only 1.6MB.

I really need people to test this and give some feedback on the Frame Rate. I can't provide music because it would break copywrite law, but you can literally drag and drop MP3s into the same folder as the EXE and it will detect them. Note MP3 ONLY right now. No WMA or WAV or OGG. Maybe later I'll add that but for now nope. Also, it seems to work better with music with a definite bass/snare sound. i.e. Drum and Bass, hiphop, electronica and (bizarrely) classical. Not so great with dragonforce, but still quite fun.

Please please please let me know how you get on! Enjoy! Butters.

Edit! Forgot it in the Readme because I'm a retard...

once it's playing a track you can use the Left and Right arrow keys to skip forward and backward through all the tracks in the folder.

I want robotic legs.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Dreamsenshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2009 01:58
Pretty cool so far! The background color changes can be rough sometimes, so it'd be nice if they could somehow be more gradual, melting into each other rather than abrupt. I thought it would work best with songs with quick tempo (expectations met listening to "Lot in Life" by Fury of Solace! COOL!), but was pleasantly surprised when it did an excellent job with "Look No Further" by Dido. Disappointed that for some reason it doesn't see "Still Alive" by Lisa Miskovsky, even though it's an MP3. Not sure what that's about. Is it because the name of the file starts with/includes a number maybe?

Will play around with more. * snuggles it and calls it George *

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2009 09:55
wow. These are amazing!
And is that exhibition thing at the Tate definite? If so well done!

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2009 12:44
DreamSenshi,

Thanks so much for downloading and feeding back! It makes such a change! I agree about the colour changes, they should probably move on a curve rather than being so sudden. I'll look into that.

With regards to not finding the track, I think it might be that the first file it finds in the MP3 file check gets ignored. If you copy and paste that track so that there are 2 versions of it, you should be cool.

I've actually started to re-work the engine, because right now the way I've made it (in Organ) its very hard to add new patterns and algorthims. I've just finished altering it so that the EQ data is read and stored in arrays, and then the visuals themselves are each separate "phases" that the engine can smoothly switch between, meaning I can add as many Phases as I want...! If you're interested in helping me out with this, I could really do with a few dedicated testers (especially people who evidently have a different music taste from me!)

Blobby101.

Thanks for the feedback! I don't know if you actually downloaded or if it's just the video, but thanks for the comments. The Tate project is 60%, Tate themselves are on board, but it's going to be funded by a separate body (who I can't name right now for legal reasons), but it would easily be the coolest project that the funding body has done this year, so yeah, fingers crossed it should be all systems go. Pencilled in for June 2010.

I want robotic legs.
Dreamsenshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2009 03:30
Quote: "With regards to not finding the track, I think it might be that the first file it finds in the MP3 file check gets ignored. If you copy and paste that track so that there are 2 versions of it, you should be cool."

I played around with that a little bit, and when I removed the track number from the title (I added it a long time ago because all of the songs on the CD are different variations of the same song and therefore have the same title), and then it worked! All songs were included... at least, until I added two Blind Guardian songs, and then it only chose one of them. Not sure why it only picked up one and not the other, but maybe that's the same problem you were talking about. I'll try adding a copy of "The Eldar" and see if it shows up then... Yep! That worked for some odd reason. Looked really good, too!

Quote: "If you're interested in helping me out with this, I could really do with a few dedicated testers (especially people who evidently have a different music taste from me!)"

Sign me up! Especially with musically-oriented things, I'd be happy to help! =^--^= And, I have TONS of music to test with. Just got 6 more CDs in the last month, actually (Enya, Soundtrack to Once, Lily Allen's "It's Me Not You", The Veronicas "Hook Me Up", Bond's "Shine" and Amy Winehouse... the only I don't really care for so far) . . . Any genre you want, I probably have something. My tastes are eclectic, and I've spent years collecting everything I can. :} It's a little sick. If you saw my wish list on Amazon, you'd probably be horrified. Er, anywho . . . I'm totally up to the task! heehee.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2009 11:27
Dreamsenshi

Quick reply, I'll write back propperly later. But if you like Amy Winehouse and Lily, then you should certainly check out Alice Russel. She's waaaay more talented than the other 2, but because she doesn't take crack or bad mouth people in the media she isn't as famous. But... she's a freakin' genius for soul/funk... and I met her in Texas, which makes her double cool

I want robotic legs.
Dreamsenshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2009 17:53
Oo! Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely look up Alice Russel later. Amy Winehouse is really kind of meh (nice voice, really not-so-great songs... Lily's music amuses me because of its blatant honesty, but I'm really new to her). Anyway, I'll see if I can get some of Alice's stuff up on Pandora later on today on a new channel. Yay! Feeding my music addiction! heehee. Ah, there is too much music in the world to be enjoyed. Also planning on listening to some Kamelot later, on a completely different note . . . darn unintended pun . . .

Cyberdude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2009 07:42
Anyone who enjoys Visceral with probably be interested in Xnth.
[href]www.xynth.net[/href]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 17:04:32
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 17:04:32